Vancouver Magic Grand Prix

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Vancouver Magic Grand Prix

The LRR Crew takes on a Magic: The Gathering Tournament in Vancouver.

Read Full Article

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
No Alex using his other form of Magic? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/2449-Its-Magic]

Does this mean that some of us might be able to win against you guys at the Escapist Expo? Except Jer of course. I'll run away if he sits down across the table from me.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
I think that artist was very disappointed having not been ask to sign some flesh.

Nov 30, 2009
There's Jeremey Schofield, the guy who went undefeated all the way to the finals despite only having drafted the set once before, on the far left at 5:15.

Great video on the different people who all come together to make a GP.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Man, I woulda ran with those Predator's Gambits. They have always served me very well in limited. If your opponent is not playing the same color as you a lot of the time it can win the game for you by itself (and it would go well with Malignus). Then again, without knowing the entire card pool it's hard to say.

Yay Magic!

Lady Kathleen

Space Cowboy
Oct 8, 2009
Podunk said:
Man, I woulda ran with those Predator's Gambits. They have always served me very well in limited. If your opponent is not playing the same color as you a lot of the time it can win the game for you by itself (and it would go well with Malignus). Then again, without knowing the entire card pool it's hard to say.

Yay Magic!
I don't like enchantments much unless they're very good. They let your opponent get a two-for-one on you and cost you card advantage. Also Malignus is not that great. By the time you cast him, you're getting a 3/3 for five... hardly good value.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Lady Kathleen said:
Podunk said:

Yay Magic!
I don't like enchantments much unless they're very good. They let your opponent get a two-for-one on you and cost you card advantage. Also Malignus is not that great. By the time you cast him, you're getting a 3/3 for five... hardly good value.
Yeah, I wouldn't throw the Gambit into my standard deck or anything, but Limited (particularly Avacyn Restored Limited) you're looking at a lot less removal for things like that. Often you will get multiple good turns of use out of it before it goes away. And really, +2/+1 and intimidate for one is pretty sweet. Best if you can back it up with some Barter in Blood or Demon Taskmasters or something, but it's not even bad as a splash, depending on the match-up.

Not going to argue about Malignus though. He is quite bad. Decent for Commander, I guess? Because if you can work the diplomacy he'll pretty much always be a 20/20.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Wait, something doesn't add up. Who wrote the article again? It's posted by Graham, but he scored 18 points, so it's impossible for him to go 1-4 drop. So did Kathleen write it? She's the only one with 3 points from the LRR team (note - I didn't watch the video, because my comp mighty lags right now).

Anyways, I really envy you guys for having a GP so close to you. It's super fun, but living in Poland, the best I could hope for is Prague from time to time. I only attended one GP in Milan last year (went 5-4, not bad for a first timer and a noob). Not that it matters, because I'm banned from playing competitive MtG due to my job.[/whining]

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
The article is by Kathleen, and should've been posted under her name.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
A Magic Gathering, A Wedding and a Funeral sounds like the Geeky sequel to Four Weddings and a Funeral.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Graham_LRR said:
The article is by Kathleen, and should've been posted under her name.
Thanks for clearing up my confusion then - your apparent comeback in the video and the tone of the article seemed to clash a little!
Also I'm still confused at Matt not playing - I mean, he was on the opening train shot... :p

Dorano

Aug 29, 2011
I got to watch Graham play while I was there. It was really cool. ALSO Graham is the first person I thought I recognized to be the actual person.