Rise for This Live Action Assassin's Creed III Trailer

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Rise for This Live Action Assassin's Creed III Trailer

The latest Assassin's Creed trailer shows you the price of freedom.

There's another Assassin's Creed trailer out, and while it doesn't show any gameplay it does introduce you to the game world. Soldiers, politicians, farmers, mothers and children, all stand up against the British Empire and say No More. The trailer was released for the 4th of July, also known in the United States as Independence Day; the date when the Declaration of Independence was finally approved and signed.

The latest entrant to the franchise is set in colonial America and features half-Mohawk Connor Kenway Ratonhnhaké:ton as the eponymous killer. The game's timeline will stretch up to 1783, so it ends in the same year that the Treaty of Paris which ended the Revolutionary War - and pretty much trampled on the concerns of Mohawks like Connor - is signed.

Assassin's Creed III is due out in October for those with consoles, and in November for the PC brigade.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/assassins-creed/]

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Nice to see they're going for a nice even balance between the two sides...

Seriously though wtf happened to the 'everyone is a shade of grey' that previous AC games used? All I got from that was "The British are c***s, lets kill them"

I knew ubisoft would buckle and make America the good guys, cant risk offending weak sensibilities in their biggest market, never mind creative integrity.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
When I refuse to learn the history of a country I will never see?

What a ridiculous, American attitude. I'm rooting for the British.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
Now to hope there's an alternate ending in which the British win. Realism? History? Screw that.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
"no, we will not be anti-Britain." well, your advertising seems to disagree. sorry, but i thought we were assassinating on both sides? so why do i only see blood on the redcoats? i thought that it would be interesting seeing this event from a perspective of a native-american. because for him it doesn't make any difference who wins. but no, Americans are the good guys and the British are bad.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
It's making it damn hard for me to like this game as a Brit. I mean it's saying we're the bad guys pretty damn clearly despite that being less than true ( http://www.cracked.com/article_18442_5-reasons-founding-fathers-were-kind-dicks.html ).

There's definitely some preposterous notion of black and white that's being enforced by this game. The past two Assassins Creed games weren't even remotely based on the conflict of the time and it had you assassinating people on both sides of the war.

I mean I know it's only a game but for a series that accurately represented the cities of the time to the point that it's instantly recognisable to people who've been there, it doesn't seem to care even remotely for an accurate portrayal of the war.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Be interesting if theres an alternate one for the UK advert.

I'm still rooting for there to be some twist as betrayal and wrongful causes are all over the Assassins Creed franchise, the internet aftermath could be fun to watch and throw popcorn at too.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Lumber Barber said:
So this is The Patriot in video game form, right?
Yeah, pretty much.

Karma168 said:
Nice to see they're going for a nice even balance between the two sides...

Seriously though wtf happened to the 'everyone is a shade of grey' that previous AC games used? All I got from that was "The British are c***s, lets kill them"
I was fairly sure that attitude went out of the window by AC2, which is why the first one is still my favourite in the series, they brought it back in Revelations, at least, but something about Revelations just bored me and the showmanship of the combat was kinda taking away from the, already awkward, flow by that point.

I wish I'd used the 'country I'll never see' argument when I was doing the American West in GCSE history. Besides, what's the kid going to learn? By this point there was barely two centuries of 'American History'

Pm0n3y

An emaciated shadow
Jul 29, 2009
Hmm. 10 posts in, and no one's made a joking comment comparing that last look of Connor to any of the Dark Knight Rises posters? I'm proud of you guys.

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
I don't mind there being evil redcoats. But I've been hoping Ubi would do something intelligent and well written, this just looks like they went the easiest route to appeal to the american market.

Shame.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
DalekJaas said:
Yeah, that one quote pretty much speaks for itself. (I've studied history, and didn't know whether to laugh or curse at that point, so I did both...) I still look forward to the game, as the gameplay seems as solid as ever, but I'm really worried about the story here...
By the way, anyone seen that figurine included in the most expensive pre-order package? Guess they haven't made one with the British flag yet...

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Ubisoft - "We will not be anti-British!"

Really? Well lets see what's we've got so far.

- Box art with a British solider 2 seconds away from getting a tomahawk in the face.

- Limited Edition not being released in Britain

- Trailer pretty much making out that the British are actually Mordors orcs in disguise.

Being British, I have no problem playing this game and tomahawking some Brits, but come on.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
DalekJaas said:

Yeah, no kidding. As a military history major I found that line morbidly offensive. I understand that there are people who don't like history, but just the way the line was delivered came off extremely bigoted.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
1) The guy caning that kid is the fucking spit of Harrison Ford

2) Either they're ripping the shit out of Americans with that kid, or that line is just straight-faced embarrassing

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
DalekJaas said:

That line seriously took the piss.

The British did some really cuntish things in its time as Top Dog but in the Americas it was, comparatively speaking, white as the driven snow.

Woodsey said:
2) Either they're ripping the shit out of Americans with that kid, or that line is just straight-faced embarrassing
That's the thing, it was delivered straight faced with not a hint anywhere in the trailer of a dissenting opinion or sarcasm. My eyes literally goggled at that line.

If it is a stealthy dig then it is possibly the most po faced delivery I've ever seen.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
As an American, I can kinda see why so many people would be pissed at this. :/

Well if it makes you guys feel better, I won't be buying this game. Although that's mainly because I lost interest in the first game part-way though.