NiGHTS into Dreams HD Remake Becomes Reality

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
NiGHTS into Dreams HD Remake Becomes Reality

The Sega Saturn cult classic will soar onto XBLA, PSN, and Steam.

Sega's last two major consoles were a veritable cache of cult hits. From Panzer Dragoon Saga to Jet Grind Radio [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/9687-E3-Preview-Jet-Set-Radio-Vita], the ill-fated Saturn and Dreamcast may fade away, but their games will live on as long as fans keep their memories alive. Sega will help fans do just that come this fall. NiGHTS into Dreams, one of the Sega Saturn's most fondly remembered titles, is getting the full HD treatment, and will rear its coxcombed head for download on Xbox Live, the PlayStation network, and Steam.

The specifics of the HD remake sound fairly by-the-numbers: In addition to improved graphics and a widescreen aspect ratio, the game will receive achievements, leaderboard options, and a "Saturn mode," which will allow players to experience NiGHTS as it originally appeared. "We've gotten a lot of requests about this game over the years, and are very happy to be able to give both former Saturn owners and new players a chance to play it in its most beautiful form to date," says Chris Olson, digital vice president at Sega.

While Dreamcast games have done fairly well with remakes and re-releases on the current crop of consoles, Saturn titles have been a little harder to come by. Assuming that NiGHTS sells well, which beloved property should Sega target for a remake next?

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-05-nights-into-dreams-hd-announced]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I think between this, Jet Set Radio and Sonic Adventure 2, Sega is actively trying to take any money I have.

Oh, and next should be Shenmue.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Shhhh shhh *strokes Sega* there there babe, we both said things we didn't mean, it's all right now.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
You got Jet Set Radio going, but how bout Jet Set Radio Future too? That one was awesome, I think I enjoyed that one more then the original. STill, good to see they are takeing a few less risky endevors to stabelize their company, before they do any bigger projects. Lets face it, a lot of their recent original properties wern't doing so well. Binary Domain, Vanquish, wern't exactly best sellers as far as I know.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Panzer Dragoon needs the whole damn series to be HD'd and released on console.

1 <3 PD

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Awesome! Now, Shenmue and Shenmue II, please. Double points for Shenmue III.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Much love for the Saturn this week. Marvel Super Heroes and now this :D Now we just need an announcement for X-Men vs Street Fighter and Fighters Megamix. That'll make me a happy Hazy :D

Oh and Sega should hurry the hell up and announce Sonic Adventure 2! :D

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
I'd be more excited if I had any of those systems or a steam account. And if this came out near the same time as the Japanese PS2 remake. And if it had the same amount of content as said Japanese version.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Antonio Torrente said:
What's with the HD remake these days first FF7 now this?
because we love our old games, and have fond memories of them. but, speaking from experience, going back and playing it with original graphics doesn't always really allow for full nostalgia. the thing is, back in the day FFVII looked pretty much the same as everything else out there. the graphics didn't stand out so horribly to the point of breaking immersion.

i like when they modernize the graphics because even if they're not the best of this generation, it doesn't matter, the graphics are now at least at or above what we perceive as a default mimimum standard so that they don't interfere with the gameplay.

but i'll conceed that some part of nostalgia is being able to look back on something with the demeanor of a more wizened, refined taste and juxtapose what you now hold as default to what you once did. so the new graphics do rob you of that bit of nostalgia.

Mestraal

Jan 18, 2010
Sonic 3D: Flickie's Island is crying for a HD rerelease.
No, I lie.
That game is horrible.
Always loved Bug! though.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
This looks really cool. I missed out on the full NiGHTs experience by not having SEGA consoles but I played it round a friend's place ages ago. It was fun so I'll be keeping an eye out on it.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
NiGHTS to me, justified my Saturn ownership and DEFINED ages 10-14 for me, I must have poured over 200 solo hours into that game and a further 150 with my friends, then it and my Saturn got lost in a move, I haven't had a copy since, but it did lead to one of the most beautiful moments me and my mother shared.

I saw a copy in the window of Game Station a few years ago, with a Saturn, but payday wasn't for another 4 days, so I waited patiently, got there after work, only to find it gone, I was mortified when I went to my mothers that evening for a family meal and she told me this;
"If ever, you see something like that again and it's a few days from pay day, tell me, I'll buy it for you, I know how much you loved that game." I almost cried.

BEST MOTHER EVAR!

rayen020

May 20, 2009
god i miss sega consoles...

Lessee games i want remade... Well another phantasy Star done correctly would be nice, toy commander, Panzer Dragoon, jet grind radio, powerstone.... you what? dreamcast/saturn didn't have a huge library, let's just do the whole lot. hell sonic adventure 1 and 2 (still think those are great games) are already out of the way.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
^ Captcha; Less is more.

Actually I want to see Shining Force III get an internation HD release.