Telltale's The Walking Dead Revives This August

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Telltale's The Walking Dead Revives This August

Telltale Games promises more communication about future releases.

If you've been playing Telltale's Walking Dead game, then you'll know that one of the biggest frustrations has nothing to do with gameplay but with release dates. Episodes 1 and 2 have come and gone, but players have been left hanging ever since. Episode 2 was hardly a fast walker either, and came out much later than anyone had anticipated. Fans of the series have been understandably annoyed at this, but the developer has now announced that Episode 3 is due in August. It can't say when in August, but Telltale definitely thinks it'll be sometime around then, maybe.

"Our goal from day one has been to deliver your game episodes as quickly as possible," said Telltale in a blog post today, "[and] we will strive to improve our communication with you so that you know what's happening." Though it was unable to give a precise date, Telltale did promise that it would do all that it could to make sure the release for all platforms and regions took place on the same day, or as close to that as possible.

The Episodes so far have garnered a lot of favorable attention [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9790-The-Walking-Dead-Episodes-1-2-Review], even though - or perhaps because - they don't focus on the activities of the original Walking Dead cast. You play as Lee, an ex-con turned survivor who has to somehow deal both with the zombies and his fractious fellow survivors. Slow release dates have marred an otherwise fun experience but - fingers crossed - Telltale will be able to deal with this, in upcoming installments.

Sources: Telltale Blog [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-06-walking-dead-episode-3-out-middle-of-august]

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
August? Thanks for killing what little hope it would be out at the end of the month, the waiting for ep2 was bad enough (especially considering there was next to nothing in terms of communication from telltale), then they released it early on xbox (why not make them wait 2 days like the rest of us?), that kind of annoyed me because i HAD to buy the season pass since i'm a pc gamer.

If i knew the monthly release date system was going to go out the window i would have waited till all the episodes were out also, i do know one thing if i ever buy a telltale game it will be after all the episodes for that game are out, it's rediculous the amount of communication that there was, first owners had to hear that ep2 was coming out late june from an E3 video, and even then they weren't very clear about when other than end of the month(there was 90-100pages on a forum thread on there website just guessing the date).

I don't think i've posted such a negative post as this one other than possibly when dragon age 2 came out.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Anyone who is considering getting this: Wait for the full release.

It's really, really good and you aren't going to want to wait three months after each release. It's killing me.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
devotedsniper said:
If i knew the monthly release date system was going to go out the window i would have waited till all the episodes were out also, i do know one thing if i ever buy a telltale game it will be after all the episodes for that game are out, it's rediculous the amount of communication that there was, first owners had to hear that ep2 was coming out late june from an E3 video, and even then they weren't very clear about when other than end of the month(there was 90-100pages on a forum thread on there website just guessing the date).
I think they haven't yet realised what a problem they got themselves into with such careless release dates. 90% of the people will probably have the same reaction as you when the time comes for the 2nd season of this game or some other TT game - they're just gonna wait for the whole thing to come out.

And when the sales don't work out for the first episode, they're gonna be in a jam, because if they rely on cash income mid-projects (I'm assuming they're still basically working from one project to another and are not as big as Ubisoft or similar). Basically I think they might have dug themselves a grave with this, or at least a big heap of trouble.

Now they announce the same thing they said for episode 2 as if they're making an effort to cut down on the time an episode gets released.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
anian said:
I think they haven't yet realised what a problem they got themselves into with such careless release dates. 90% of the people will probably have the same reaction as you when the time comes for the 2nd season of this game or some other TT game - they're just gonna wait for the whole thing to come out.

And when the sales don't work out for the first episode, they're gonna be in a jam, because if they rely on cash income mid-projects (I'm assuming they're still basically working from one project to another and are not as big as Ubisoft or similar). Basically I think they might have dug themselves a grave with this, or at least a big heap of trouble.

Now they announce the same thing they said for episode 2 as if they're making an effort to cut down on the time an episode gets released.
Yeah well i think 30-40% of that 90% wouldn't mind so much if they bothered communicating with their customers properly, it's pretty poor that we had to find out that ep2 wasn't coming till the end of june by an e3 video, and then there was the actual release of ep 2 where they didn't even bother to explain to the customers why the xbox was getting the release earlier when it was one of the reasons it came out so late (certification).

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
Is it really that much of an issue? As far as I'm concerned it's been pretty cool just dipping in for a couple of hours every month or two. Seriously, just chill the fuck out.