Tales of Xillia Heads West

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Tales of Xillia Heads West

English-speaking gamers will soon be able to play Namco Bandai's latest Tales game.

Fans at Namco Bandai's slice of Japan Expo in France got some exciting news today: the company's latest entry in the RPG Tales series - Namco Tales Studios' swan song game - is officially coming to western shores. Tales of Xillia, for PS3 only, will be released in the US, Europe, and Australia sometime in 2013.

The 13th flagship title in the expansive Tales series, Xillia was the last game developed by dedicated Tales developer Namco Tales Studios before it merged into publisher Namco Bandai Games. The studio, originally known as Wolfteam, had been the primary developer of Tales games since the series' inception. Despite the studio's dissolution, Tales of Xillia was received well in Japan and a direct sequel has already been announced for later this year.

Since Tales of Destiny first hit US shores on the PS1 over a decade ago, the Tales franchise has captured English-speaking fans worldwide. But Western localization of the games has never been a guarantee - for example, although Tales of Destiny made it to the US, its true sequel, Tales of Destiny 2, (which is not Tales of Destiny II) did not follow despite being one of the best-selling in the series worldwide. So, while not entirely unexpected, the announcement is solidly good news to fans of the Tales series. The specific release date and other details, such as language options, are currently under wraps, but will hopefully be revealed soon.

Source: Kotaku [https://twitter.com/#!/TalesofU]

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Good! Tales of Graces had TERRIBLE gameplay all around, horrible graphics, mediocre story, only good thing about it was fully voiced. thankfully they went back to the old style! Here's hoping there is an actual fully traversable world map.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I believe this image sums up my feelings on this news. There has been a significant void in the JRPG market in the slightly west of center hemisphere.

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/tumblrm6ezgwzt6w1rthhn5.gif/]

KingKamor

Jul 8, 2008
I'm happy that Xillia is coming over (I just have to finish up Graces now, which is fun as all hell), but it'd be cool if you guys actually got a screenshot from the actual game. The front page thumbnail for the article is from Tales of Graces, while the one in the article itself is from Tales of Vesperia. I'm not asking you guys to be overly knowledgeable about the series, but a simple Google search does a body good.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
The sooner the better! I wonder how it compares to Graces, which had some of the best gameplay in the series...
What the hay, they're all super fun!

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Yay, for those who didn't play it already.
I imported it and it was a pretty good game.

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
KingKamor said:
I'm happy that Xillia is coming over (I just have to finish up Graces now, which is fun as all hell), but it'd be cool if you guys actually got a screenshot from the actual game. The front page thumbnail for the article is from Tales of Graces, while the one in the article itself is from Tales of Vesperia. I'm not asking you guys to be overly knowledgeable about the series, but a simple Google search does a body good.
Good eye - the thumbnail and screenshot are just meant to indicate the Tales series in general and not Xillia in particular, the idea being that people are more likely to recognize games they've already had a chance to play. I understand that a lot of Tales fans follow the series very closely and would know what Xillia looks like, but I wanted to give some context for people who perhaps have only played one or two of the games.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Took you long enough!

What the hell have you been doing all this time when we asked for this over a YEAR ago!?

I'm happy and pissed at the SAME TIME!

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Of course this had to be announced right after I complete it. =p

And I just bought Tales of Innocence R too...

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
YAY! Tales of Xillia *happydances* :D lets hope the same happens with Xillia 2 down the line also now!

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Only for PS3? Sis will be pissed, she loves the Tales series but doesn't have a PS3, more exclusive bullshit.

I fucking bet Persona 5 will be PS3 exclusive as well.
Well, most Tales games are getting released on Sony's consoles (only exceptions are Innocence and Hearts, which are Nintendo DS exclusives).

devilmore

Nov 18, 2009
Good...good...with Tales of Graces F finally ported and Xilia announced, all we are missing now is the PS3 Version of Tales of Vepseria. I want mah pirate loli!

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
I fucking bet Persona 5 will be PS3 exclusive as well.
Well 3 and 4 were only on the PS2, and P3:FES just came out on the PSN, and some of the others are on PSP, so yea it will be on PS3 and maybe eventually the vita

OT: Words cannot express my excitement, so I'll let this video do that

I thought Xillia was a lost cause, super glad to see it come over