Update: PlayStation All-Stars Will Battle it Out This October

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Update: PlayStation All-Stars Will Battle it Out This October

Bring the hurt in style with the PlayStation All-Stars pre-order costumes.

SuperBot Entertainment, the developers behind PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, have been rolling out more and more information about their upcoming mash-up brawler. At E3, they announced that the PlayStation title would have a PS Vita counterpart. They also brought two more challengers into the ring [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117639-E3-Play-as-Nathan-Drake-Big-Daddy-in-PlayStation-All-Stars]: Uncharted's Nathan Drake and Bioshock's Big Daddy. Now there's even more news in the form of a release date. According to the PlayStation Blog, both the console and handheld versions of PlayStation All-Stars will hit shelves in North America on October 23, with the European release one day later.

It doesn't end there, though. Head down to your favorite retailer and pre-order the game to unlock an alternate costume for each character in the game - the eight currently known fighters and the remaining roster that has yet to be revealed. Sly Cooper slips into his Robin Hood outfit from Thieves in Time, Drake dons his winter gear from Uncharted 2, and the Big Daddy turns into a lovable doll from Bioshock 2. Check out all the new outfits in the image above.

More details are coming soon. Very soon, in fact: SuperBot will be announcing the next two combatants later today at a presentation in Las Vegas, at the Evolution Championship Series. Who will these fighters be? Solid Snake? Cole MacGrath? Vice President of Smackdowns Kevin Butler [http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/05/18/kevin-butler-confirmed-for-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-line-up/]? We'll soon find out.

Update: The cat's out of the bag - literally. The two new characters have been revealed as Heihachi Mishima [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toro_(cartoon_character)], a classic fighter from the Tekken franchise. Other updates include assurances that this is not the end of the All-Stars lineup, nor are these the only alternate costumes that players can use in-game. They are, however, only available via pre-order.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/07/06/pre-order-bonuses-and-release-date-for-playstation-all-stars/]

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'm actually just happy with the fact that they included Parappa the Rapper in the game. He's been critically under-utilized.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
If Cole McGrath doesn't show up in one way or another, I question them even making a Playstation All-Stars throwdown.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
I can't help but think the roster would have been so much better on the first playstation. I can even remember hoping for a smash brothers style game for the playstation as a kid. Just thinking of the characters...

Crash, Spyro, Klonoa, Abe, Rayman, Sir Dan, Lara Croft, Jersey Devil, Niki/Fergus, Lomax...

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
BehattedWanderer said:
If Cole McGrath doesn't show up in one way or another, I question them even making a Playstation All-Stars throwdown.
Don't worry, Cole will most certainly be in the game. His voice actor (along with Snake's voice actor) have been credited as voicing him on IMDB. Those two are all but confirmed. And even without that, he's a fairly obvious choice anyhow.

Anyways, I think some of those costumes look really neat. Especially the hugable Big Daddy. At the very least, this game understands how to do alternate costumes better than Smash Bros does (where they either just give them boring generic alternate colors, or give them a new costume... but call it a new character).

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Calcium said:
I can't help but think the roster would have been so much better on the first playstation. I can even remember hoping for a smash brothers style game for the playstation as a kid. Just thinking of the characters...

Crash, Spyro, Klonoa, Abe, Rayman, Sir Dan, Lara Croft, Jersey Devil, Niki/Fergus, Lomax...
As I've said on...a lot of the other articles on this game; the fact that we're getting it now instead of on the PSX or PS2 is probably this game's biggest tragedy. I still think I'll be picking it up but other than 3D Dot Hero, Sackboy, Cole MacGrath and, yellow-racer-guy from Modnation, I can't really think of any other potential mascots Sony can use. I think they could potentially get away with their new Spider-Man...Also I think it's a bit of a cop-out that Big Daddy is there since he's multiplatform BUT his presence does make me hopeful that we'll see Kain or Razael, another pair of characters who have fallen to the wayside this generation.

Also, I hope there are unlockable costumes in-game...you know, that you don't need to buy/download but that you get by actually playing the game.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Can't waaaaaaaaaait.

Also I don't think older playstation mascots would've been as fun. The good point of it being made now is that it can use modern AND old. I'm sure they'll add Crash and Spyro in there eventually. I would be ok with them being dlc even.

I don't own a Wii and I'm kind of sick of Mario and pals, plus the double game levels looks pretty sweet.

Also big daddy. BIG DADDY :D

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I'm rather disappointed that you need to preorder the game in order to get the extra skins.

The

Jan 24, 2012
I think Cole McGrath, Ratchet, Clank, and Jak are most likely to be in the game.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
October, the month that the Wii U is to be released. Hmmm...

NAH! that's just a coincidence

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Okay, so with the update, we've got Toro and Heihachi in there now. Toro is unsurprising. Heihachi... is actually a bit of a surprise. A fighting game character in a fighting game? What insanity is this?

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
I like how around half of these aren't even Playstation exclusive characters.
Well I think that's fitting in it's own way. Considering Sony's massive success with the PS1&2 was because they had an absurd 3rd party lineup due to Nintendo pissing off their major partners by continuing to use a cartridge system so they could still have their iron grip. Though I think it would have been way more fitting for this game to be a 3D fighter since it was basically the Saturn/N64/PS1 console generation that really pushed full 3D games if I remember this correctly. Though I wish I knew more about the past I only started really gaming around the PS2. Well if I'm wrong I'll edit it out.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Noodles are the best, no doubt can't deny. Taste better than water, but don't ask me why.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Just hurry up and announce Crash Bandicoot already! Seriously if he's not in it something's wrong

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
i'm not quite understanding how they are determining characters for this game, like some ive never heard of and are playstation exclusives, but Big Daddy? bioshock wasnt exclusive. So in theory we should see maybe a final fantasy character, or even Sora from kingdom hearts. Heck id like to see Solid snake and Sonic make an appearance since snake is only on the playstation and sonics on everything. Guess we shall see since they need to make the roster as big as super smash bros and we only have maybe less than half of it.