The Wizard of Oz Meets JRPGs in Beyond the Yellow Brick Road

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
The Wizard of Oz Meets JRPGs in Beyond the Yellow Brick Road

Previously Japan-only RPG Riz-Zoawd is coming Stateside as The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road, a new take on L. Frank Baum's classic tale that tells the story of what happened to Dorothy after she made it to Oz.

First it was Grease [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92824-Grease-The-Videogame], now it's The Wizard of Oz. Seems game companies these days can't get enough of turning Movies Your Mom Loves (or should it be grandma?) into videogame adaptations. Beyond the Yellow Brick Road, XSeed's take on the Oz mythos, however, sounds like it might be a far cry from the MGM classic we all know and love (or hate).

The point of Beyond the Yellow Brick Road, XSeed says, is to show "a unique new perspective on what happened after reaching the end of the Yellow Brick Road," hence the title. Here it seems the focus isn't so much on Dorothy getting to Oz as it is what happens afterward: turns out that the land has been taken over by four evil witches and it's up to Dorothy, her dog Toto, and her pals to take them down.

"XSeed is extremely happy to be taking part in bringing this beloved tale to life in an interactive format," said Jun Iwasaki, president of XSeed. "Everyone knows the story of how Dorothy arrived in Oz, but this is a unique interpretation on what happened afterwards."

Well, that definitely sounds like a premise for a videogame. Beyond the Brick Road takes on the form of an RPG, featuring what XSeed calls "an unorthodox yet accessible method of gameplay." As Dorothy, you explore a 3D Oz using a virtual trackball on the touch screen. When you run into bad guys, you'll engage in first-person, turn-based battles with "multiple customization options" and "involved gameplay."

The box art for the game looks rather benign, suggesting this is very much the Oz from the movie, but the screens, which show the game's somewhat surrealistic color palette and weird green ghost monster thingies, suggest that this could be a quirkier take on the source material than you, or, rather, your mom, might be expecting. Just don't be surprised when she calls you up one night and asks you: "Sweetie, what do HP and MP stand for?"

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
While I'm interested by this, I'd urge folks to play Emerald City Confidential in the mean time. Brilliant take on Oz, and a fantastic game.

Dragonblade146

Dec 6, 2008
Please.
No.
Wizard of Oz, is just fine as a book and movie.
I hope to god this game fails...
I don't want to see a fantastic childhood memmory turned into a JRPG...

Woem

May 28, 2009
I'll wait for the remake of the movie by Tim Burton. Featuring Johnny Depp as Dorothy.

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
Well, bonus points if XSeed did their research and brought in Ozma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Ozma

Weirder things have come from videogames. This one just happens to come from Frank L. Baum's Oz series.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I think a J-RPG suits the setting and story. I mean, most J-RPG's are bright and picturesque anyway, and feature little girls fighting monsters.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Sorry, but if the main character is a little girl, it SHOULDN'T BE MADE IN JAPAN!!!

[small]......plus, she travels with three males of various races and a pet dog......[/small]

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Huh. Not sure what to think. Are they really basing it off of the movie? I would think the books would provide a little more story fodder.

HardRockSamurai said:
Sorry, but if the main character is a little girl, it SHOULDN'T BE MADE IN JAPAN!!!
...what?

JenXXXJen

Mar 11, 2009
woem said:
I'll wait for the remake of the movie by Tim Burton. Featuring Johnny Depp as Dorothy.
I would worship that film.

To be honest, it's a good source idea, but this game looks kinda crap.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Hm. I'm confused, intrigued, and slightly worried at the same time.
I can't help but wonder what the battles are going to be like.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Well this is interesting. I'll see what happens with it in the near future.

Wake me up when there's an adaptation of The Looking Glass Wars doing the rounds (and no, Alice doesn't count).

A big red rooster

Jul 9, 2009
This is going to be bizarre. A classic American movies mashed up with the ideas and themes involved with JRPGs. This cannot end well.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
This may be a stupid question but I have read through the article a few times now and can't seem to find the answer. What system is it for? The Wizard of OZ is just ripe for a JRPG type game IMHO