Help Choose Which Indie Games Get on Steam

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Help Choose Which Indie Games Get on Steam

Valve's new Steam Greenlight puts new indie games up to a popular vote.

Ever since Valve vastly extended the number of third-party titles offered on Steam back in 2006, indie games have had a bit of a tough time joining the party. While winners of the Independent Games Festival usually make an appearance, the sheer volume of indie titles out there divided by Valve's limited validation resources means a low percentage make it to the popular distribution platform. That's going to change soon though, with Valve's new community-rating service for indie games called "Steam Greenlight."

Set for launch in August, Steam Greenlight will allow indie developers to upload information about their game - including a video and at least four images - for the Steam community to vote on. The process and technology for the new service are based on Steam Workshop, which was released in October 2011 to help publish user-created game mods and other content. Valve states in its FAQ page about the new service, "We know there is still a lot of room for improvement in making Steam distribution easier and faster; this is just a first step in that direction."

Screenshots released of the program indicate that, like the beloved Lego Cuusoo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118230-Portal-2-Leaps-to-Lego] which brought Minecraft Lego to life, Steam Greenlight is set to require a minimum number of votes to bring a game to Steam. However, Valve states that games on Steam Greenlight don't have to get a certain number of votes or ranking to qualify for Steamification - they just need to be "getting traction." There's no expiration date either, so games can stay up on the service as long as the developer wants. Entry to Steam Greenlight is also easy - there's no planned pre-verification process, so all a developer needs to do is own at least one Steam game themselves and they can submit games for instant public voting.

Valve is encouraging developers to submit their games early in the development process to, as its FAQ states, "get great feedback and a good start in building a community of fans." Games early in development can be submitted as 'concept' pieces, while more polished ones go up as 'playable games.' Only developers can submit games for review though, so if you want to see your favorite indie game up on Steam Greenlight you'll have to ask the original developer to make an entry.

Source: PC Gamer [http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/]

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Hi five for Valve.
That is what they get for being awesome.
Also my money.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
*Ahem*

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Also: This is yet another reason I need to actually, y'know, work on building all those games I've been planning for forever. It's getting to the point where I'm worse than my writer friends at getting projects done.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
About fucking time. Steam's QA when it comes to indie game verification has been utterly screwed recently. Handing it over to those who actually are buying the games is a good step. Maybe we'll finally get games like UNepic Game actually land on Steam, and less games like Revelations 2012. ...maybe we'll get more crap. Point is that Steam admits there's a problem.

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
Sounds pretty sweet. I certainly take part in it when it's officially released.

"Captcha" = time lord... Reminds me that I have the need to watch some Doctor Who...

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Huzzah! So many games that needed this, and now they have their chance! Can't wait for Intrusion 2 to dominate this =3

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
I'll just keep using GamersGate they let Indie developers sell their games without jumping through absurd hoops.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I look forward to having absolutely no money after I buy all of the indie games.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
And some people wonder why most Valve fans arent sore about HL3 not happening.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
kitsuta said:
However, Valve states that games on Steam Greenlight don't have to get a certain number of votes or ranking to qualify for Steamification - they just need to be "getting traction."
That's not too different than the Lego stuff, actually. Lego just promises a reply at X votes. There's nothing stopping them from replying before it reaches the limit, and indeed they have commented on projects when they were under that limit. Usually to say "Sorry, this isn't possible because of guns/copyright/whatever." but still. They clearly pay as much attention to what's "getting traction", they just offer a defined target for fans who want a response.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
Thanks, Valve. It's nice to see that some indie studios will have the opportunity to get their products out there. I wonder if Origin will start anything like this (...yeah right).

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Elmoth said:
TheKasp said:
This is Valve. In order to get the people to accept their joke of a DRM they add things where you actually get the feel of power and feel smarter afterwards (trading, sales, now this).

Can't wait to annoy my friends to vote for game XYZ :)
Yeah it's such a joke.

It's so stupid they only managed to fool almost 25 million people.

Not you and me though, we're the smart ones.
*cough* over 40 million *cough*

<.<

gigastar said:
And some people wonder why most Valve fans arent sore about HL3 not happening.
Exactly. I'm a big fan of the Half-Life series, but I'm willing to wait for the third chapter.

Why? As is evident, it's because Valve keeps churning out the "good shit". (pardon) They not only keep releasing stellar games but they also keep adding awesome new features to Steam and their other services.

But for now, I'm going to sit back and eagerly await the complaints from the Valve haters. Can't wait to see how they try to spin this news item to make it seem like Valve's even more "evil" than before and prove that this new Greenlight feature is somehow designed to rip us all off and rape our grandmothers.

I've got the popcorn if anyone wants to bring the drinks.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Apart from this reinforcing valve's grip as market leader in digital distribution I struggle to find the negative here, this is a great move for indie devs whose games often get ignored otherwise. Yeh think I can feel safe in thumbing up this news. *thumbs up*

Can't will till greenlight arrives and we get to vote for some games or genres that are usually neglected outside of indies... Visual novel type games anyone? :p

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Fantastic news for several of my Kickstarter pet projects. This trend in pushing Steam towards a more community-driven platform is an absolute masterstroke from Valve and believe me I'm definitely no Valve fanboy.

Really hope to see other platforms, currently playing catchup to Steam, taking notes on Valve's marketing here. A bit more loosing the reigns and allowing community investment in their software would allow certain companies to attenuate their reputations as non-innovative control freaks.

Jan 27, 2011
Oh....My...Gosh.

This could be HUGELY beneficial to the team I'm part of. Once we have a demo ready we will probably be hitting this pretty hard.

Valve...this is why we love you. Because you love us. :D