Canine Cosplayer Nails Okami's Amaterasu

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Canine Cosplayer Nails Okami's Amaterasu

This fluffy quadruped will melt your heart with his divine power of cute.

It's no surprise that game characters are popular cosplay subjects - between their intricate costume designs, compelling stories, and entertaining personalities, they're just as fun to play in meatspace as they are in their virtual worlds. Unfortunately for us poor furless bipeds, the perfect cosplay for one much-beloved and strikingly beautiful character - the wolf goddess Amaterasu, from cult classic Okami - remains out of reach. While many fans have bravely made an attempt using fursuits and human re-interpretations of the character, Dante the adorable canine cosplayer has just shown them all up. Sorry everyone.

Since dogs have some issues designing costumes without opposable thumbs, Dante got a lot of help from his owner David Kogan, who goes by Volko-Dav online and is also a cosplayer. The costume itself includes the iconic divine instrument 'Divine Retribution,' which is attached to Dante's back using a padded custom-made harness that also attaches the wings to Dante's front legs. Kogan draws the facial markings on Dante using a non-toxic food-coloring marker. Missing pieces of the costume include the markings on the body, which would be hidden by Dante's long fur, and the clouds on his feet, which would impede his movement too much.

[gallery=827]

Kogan, who premiered the costume with Dante during Otakon 2011, takes great pains to ensure Dante has fun as Amaterasu. Fortunately Dante is a naturally social dog and enjoys all the attention he gets from Okami fans, but any dog gets anxious after too much new stimuli so cosplay sessions and photoshoots are kept fairly short. Dante is happy to carry things on his back, likely due to his Samoyed sled dog heritage, but the harness is well-padded to avoid strain and Kogan does not leave the costume on for long as it may cause overheating and matting.

To see the full development process, spray-paint-on-foam-insulation mistake and all, you can head over to Kogan's photos of Dante and other Amaterasu cosplayers [http://volkodavcosplay.com/okami-dog-cosplay/]. And if this inspires you to construct a costume for your own pet, please make sure it has fun and stays comfortable.

Kogan offers some final advice about cosplaying with pets in his blog post: "I do not recommend trying this with a cat."

Source: Destructoid [http://volkodavcosplay.com/okami-dog-cosplay/]

Photo Souce: David Kogan [http://enchantedcupcake.deviantart.com/]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err didn't this happen a year ago? I'm pretty sure I've seen this before. Either way the dog is still cute thought.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Cosplaying Ammy? Pffft it's been done. Maximillain did it before it was cool. What a hipster icon...

Ok this one is a bit more impressive but shhhhhhhhhhhhh

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
In before Daystar! Muwahaha!

Also, that dog is adorable.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
He's so freakin' adorable. I want to pet him. No,...I need to,...and I will - one day.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Looks simple yet very cute, too bad my dog is brown.

Also in before Daystar, hehe.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I've seen a person do this with a life size puppet at a con, both that and this are very awesome.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Yeah I rarely post unless I'm really riled up or interested in something, but even I can't resist getting in before Daystar on this one.

And good dog that god is gorgeous... I mean... No that's right.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
Incoming Daystar in 3...2...1...
Seriously, someone ninjad' me on this!!!!
-.- (just noticed how the sarcasm doesn't really shine through, it's sarkasm...)
Well nice looking dog. Just teach it to use a pencil and all's good.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
Incoming Daystar in 3...2...1...
still nothing. Where IS he?

very cute indeed. and yes, my first thought really was about how it would be to let my cat cosplay.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
There is only one response to this: D'awwwww! That's adorable!

Also INB4 Daystar :D