Lara Croft Actress Thinks Courage Is Sexy

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Lara Croft Actress Thinks Courage Is Sexy

Camilla Luddington, the voice and body of Lara Croft in Tomb Raider, talks about her latest role.

As part of the build-up to release of Tomb Raider, the kick-off for Lara Croft's latest trilogy, the actress behind the voice and body of Lara talks about her role in a video interview. Brit actress Camilla Luddington says she felt "overwhelmed" at the thought of portraying Lara; in fact she "screamed in my car when I got the role." But though the experience was gruelling, Luddington loved working with Lara. "She fights for what she believes in," Luddington says, "she's courageous [and] I think that's sexy."

It's pretty clear that Luddington, like Lara, wasn't entirely sure what she was getting into when she signed on the dotted line. Luddington was expecting to be "kicking butt," as she describes it, and while she does do the badass bit she also cries a lot. It's all part of Luddington's transformative experience, as the "young, naïve [Lara] who has a thirst for adventure" has to fight for her life. The deer-killing scene is one Luddington cites as a pivotal moment for the character, where Croft has to decide to kill rather than starve.

Luddington had to draw on skills she'd almost forgotten she possessed. Archery, which was a dim and distant childhood memory for her, suddenly became a crucial skill. Her stage acting experience also came in handy, as mocap "feels like performing on a stage." She found the process "intimidating" at first, but soon immersed herself in the role. "We're used to seeing Lara as cold-hearted, almost a killer," Luddington said, adding "she's a badass, but in this you'll see her struggle."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-10-lara-croft-actress-tomb-raider-role-emotionally-and-physically-draining]

Aug 25, 2009
It's nice to see someone else talking about the scene where Lara kills the deer. So far it's struck me as one of the most important scenes from the trailers.

I continue to like this reinterpretatin. I like the graphics, I like the story they've released so far, and I'm actually starting to quite like this VA. I wasn't so sure when I first heard who it was, but she got's the sass yo'.

I'm sorry I apologise.

I am looking forward to this more and more. I really hope it actually makes its release date and isn't pushed back, I've been missing Lara a lot lately, and a new spin on the character is just what I need.

I wonder if people wait for me to post in Lara Croft threads in support no matter what the subject? Am I predictable?

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Yes, you should resist. It makes me harder... all so much harder...

I'm sorry. That was just rude. You can punch me now.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Herro, Chuck.

I've actually never played a Tomb Raider game, so this may be my entrance into the series. Still, I want to know more gameplay stuff.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I liked Lara as a self serving treasure huntter who just lusts for adventure (Her polygons were nice too)
but this new "lara" just isn't someone who inspires me with the urge to take to the ruins and adventure.
Courage is Laras life line which allows her to feel natural while doing amazing feats of bravery, with a hero whom you see break down things may not feel as right.
Disregard that last sentence if you don't understand my point well because it's badly worded but basicly I just think that this adventure series needs to feel like an adventure of magnificent places rather than an emotional rollercoaster with action adventure with sequences inbetween which is the vibe I'm getting now.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
saintdane05 said:
Yes, you should resist. It makes me harder... all so much harder...

I'm sorry. That was just rude. You can punch me now.

I deserve that punch more than you!

Well you whouldhave to be courageous or STUPID to be manhandled like that with a straight face...

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
That narrator's "casualness" makes me angry. How long do you reckon he had been holding that latte? What a chump.

Dev vids of people describing the game are pretty contemptable, but apart from the tall drink of water, I kind of liked seeing the motion capture in action. We were actually being shown things, even if it wasn't the game.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
This short gives me a lot of hope for the upcoming game. If the voice acting is good, and there is plenty of exploration (rather than linear jungle running) then I'll definitely keep my eye on this one, and maybe even buy it as soon as it is released.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Internet too slow at work; can't tell if she's hot or not T_T

hahaha j/k! I'm not that shallow!

>_>

<_<

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
I like how this game is still being pitched entirely on the transformation of character which has already been shown on screen in both the trailer and in convention gameplay footage, leaving me with so far no palpable incentive to actually play the fucking game. It also leaves me worried that they may really have nothing else to show, that they did just concentrate entirely on the emotional transition of the lead and expect that to carry the game. I'll still follow the game and play it, but I'm not convinced it'll be any good yet.

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Speaking as a Brit... Jesus Christ, that girl's got a transatlantic accent. I really, really hope she can still do a good British voice, because her speaking voice in the interview was coloured by all sorts of Americanisms and inflections.
Yeah, she sounded really weird. I didn't know America could do that to a person.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Oh does she?

Well Camilla, guess what? I once killed a spider by stepping on it...without shoes.

I once got a shot at the doctors and I barely even screamed

Brave enough for ya? Yeah...You know how to get in touch with me.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
I see how well Crystal Dynamic is doing and I can't help but wish that they spent as much time on Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain, as they spent on Tomb Raider.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Strain42 said:
Oh does she?

Well Camilla, guess what? I once killed a spider by stepping on it...without shoes.

I once got a shot at the doctors and I barely even screamed

Brave enough for ya? Yeah...You know how to get in touch with me.
Thats nothing I took an arrow to the knee and I'm still an adventurer :p