Expendables 2 Game Trailer Breaks Your Face

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Expendables 2 Game Trailer Breaks Your Face

Terry Crews and Dolph Lundgren are not happy with how things are working out.

Rather like William Hurt in The Expendables [http://www.amazon.com/History-Violence-Blu-ray-Viggo-Mortensen/dp/B001JNNE1O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1341939454&sr=8-3&keywords=a+history+of+violence] put together such a stellar cast of action stars and then delivered such a disappointing experience. Once bitten, twice shy, as they say, and so I expect more of the same from The Expendables 2, coming in August, and even less from the tie-in videogame being made by Ubisoft. But this trailer sure is fun - assuming, that is, that watching two dangerously psychotic slabs of muscle beat the hell out of a restrained gamer is your idea of a good time for everyone.

The unfortunate button-masher is, quite obviously, a proxy for your ham-handed inability to get through a level without getting your guys repeatedly killed, so the whole thing should be sufficiently meta to keep complaints about "torture as entertainment" to a minimum. And if that doesn't work out, backup distraction is provided by the awesomely violent gameplay on display. I particularly like how you can block a punch with your left arm and then immediately level a shotgun with your right and blast a guy in the junk from six inches away. Man, that's gotta hurt.

It's a bit early yet to call it a theme but Ubisoft does seem to be developing a taste for charismatic lunatics in its game trailers. And while Terry Crews can't quite manage the same level of charm as the Insane Wahine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117406-Far-Cry-3-Insane-Edition-Gets-Crazy], he does have an awfully nice smile.

The Expendables 2 hits the PlayStation Network on August 1, and Xbox Live and the PC on August 17.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Horrible just horribl, I feel for the unlucky sods who are the devs for this.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Wait... does that meen that someone had to WATCH THE MOVIE in order to make this game?

Oh, dear God, I feel sorry for them.

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
I liked the Expendables, so I feel like this game's gonna be fun, no matter what others may think. It looks interesting.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
I never have high expectations from movie tie-in games, and this doesn't really change that.

However, I did enjoy the first movie. It wasn't a smart movie, but I found it entertaining. I think Bob's mostly upset that Scott Pilgrim came out the same day, and The Expendables completely overshadowed it.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I completely support the fact that this isn't an FPS. If this is done well, it could (I know, I know, Movie tie in, but I can dream) actually be worth getting if only because it's not identical to everything else currently being released. Right now it looks like a sort of Marvel Ultimate Alliance/Freedom Fighters type thing, which could be good times.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
UNHchabo said:
I never have high expectations from movie tie-in games, and this doesn't really change that.

However, I did enjoy the first movie. It wasn't a smart movie, but I found it entertaining. I think Bob's mostly upset that Scott Pilgrim came out the same day, and The Expendables completely overshadowed it.
That was my impression. That and it also pandered to a different kind of audience. If they got Lungren in a super hero costume, Bob would have probably sung the movie's praises from the highest hill, but because its jockish and Reaganesque...

The Expendables is that kind of dumb fun movie that I find a joy to watch. Let's be clear here, when I say "dumb fun", I'm not saying audiences have to switch their brains off or lower their standards to enjoy the movie. To me, dumb fun essentially means a movie that correctly massages the right portion of my brain, so that the enjoyment outweighs any lingering observations of bad acting or crummy dialogue. So I look foward to the sequel, and hell, maybe I'll even take a look at this tacky looking tie-in game.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
an inevitably shitty game for an inevitably shitty movie. I'm surprised Bob hasn't chipped in on this, but he probably doesn't (rightfully) care.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Cue ps2 generation graphics.

All kidding aside, it'll probably be so-so, at best. The reason that these games are so sub-par or mediocre at best is not only because it's a cash-in, but because of their rapid release. Movies and games can't be made in the same time-frames. It'll kill every movie-tie, regardless of the heart behind it.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
ok, dint mind the movie. was just an ok action movie to watch but this game looks awful. ill pass on that.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This is why I took the E3 scandal not very seriously. It's pretty hard to think of a time over the last 15 years where this sort of thing and this type of reaction to it has happened in and out of press conferences. The only difference this year was that we had a few games which were a little bit cleverer and maybe even disapproved a little bit and we couldn't quite grasp that, same way some Hollywood media couldn't understand the Hunger Games