You Can Now Explore Some of The Old Republic For Free

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
You Can Now Explore Some of The Old Republic For Free

A new Star Wars: The Old Republic trial allows players to reach level 15 without spending a dime.

Today, Star Wars: The Old Republic introduced a new free trial that lets players create characters in any class and lightsaber their way up to level 15. The promotion is open to players who've participated in one of the game's free weekends or used a buddy code, but not players with canceled or lapsed subscriptions. There's no time limit, and no payment method is required to sign up for the trial.

So how much content can you get through in fifteen levels? Assuming you keep the grinding to a bare minimum (and avoid PVP), you should be able to explore your classes' Origin world and at least get a peek at your faction capital before the trial ends. Free players can also participate in PVP warzones, where they will be instantly murdered by rocket-spewing Bounty Hunters.

While some of you will be quick to claim this as a portent of the impending free-to-play apocalypse, lengthy free trials like this one aren't unusual amongst subscription-based MMOs.

Source: SWTOR [http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20120710-0]

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Personally I think all MMOs should have this sort of thing available. It gives people a good taste of what the game has to offer, and then there's a chance they might come back for more.

This is what I had been waiting for with regards to TOR. I'm downloading the client now. ^_^

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
LOTRO has a better trial system. It basically lets you play the game to a certain zone around level 30. Much better. This? I'm not even going to bother download it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
so .... about a days worth a play time then? that's they're answer?

lovely, so, no reason to go back to ToR i see

Jamane

Sep 24, 2010
Lunar Templar said:

well maybe a week if you want to get their with each class, for the story and all

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
About damn time, the 3 day trials or whatever that they kept bringing out were too short to allow me to download it and still have time to play them, at least now I'll be able to see at least some of it, and actually see if it will work on my comp

Captcha: Help Robert Frost with his poem: two roads diverged in a wood
Answer: A: and shivering sweet to the touch
B: swear not by the moon
C: I took the one less traveled by
D: Violets are blue
E: Five is right out
F: for you tread on my dreams

Really captcha? Really? I long for the days where I entered in some asinine phrase

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Yeah...the opening was okay in the game.

But if they are expecting people to want to pay for that? They better keep dreaming.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Sis said:
LOTRO has a better trial system. It basically lets you play the game to a certain zone around level 30. Much better. This? I'm not even going to bother download it.
I thought LOTRO was F2P with only the original game's content available to players who didn't want to sign up for a subscription account or purchase the expansions?

Lunar Templar said:
*Remembers time playing and looks at limit.* Well getting to level 11 took me a good 3-4 hours on the starter worlds for my Sith Inquisi-bi*** (Ah PVP) and Imperial Agent and a another 3-4 hours for 16 about half that time really... Though if players focus on their Class Quest only then they can get their ship (if the trial allows) and explore the other planets. But I guess that's hardly riviting.

Captcha: April Showers It's July Captcha.

Edit:
Mcoffey said:
TOR is fun for a while, but the grind kills most of the enjoyment of experiencing the world and story.

And since both of my characters were mid-20s when I cancelled my subscription I guess I'll just have to wait until it becomes completely free to play before I can see where the story goes.
Well there really is no need to grind TOR unless you're setting up shop for being a level 50 crafting whiz on the GTN. Otherwise leveling was as easy as exploring the world for the next abandoned datapad or Imperial soldier for your quest. Plus playing as Sith Inquisitor (Assassin and I guess a Jedi Shadow) really speeds the pace of things early on.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Grey Carter said:
The promotion is open to players who've participated in one of the game's free weekends or used a buddy code, but not players with canceled or lapsed subscriptions.
I'm not sure I fully understand... does that mean as a person who has never played anything related to ToR I can't participate?
Not that I need to anyway. With only 1 1/2 months to go until GW2 I would never think about picking up a subscription-based game.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I've been looking forward to this. All I wanted was to scratch the itch to zap dudes with lightning, then realize the game sucks and go about my life. Anyone know if you can team up with people with free trials? Me and a buddy were thinking of doing same origin world characters together.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Nile McMorrow said:
Lunar Templar said:
*Remembers time playing and looks at limit.* Well getting to level 11 took me a good 3-4 hours on the starter worlds for my Sith Inquisi-bi*** (Ah PVP) and Imperial Agent and a another 3-4 hours for 16 about half that time really... Though if players focus on their Class Quest only then they can get their ship (if the trial allows) and explore the other planets. But I guess that's hardly riviting.
less then it sounds sadly :/, though the ship battles them selves i liked, the rest, meh -.-
Jamane said:
well maybe a week if you want to get their with each class, for the story and all
maybe it takes some one more into Bioware then me (o.o wait, do such people still exist after the ME3 mess?) but i though the story's where kinda shallow and dull :/

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Quaxar said:
I'm not sure I fully understand... does that mean as a person who has never played anything related to ToR I can't participate?
The source article is a bit more clear, you don't need to have done any previous TORing.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
Furioso said:
About damn time, the 3 day trials or whatever that they kept bringing out were too short to allow me to download it and still have time to play them, at least now I'll be able to see at least some of it, and actually see if it will work on my comp

Really captcha? Really? I long for the days where I entered in some asinine phrase
I love Robert Frost and his beautiful poetry. All captchas should be this.

On topic: I might try it. I tried LoTR and DnD online now, and found them lacking.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I gonna stay quiet about this to my mate who got the game (he haven't played it a while so he may not know about this news).
Sure I used to be interested at this game before its release but now I seen the game itself, I lost interest in it.

Valis88

Dec 16, 2008
I love TOR,(I think I'm the only one here that does), and this is great news!

Really if this had been any other MMO, with this same offer, I'm sure the reactions would be far more positive.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I would try it out but I believe that MMOs are addictive so i don't want to start one.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Furioso said:

When did captcha become such a literary snob? I mean, I am well read, so I know the answer, but not everyone does. :/

OT: Cool, I love it when MMO's do this. Allows me to try out the game at my own pace, which I love. Might just check this out.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Valis88 said:
I love TOR,(I think I'm the only one here that does), and this is great news!

Really if this had been any other MMO, with this same offer, I'm sure the reactions would be far more positive.
You're not the only one, no worries there. These announcements aren't that important to those that are still paying and playing, after all.

Jamane said:
Lunar Templar said:

Do you guys fucking sleep? Seriously, most of us have full time jobs and other shit to do... if you're playing TOR 8-10 hours straight, your life sucks.

It's not a buffet... you can come back the next day you know...