Pretty Boys Who Look Like Girls

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
The first thing I thought about after reading the title was Hetalia.

I lurve me some Hetalia.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
*Looks at Vaan*
Yes... Tell me again how the sexy armor in TERA is degrading to women.

And picking two of the worst written "Macho" men in gaming as a comparison, yeah that's totally fair
Welcome to The Escapist, JRPG lovers get in line four daily ass whuppping for not playing something else.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
When the apocalypse comes, I'm looking to Boy George to save our asses.
Epic.

Macho Men are stock self-inserts, most of the time. Though it's hard to say from this side of the Pacific if there is any similar trend with Japan.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
RaikuFA said:
DVS BSTrD said:
*Looks at Vaan*

And picking two of the worst written "Macho" men in gaming as a comparison, yeah that's totally fair
Welcome to The Escapist, JRPG lovers get in line four daily ass whuppping for not playing something else.
Well we are used to that (well i am at least).

Now the real question is why was this article written(as in what point is this person trying to get across since i have no clue whatsoever(well beyond the asian games uses bishounen and western games uses rugged looking men as main characters (to what i can just say ... DUH))).

Thanks saintdane05 for posting that very cute picture <3

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
D Moness said:
RaikuFA said:
DVS BSTrD said:
*Looks at Vaan*

Well we are used to that (well i am at least).

Now the real question is why was this article written(as in what point is this person trying to get across since i have no clue whatsoever(well beyond the asian games uses bishounen and western games uses rugged looking men as main characters (to what i can just say ... DUH))).

Thanks saintdane05 for posting that very cute picture <3
Here is more adorable. The ending Hetalia song.

<youtube=cW-MA4DEhUU>

Skarvig

Jul 13, 2009
WTF was the purpose of this article?
Anyways this seems to be a good time to post a link to "Manly Guys Doing Manly Things" since the gackt storyline draws near it's end.
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/1002

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Why this article, i don't understand.
Because you think there should be more men with stupid outfits and colored hair, or what?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I've always been a bit averse to the whole effeminate protagonist thing. It doesn't sound like it's a good thing to care about at all. 'I can't relate to this hero because he looks other than my cultural image of men'

I mean WTH? I know plenty of guys with long hair and non square jaws, at least there's more possible variation with crazy hair, whereas you have to look elsewhere for the character design with a buzzcut.

It seems much better to actually look at their character and character arc individually than make these generalisations. Been plenty of good macho and non macho characters

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
This topic makes me wanna reread or rewatch Loveless (already have a large enough backlog as it is >.<)

<3

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I remember the awful ruckus when MGS2 came out, the demo had 100% Snake, and then people bought the game and realized it was 80% Raiden, this new guy with a white lady-wig (see: SNL UPS) and a katana. I was one of the few on-board with him, but he was almost universally spurned. Along comes MGS4, he looks cooler than ever, and from the few cut scenes I saw during my friend's playthrough, he got schooled by an undead magician with no tech and questionable-at-best sexual preferences.

Now the news comes out they're planning on making another MGS game with Raiden as the lead again? I may have read that wrong, I didn't look into it too much, but I hope it works out better for them than MGS2 if so.

On JRPG heroes - media males in Japan are slim and generally have fritzy hair. Enter the JRPG template.
How many Western developed games have these unigender protagonists?

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Raiden is highly capable?
The same Raiden, who after fighting for two minutes, is more or less dead for the next however long in-game, where Old Man Snake is able to survive being cooked alive and still fight on, even with his suit being shredded?
What is this even, really.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Mcoffey said:
I was hoping for a bit more into the "Why" for effeminate heroes in JRPGs, but this was good too I guess.

I suppose when most Western heroes are usually cut from the same "Grizzled, monosyllabic, white guy" it's fair for Japan to do the same with their preferred style.

Still, in games where the main character is a blank slate like in the Persona series, a character creator or something would be very much welcome. Because the dude in Persona 3 needs to get a damned hair cut.

Seriously just look at the box art for Persona 2:

The one with hearts on her boobs.
Did I win?

Edit: Also upon closer inspection the guy on the left has a lighter in his hand and the Flame persona doesn't have massive mecha boobs.

Massive Mecha Boobs is my Furtive Pygmy cover band.