BioWare's New Mass Effect 3 Anime Tells Vega's Story

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
BioWare's New Mass Effect 3 Anime Tells Vega's Story

BioWare releases the first trailer for Mass Effect: Paragon Lost Anime, where "nothing is ever simple."

Mass Effect: Paragon Lost, the anime prequel to Mass Effect 3, released its first trailer at San Diego Comic Con. The anime, created by Ghost in the Shell studio Production I.G., tells the story of James Vega's battle against the insectoid Collectors. He and his special forces buddies - or "ladies", apparently - have to protect a remote star system from invading aliens.

"Every time man explores the unknown," the narrator grates, "he ends up in a war with whatever he finds." So, not much time for introspection here; it's much cocking of shotguns and big bangs, from the same brain that gave us Star Wars: The Clone Wars. In the Mass Effect universe, the narrator reminds us, "nothing is ever simple," but nothing about the plot revealed in the trailer looks particularly complex either.

The anime is scheduled for a summer 2012 release.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-13-mass-effect-3-anime-prequel-gets-trailer]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
FelixG said:
I wasnt aware that anyone actually cared about Vega's story.

I left his ass on the ship as soon as I was able.
Yeah. The funny thing is that he wasn't offensive enough to hate like most the other human characters. He had some funny moments, but was ultimately dull compared to the rest of the crew.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Really?

I mean, seriously?

James Vega's story?

Of all the awesome characters to choose from, they went with Vega? Not Wrex, not Liara, not Garrus, not Mordin, not Samara, not Legion, not Jack. Nope. James Vega.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the guy, but...

SERIOUSLY?

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
FelixG said:
Just rewatched the video, at 15 second he looks extra derpy, more so than he did in the actual game.

Yeah I saw that too, christ I didn't even play ME 3 and I hate the guy already

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Wow, ninja'd not just by the first post, but by all four of the first posts. Considering we're all in such unanimous agreement here, what the hell were they thinking!? Is there a single other character in the Mass Effect universe as utterly uninteresting as James Vega? Even Jacob or Ashley would be an improvement... seriously, what could possibly prompt them to pick him?

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Yeah Bioware has this human racism thing going. I was really happy with the Shepard dying bit of the promo's for ME2 because I was honestly hoping they'd go with a "roll whatever you want character". Then dissappoint. So much dissappoint.

On topic: Totally agree with the Vega haters. Now if they have to go with some random human story arc, why not...

Dr Chakwas?
Whats-her-name who tells me I have messages?
Hmm Joker in the academy could have been a cool, inspirational story about one man overcoming his disability....
Miranda and all the behind the scenes stuff she was up to?
Bailey and the first part of the attack on the Citadel?
Erm my ideas may be getting better, but yeah anything beats Vega. Heck a day in the life of a keeper cleaning out plumbing...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I serverely dislike that loosey goosey overly flashy anime style. Looks fucking cheap as hell.

And put me down also for 'who gives a fuck about James Vega'.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I'm mixed about this. On the one hand, Vega doesn't seem like a first choice for a Mass Effect anime back story, but on the other hand if they had to go with a human character than James actually seems like the better choice. He was perhaps one of the few human characters that was the most developed. With the exception of Joker, every other human (including Cortez, even though I quite liked him) seemed to only have one thing going for them. At least James, even if he was somewhat uninteresting, wasn't stuck in a rut on a particular issue.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Perhaps this will be a way to flesh out Vega's character. Why does he where that mask, for example?

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Half the Mass Effect crew could probably make picking navel lint interesting enough to watch.

James Vega is not in that half. I agree with the "why Vega of all people?" crowd.

Story about Joker's rise would have been way better.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
OK, now I for one think Ghost in the Shell is one of the most awesome things ever to have been created, anime or not, but does anyone else have the feeling that EA is beginning to take this franchise concept a little too far with an anime?

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
The only team member less interesting to me than Vega was Javik (and at least Javik had something like a character arc). I'm not sure if that was the fault of the writers or Mr. Prinze, but... yeah, why Vega?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
hoo boy... cheap animation and cheap voice acting ahoy!

Why not do an animated film about Garrus' time on Omega? That would be a hell of a lot more interesting.

A film that's just one and a half hours of Javik throwing things out of the Normandy's airlock would be more interesting than a story about Vega.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Why the hell not make an anime out of the release-day twitter invasion starring Emily Wong? I miss her, she was awesome. I would have paid lots of money to see that. Screw this mess.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Why Vega? I mean, the games are full of interesting characters, and they pick the guy that doesn't really have any kind of development and that looks like a Jersey Shore reject?

Fudj

May 1, 2008
That voice acting is horrible, also yeah left the guy on the ship as soon as i was able to as well.