Orcs Must Die 2 Gets Classic Co-Op

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Orcs Must Die 2 Gets Classic Co-Op

Owners of the original Orcs Must Die will get ten extra levels for the sequel.

In recent years, we've seen an increasing emphasis on co-operative play in games. It brings such an engaging social element to games that even a successful game like Torchlight will still be criticized <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106771-Torchlight-2-Could-Have-More-Multiplayer-Than-You-Need>for lacking co-op, while New Super Mario Bros. Wii felt the need to throw in a co-op that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6841-Review-New-Super-Mario-Bros-Wii>was as frustrating as it was hilarious. The latest to the co-op bandwagon is the action/tower defense title Orcs Must Die 2, and they're sweetening the pot by offering to unlock an exclusive Classic Mode for anyone who owns a copy of the first game on Steam.

The exclusive Classic Mode will include ten levels from the original game, updated to the latest engine and featuring new enemies. As with other co-op modes, players choose between Orcs Must Die's weapon-focused War Mage or the new playable Sorceress, a former War Mage who uses magic spells and mind control.

Orcs Must Die 2's story campaign will also be fully playable in single-player and co-op modes. The game will pick up just days after the original left off when the War Mage meets the Sorceress responsible for destroying the Order in the first game. When a new rampaging orc mob arrives, the two are forced to work together to stop them from destroying everything in their path.

The final game will feature new traps, weapons, guardians, an a comprehensive upgrade system that lets you forge your own playstyle. While I've personally only played a small amount of Orcs Must Die for last winter's Steam contest, I remember thinking that the ability to cover a friend while they set up a highly satisfying orc trap would be a welcome addition to the game.

Orcs Must Die 2 comes out July 30th.

Source: Joystiq

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Sweet, a date to look forward too.

I do wonder how they explain it though, cause at the end of the game
When you destroy the last gate all magic vanishes, since the Sorceress loses her mind control over the Orcs and spells won't work anymore.

I do believe that's how it was explained nearing the end, though it's a while since I completed it.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I'm kind of worried about this. I loved the first, but will this mean that people who want to play single player will get shafted because the difficulty is meant for 2 people?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Zeckt said:
I'm kind of worried about this. I loved the first, but will this mean that people who want to play single player will get shafted because the difficulty is meant for 2 people?
Either that, or the difficulty scales for 2 people. Or having two people makes the game a cakewalk.

Either way, money is leaving bank account.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Holy shit, I didn't even know it was so soon! Sorry money, we've had a good couple of weeks, but it's time to say goodbye.

Looking forward to the obviously awesome dialogue to come too, based on how great the first games dialogue was with only the one protagonist (forgot his name).

Fanghawk said:
the action/tower defense platformer Orcs Must Die 2
Platformer??? Are you sure?

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
As someone who usually doesn't give a rats ass about multiplayer, even I thought Orcs Must Die desperately needed co-op. I'll be getting this day 1.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
Fanghawk said:
I think it's fair to define it that way. This is a tower defense platformer, just like Portal was a first-person platformer.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
therandombear said:
Sweet, a date to look forward too.

I do wonder how they explain it though, cause at the end of the game
When you destroy the last gate all magic vanishes, since the Sorceress loses her mind control over the Orcs and spells won't work anymore.

I do believe that's how it was explained nearing the end, though it's a while since I completed it.
Yeah, that's how I remember it, too. Did they pull a Portal and retcon the ending in time for the sequel?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Fanghawk said:
CardinalPiggles said:
Fanghawk said:
I think it's fair to define it that way. This is a tower defense platformer, just like Portal was a first-person platformer.
Having the ability to jump =/= platformer. Unless jumping is a core part of the gameplay, you can't call it a platformer. I mean... you CAN call it a platformer, no one is stopping you, but you'll look like you don't know what you're talking about. ;P

Jumping in OMD is mostly just a side utility for getting around some traps a little quicker, but you never actually have to use it. Same goes for Portal, honestly. FPS/Puzzler, yes, but I question how often you actually have to jump (no really, I do question it, since it's been a while since I've played it) that it would be accurate to call it a platformer.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Fanghawk said:
CardinalPiggles said:
Fanghawk said:
Having the ability to jump =/= platformer. Unless jumping is a core part of the gameplay, you can't call it a platformer. I mean... you CAN call it a platformer, no one is stopping you, but you'll look like you don't know what you're talking about. ;P

Jumping in OMD is mostly just a side utility for getting around some traps a little quicker, but you never actually have to use it. Same goes for Portal, honestly. FPS/Puzzler, yes, but I question how often you actually have to jump (no really, I do question it, since it's been a while since I've played it) that it would be accurate to call it a platformer.
Fair enough. Like I mentioned, I didn't get too far into it so I'm likely speaking from a disadvantage here.

Portal is absolutely a platformer though, it just doesn't always rely on jumping to get to new areas, like the bits where you need to drop into Portals to shoot yourself up to higher areas.

Mar 30, 2010
Great news, co-op was always what was missing from the first one and the inclusion of a co-op mode has sold the sequel to me already. Any release date yet for XBLA, or is it just the Steam date that has been announced?