Johnny Wilson on CGW

N. Evan Van Zelfden

Jul 11, 2006
Johnny Wilson on CGW

The former Editorial Director of Computer Gaming World took a few minutes to give us his reaction to the news that Ziff Davis cancelled the oldest game publication this week...

Wilson, who served as Editorial Director of the magazine until 1999, is now with game publisher Manifesto Games.

?Ziff-Davis wanted to focus on high-profile titles and the high profile younger audience. They had no patience with my policy of trying to work in the occasional niche game or ?out of favor? game style,? he recalls.

?They rode the younger audience and they rode the blockbusters. Now, they?re hitching their star to Windows. Frankly, Computer Gaming World has been a Windows magazine since the mid-90s. What's going to change?" Wilson asked.

?Are they finally going to recognize that their audience is adult gamers? That I?d love to see. The truth is that I miss working with some of the great people at Ziff-Davis, but I don't miss the blockbuster mindset,? Wilson told the News Room.

?I might feel differently if our Manifesto Games site doesn?t work," he continued, "But I?ve always liked championing the little games and I?m really enjoying the prep work we're doing for launching the site."

?Games for Windows? I think that was okay for the ?90s,? Wilson concluded, ?But today?s game publication or site has to be ready to cover a broader spectrum?more about lots of games rather than more of less.?

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
Wow, does that ever sound like sour grapes. Or maybe he just hasn't picked up a copy of CGW in the last year.

JeffGreen

Aug 4, 2006
If Mr. Van Zelfden or anyone else who works for The Escapist would actually like to take the time to, say, talk to the current editor of Computer Gaming World (me) about what is going on, feel free to contact me. Just a thought. Thanks.

Jeff Green
Editor In Chief
Computer Gaming World (for a couple more issues!)
[email protected]

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
JeffGreen said:
... actually like to take the time to, say, talk to the current editor of Computer Gaming World (me) about what is going on, feel free to contact me. Just a thought.
I think that must be some of that special "up yours" ZD charm. Nevertheless, I'll take you up on your offer. Expect an email from me today.

Cheers,

Russ Pitts
Associate Editor
The Escapist (for many years to come)
[email protected]