Dyad Review

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hmm.. the idea that a game is purely based on skill and challenge, and yet that challenge is partially only provided by occasionally obnoxious visuals getting in the way of seeing what you're doing seems a little incongruous. Either way, the game visually reminds me a lot of a sort of modern age Tempest.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
StriderShinryu said:
Hmm.. the idea that a game is purely based on skill and challenge, and yet that challenge is partially only provided by occasionally obnoxious visuals getting in the way of seeing what you're doing seems a little incongruous. Either way, the game visually reminds me a lot of a sort of modern age Tempest.
Well, the visuals getting in the way isn't meant to be part of the challenge, per se, and there's definitely plenty of other things putting your dexterity and timing to the the test. But your comparison to Tempest is right on the money - feels very, very similar.

SoDaRa

Jan 7, 2009
For some reason I'm reminded of a lot of Art Style games, more specifically Light Trax with all the speed and it feeling kind of like a Tron light cycle.

Korne

Nov 30, 2009
SoDaRa said:
For some reason I'm reminded of a lot of Art Style games, more specifically Light Trax with all the speed and it feeling kind of like a Tron light cycle.
It is suppose to be less of Tempest and more like the tunnel racers of the late 80's.

Mamzelle_Kat

Aug 23, 2010
This game reminds me of Audiosurf. I have not played Dryad, but that's what the video instantly reminded me of.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Oooooh, I've never heard of this game and it looks awesome. I was thinking about getting a game off of the PSN today, and now that decision is much easier.

Also, every time I hear or see the term "ludicrous speed" I always think of Space Balls, always.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Also, every time I hear or see the term "ludicrous speed" I always think of Space Balls, always.
I think it was an intentional reference, given Susan's other work. :)

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
UNHchabo said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Oh I have no doubt, but still, Space Balls, awesome movie.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
UNHchabo said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Am I really so obvious? Damn, I've lost all my mystery. :)

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Susan Arendt said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
UNHchabo said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Am I really so obvious? Damn, I've lost all my mystery. :)
To be fair, I've seen that movie more times than I'd care to admit, but it's a fair reference considering how fast that game looks like it can go.

[sub][sub]Aw, buckle this! Ludicrous Speed! Go![/sub][/sub]

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Brain melting... All the shinies... I'll probably give this one a look, if only to find out who in my family has photosensitive epilepsy.

[sub]I'm kidding of course[/sub]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
That was the best outburst of emotion I've heard in a formal review.

Too bad it's PSN only, I would have liked to have tried it.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I'm going to get this but just the review made my brain mush.
May just have to play in one level sessions.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
In the review, the genre is listed as "simulation." What the hell is this supposed to be a simulation of? I'm guessing that whoever wrote that description doesn't know what a simulator is.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Aardvaarkman said:
In the review, the genre is listed as "simulation." What the hell is this supposed to be a simulation of? I'm guessing that whoever wrote that description doesn't know what a simulator is.
Huh...I have no idea how that happened. More of a shooter, really.