Uniloc Creator Denies Mojang Lawsuit Involvement

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Uniloc Creator Denies Mojang Lawsuit Involvement

Ric Richardson says the lawsuit against Mojang has nothing to do with him, and he wishes you'd all stop bugging him about it.

By now you've almost certainly heard about the lawsuit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118633-Mojang-Square-Enix-EA-and-Others-Sued-For-Patent-Infringement] filed by computer security company Uniloc against Square Enix, Electronic Arts, Gameloft and Mojang, and it's also reasonably likely that you've taken the opportunity to get really mad about it too. And not necessarily without cause - patent trolling is an infuriating, and infuriatingly common, practice - but it looks like all the spleen-venting going on across the internet might be pointed at the wrong guy.

Much of the anger has been directed at Ric Richardson, the Aussie inventor of the 216 Uniloc product activation technology that was granted a patent in the U.S. in 1996. According to Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniloc], he's also a principal at Uniloc Corporation, the company that grew up around his invention. But according to Richardson himself, that's not true: He's only a minority shareholder in the company, he has no influence over its actions and the patent at the center of the Mojang dispute isn't even his.

Still, the powerful and often personal reaction of the internet toward his perceived villainy has compelled him to speak out. "From the first day the importance of patents was explained to me I have tried to act responsibly with the trust given to me by the many people who gave their time, effort and investment to help insure the technologies [sic] ultimate success," he wrote on his blog [http://ricrichardson.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/ric-richardson-reaction-to-negative.html].

"Well back in 1992 when I invented the 216 Uniloc technology it truly was unique. No one had done this before," he continued. "In the early 90's we did 'try and buy' cover disk campaigns on magazines that traveled the world. In fact if most software designers are honest they will agree that the idea of locking serial numbers to specific machines came from products they saw that somehow link back to those early days."

Despite the widespread disdain for software patents, Richardson said he thinks it's "irresponsible" to enter into business relationships without doing all you can to protect yourself and your creations. He also seems to find it ironic that so many software companies appear to have no problem "stealing" DRM technology in order to prevent other people from stealing their own. "It amazes me that people complain about paying a royalty for a technology that stops up to a third of a software companies sales from being lost to piracy," he wrote. "What are you saying? 'It's all right to steal from Uniloc as long as it helps stop pirates stealing from me'?"

Finally, in response to the personal attacks against him, Richardson wrote, "I am not a patent troll. I am the inventor of the 216 patent, I worked nearly two decades to make the technology a success. I am not a money hungry megalomaniac."

"Further, I think it's a sad thing to see people making inflammatory remarks from the cheap seats," he concluded. "The Internet can be a real disappointing place when people can mouth off without taking responsibility for their actions. Just sad."

Richardson stepped down as chairman of Uniloc in 2007 to become a "full-time independent inventor," although he remains a member of the company's advisory board. The Uniloc website [http://www.uniloc.com] says the company "plans to defend our patents aggressively whenever they are infringed. This protects our business and our shareholder value. In our view, it's the right thing to do."

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
So he stepped down as CEO because running a trolling company was limiting his ability to troll. To that I say, if you invented it, why haven't I SEEN it?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Bull
Fucking
Shit

This guys just trying to get free money by being as vague as possible. If he wants the insults to stop, then drop the suits.

IRBaboon

Aug 29, 2009
If he's trolling the DRM Patent, then I'm more than hoping for him to win, if a company has to licence this guy to put DRM in a game they're going to be less likely to do it.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
IRBaboon said:
If he's trolling the DRM Patent, then I'm more than hoping for him to win, if a company has to licence this guy to put DRM in a game they're going to be less likely to do it.

Funny I thought the same thing... gamers defending DRM? REALLY????

exp. 99

Mar 31, 2010
Gamers will defend anything if the guy sparking the uproar is an asshole. This shindig is case in point.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
BloodRed Pixel said:
IRBaboon said:

Funny I thought the same thing... gamers defending DRM? REALLY????
If it was true, then he'd be going after ubisoft as well.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I love how he's indirectly forced everyone to choose between defending DRM or defending a Patent Troll

Headphones off to ya!

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
A link to Frederic Richardson's patent

It's not quite as vague as it is portrayed in the article. Now, if someone has a general disagreement with the length of patent protection, I can agree to that... but this patent document is pretty lengthy and specific, and he actually made the item in question (it's not theoretical).

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
Dastardly said:

It's not quite as vague as it is portrayed in the article. Now, if someone has a general disagreement with the length of patent protection, I can agree to that... but this patent document is pretty lengthy and specific, and he actually made the item in question (it's not theoretical).
I do believe you are one of the very few people who frequent The Escapist that actually has a grasp of this issue. I think my time with The Escapist is winding down due to frequently irresponsible journalism that is short of facts and tall with sensationalism and the crowd of spectators that read and believe without thinking critically. I might go back to IGN. IGN is bought by publishers, that is true, but at least the journalism is of exceptional quality when it is genuine.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
90sgamer said:
While I do appreciate the 'upvote,' patent law can be pretty tricky -- especially since most of what gaming folks deal with is usually copyright law, and maybe some trademark stuff. Of the three of them, I really think patents get the worst wrap... but simultaneously, when it is used wrongly, it's some of the worst offenders.

For its part, The Escapist is far from the only site that implies this guy is a patent troll. In fact, most of the sites covering this seem to be doing so. I really think it's a simple case of "The Boy Who Cried Sheep" -- there have been too many wolves, so we're more likely to presume guilt than innocence.

In this case, I'd have to know the specifics behind it all to have a firm opinion. I'm not on Uniloc's side, but I don't think it's open-and-shut the way some folks think. Maybe the defendants have technology that accomplishes the same effect as Uniloc's, but they use a different process, so it's not covered by the patent. Or maybe some programmers accidentally re-invented this particular wheel, without being aware of its prior existence. Or maybe it was copied outright.

Time (and details) will tell.

tjoris9

Nov 25, 2008
I think if Mojang were left out of the suit we'd be applauding the guy for fighting back against the big corporations.

I'm a little confused now, because the last article made it sound like he just comes up with vague patents just so he can demand royalties, but in this article it sounds like he actually made, and tried to sell, software based on the patent.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
90sgamer said:
I quite like the way the Escapist has become, its more in line with sites like The Register; its tongue and cheek coverage of a wide range of areas which (as far as I can recall) always credits the source.

When it comes to topics like this, I tend to follow the source to get the full facts if it interests me. Otherwise Im happy sticking to the light-hearted approach the Escapist adopts. I dont think its fair to say this is wrong of the Escapist, or makes it any less of a credible site, its just different to the likes of IGN. I certainly wouldn't say they're irresponsible or could be accused of sub-quality journalism just because its not the same kind of journalism you may be hoping for.

Duffy13

May 18, 2009
90sgamer said:
Dastardly said:

I do believe you are one of the very few people who frequent The Escapist that actually has a grasp of this issue. I think my time with The Escapist is winding down due to frequently irresponsible journalism that is short of facts and tall with sensationalism and the crowd of spectators that read and believe without thinking critically. I might go back to IGN. IGN is bought by publishers, that is true, but at least the journalism is of exceptional quality when it is genuine.
After perusing the patent, I have to disagree with you guys. It's a BS patent. All it does is outline how you could do something (albeit at great length), there is no specific implementation that is being stolen and used. Maybe, maybe they could argue the algorithm outlined near the end is "specific" but I highly doubt Mojang is using a copy of that. Theoretically whoever holds the original Relational DB Model patent could probably sue them for associating data with unique IDs. See the absurdity of non-specific software patents yet?

The debate is not over the patent existing or what it covers, the debate is should it be enforceable? Among most knowledgeable people the answer is no. You want copyright over specific code you wrote so people can't just take your specific effort? Fine. But you spout an idea with no actual implementation and claim ownership of anyone else's actual effort to create it? To hell with you. Form and Function should be required which due to the nature of software is inherently a copyrightable product, and thus software patents are pointless.

Jul 23, 2012
Richardson is just skipping around the issue. His blog repeatedly talked about the defence of patents in general, but not once did he defend THIS case. Not once did he stick his neck out and say he supports HIS company for THEIR suing of Notch of THAT specific vague patent.

Instead, he just denied that he has any say in the company, that he doesn't have anything to do with the patent involved, and most importantly he said nothing about if he would GET PAID a share of the profits should his company managed to swindle money out of all these companies.

If Richardson want to defend his company, then DEFEND it. All I see is him trying to pretend act innocent.

TConti

Sep 21, 2009
If it was your intellectual property that was stolen and is being used without your permission I doubt that anyone here would object to a lawsuit to recover your losses. Just because Notch and his company Mojang created one good video game that holds a place in your heart does not put them above the law or prevent them from violating the law. If Mojang, or any of the listed companies, used this technology with out permission then they deserve being slapped with a law suit.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Wait...I'm confused, what did he patent..and how are these games companies infringing on it exactly?!

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Zenn3k said:
Wait...I'm confused, what did he patent..and how are these games companies infringing on it exactly?!
DRM, apparently. Though I'm not sure how Mojang's involved.