Green Man Gaming Goes Analog

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Green Man Gaming Goes Analog

In a rather unusual twist, digital distributor Green Man Gaming is moving into boxed game sales.

The future is digital, so they say, and that's why this Green Man Gaming [http://www.greenmangaming.com] thing feels kind of weird. It's the "fastest-growing digital games distributor" in Europe, and yet in a complete mirror image of Gamestop's struggle to stay relevant by moving into digital distribution and partnerships with Steam, Green Man Gaming announced today that it is branching out into boxed game sales for the PC and adding console titles to its repertoire.

It won't be putting up brick-and-mortar stores across the U.K., but beginning July 27 GMG will begin allowing customers to order boxed versions of major releases, starting with Darksiders 2 and Sleeping Dogs. Boxed game sales will initially be limited to customers in the U.K. but the company intends to roll the service out to other parts of the world in the future.

"We're already established in the digital space where the rest of the retail market is slowly turning its attention, so adding PC boxed, PS3 and Xbox 360 games gives us a much wider portfolio of key titles for our core gaming audience," said Green Man Gaming Managing Director Paul Sulyok. "With more than £1.4 billion ($2.2 billion) spent annually in the U.K. alone on boxed games product, we believe there's room for an agile, ambitious E-commerce retailer like GMG to provide this service in the U.K. and beyond."

It's an unexpected but very interesting maneuver. Although the time frame is debatable, there's little question that companies like Gamestop, who rely on retail game sales, will eventually fall victim to the digital revolution. But game sellers who are already at the forefront of that revolution could very well find a useful and profitable niche serving weirdos like me who insist on having colorful pieces of shaped cardboard cluttering up rows upon rows of shelves.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Strange, but interesting. Their motivation seems kind of unclear, given that it's completely against the whole point of the site, but it might actually get me to buy games from them. The only game I've ever bought from them is Deus Ex: HR, but if they can get great prices on boxed console games they might get a lot more money out of me.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
So, the first digital distributor in recent memory that allowed you to trade in unwanted downloads for store credit is now moving into physical products?

...This company keeps getting curiouser and curiouser. I like it.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I like the idea. The vast majority of its revenues is going to come digitally, but there's still money to be made from throwbacks and/or people who like physical collector's editions when they're available. I can actually see that as a very successful business model for a new generation of retailers: built around digital, with options for supporting physical. Something like what Gamestop is trying to do, but originating on the opposite side of the coin, and without the baggage of retail stores weighing it down.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I don't think analog is the correct word to use. Analog is the opposite of digital speaking of data storage/transmission, but speaking of software distribution schemes I think you meant physical or retail.

You made me think they were going to use vynil discs.

I'm not 100% sure, I might be wrong.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
esperandote said:
How big a vinyl disc would they need to hold you average ~5GB game? Must be like 3 miles across.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Scrustle said:
esperandote said:
How big a vinyl disc would they need to hold you average ~5GB game? Must be like 3 miles across.
Maybe with nanao tech you might be able to squeeze it in a wardrobe if your lucky.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Scrustle said:
esperandote said:
I didn't think about its capacity but now that you mentioned it, one more reason to think the title is inadequate.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
since GAME left a large gap in the market, it's about time somebody else started making a move for that delicious power vacuum