"Unbelievably High" Android Piracy Drives Dev to Free-To-Play

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
"Unbelievably High" Android Piracy Drives Dev to Free-To-Play

A 99 cent price tag still isn't enough to stop mobile pirates.

When Mad Finger Games first released their new mobile game Dead Trigger, it hoped to reach as many people as possible. What it didn't expect was to achieve that goal through piracy. Despite the game's low price point of a single dollar, piracy figures for the Android version went through the roof while official installs were practically non-existent. In a last-ditch effort to save the game, the developer switched out the paid Android version for a free-to-play model that has since shown tremendous success, bringing to light some of the difficulties in publishing for the mobile platform.

"Regarding price drop," Mad Finger Games announced via Facebook. "The main reason: piracy rate on Android devices, that was unbelievably high. At first we intend to make this game available for as many people as possible - that's why it was for as little as buck ... However, even for one buck, the piracy rate is soooo giant, that we finally decided to provide Dead Trigger for free."

This isn't the first time the Android platform has been recognized for its piracy problems. Even outside of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108279-Wii-Powered-Android-N64-Emulator-Brings-Zelda-to-Smartphones>the occasional console emulator, official apps can see anywhere from <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-24-football-manager-dev-hopes-to-stick-with-android-despite-9-1-piracy-rate>5 to 9 illegal downloads per legitimate purchase. The open-source nature of Android seems to make piracy harder to combat compared to other operating systems, as noted by the fact that Dead Trigger's iOS version still requires a 99 cent purchase.

Sources: <a href=https://www.facebook.com/DEADTRIGGER/posts/228353737287174>Facebook, <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-23-android-piracy-unbelievably-high-dead-trigger-dev>Eurogamer

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Buretsu said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Don't you just love it when the times change and business is forced to innovate?
No, because fuck those lazy, cheap-ass pirates who feel that ONE FUCKING DOLLAR is too much to pay for a game.
Usually means the game wasn't worth buying for the price they were asking, if your game is one dollar, that's saying a lot.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
I was going to make a more articulate response but my captcha summed it up for me: sorry sight.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
This game apparently didn't have the "hook" that Minecraft had that turned pirates into customers.

Kielgasten

Oct 12, 2009
Looking at these posts, there are apparently some people who will use any excuse to pirate stuff. Quite frankly, when the price is a dollar, and you don´t feel that you can support the devs, you disgust me.
It´s pathetic.

Captcha: good riddance
Not sure I agree there Capt!

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Elate said:
Buretsu said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Don't you just love it when the times change and business is forced to innovate?
No, because fuck those lazy, cheap-ass pirates who feel that ONE FUCKING DOLLAR is too much to pay for a game.
Usually means the game wasn't worth buying for the price they were asking, if your game is one dollar, that's saying a lot.
More like fuq those lazy, cheap-ass businesses who feel that ONE FUCKING DOLLAR is too little to pay for a game.

Change with the market not against it.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Gah. My problem with this, is that I don't like playing "freemium" games. But if it's the only viable mechanic, then where am I?

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
$1 - 60p I earn that in about 7.5 mins - that seems trival

Looking at it another way I have $90 apox 'free money' a month so I earn about $0.56 an hour....

So that's less then 2 hours still...

And I'm pretty low down the money chain so that's still acceptable - if I'm going to get more entertainment then 2 hours from it....which I should

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
Elate said:
Buretsu said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Even a s***** game can give you more value than, say, a candy bar from a gas station convenience store. Are you saying that it's alright to steal candy bars (or anything else) if you feel they're overcharging for it?

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Yeah. I can see an argument for piracy against companies selling $60 games with expensive DLC and restrictive DRM. But a small dev selling a game for $1? REALLY? There's no excuse. There is no legitimate argument here to be had for piracy.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I decided to give this game a try just because of this. It's definitely fun and better then 95% of the trash on the iphone game app store and worth the dollar.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Shadowsetzer said:
Even a s***** game can give you more value than, say, a candy bar from a gas station convenience store. Are you saying that it's alright to steal candy bars (or anything else) if you feel they're overcharging for it?
Don't make me pull the "Pirating is copying, not stealing card." and I don't know about you but I get great satisfaction from candy bars.

J. Mazarin

Jun 25, 2012
Elate said:
Shadowsetzer said:
Don't make me pull the "Pirating is copying, not stealing card." and I don't know about you but I get great satisfaction from candy bars.
At $1, if it's worth playing it's worth buying.

'Course that doesn't matter anymore, since apparently enough people thought they were entitled to free entertainment from the developer that they were forced to change their business model.