Nintendo Discounts Four Mario Games for New Super Mario Bros. 2

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Nintendo Discounts Four Mario Games for New Super Mario Bros. 2

Celebrate the month of Mario with cheap NES and Game Boy classics from Nintendo's eShop.

With only a few weeks to go until New Super Mario Bros. 2 launches on the 3DS, Nintendo has declared August "the month of Mario." To celebrate, the publisher is dropping the price of one retro Mario game a week on the 3DS eShop, starting on July 26.

The first game to go on sale will be the NES classic Super Mario Bros., which will drop in price to $3.99. On August 2, Super Mario Land will be available for $2.99, followed by Super Mario Land 2 at the same price on August 9. Finally, Mario's Picross will be $2.99 beginning on August 16.

Each sale will only last one week, so move fast if you want to get your hands on some old-school Mario games at a discount. The games will only be a dollar cheaper during the month of Mario, so perhaps this isn't the biggest celebration Nintendo could have orchestrated. Then again, having a new first-party 3DS game may be reason enough to celebrate.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
$0.99 or bust way too much for such retro classics most of us own a dozen times over at least half of which were obtained legally.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Hm...I may have to pick up Super Mario Land 2...but then, I may just have to say no to that and use that same e-Shop money on Theatrhythm DLC...Still, it sounds like a good sale for people who didn't already get half of these games from being an Ambassador.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
Hm...I may have to pick up Super Mario Land 2...but then, I may just have to say no to that and use that same e-Shop money on Theatrhythm DLC...Still, it sounds like a good sale for people who didn't already get half of these games from being an Ambassador.
actually, only the original mario game was offered for ambassadors. picross was offered as a members coin reward for a while, though. might still be up. either way, a waste of coins when you could be hunting bigger swag.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I'm glad Nintendo is embracing the whole "digital sales" thing. Really, it's a good sign. But it kinda loses all meaning when the original products are less than $5. Still, it's a solid way to promote the upcoming game.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
How generous of Nintendo to discount games that are well over 20 years old and most people can get for free off of ROMs or emulators. Hell buying them off ebay may be cheaper for some titles. Just saying. Even valve gives away whole games for free that arnt' even 10 years old during some promotions.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
dragongit said:
How generous of Nintendo to discount games that are well over 20 years old and most people can get for free off of ROMs or emulators. Hell buying them off ebay may be cheaper for some titles. Just saying. Even valve gives away whole games for free that arnt' even 10 years old during some promotions.
Yeah, I remember buying OoT for $15 in the virtual console for the Wii. Kinda a rip off.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Super Mario Land 2 is actually the only game worth the money. Mario Picross, as much as I like picross puzzles, just isn't that good and the motives are sorta boring.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
You know, I could really understand $4 as the standard price for the original Mario Bros, but what kind of rip-off price for a 30-year-old game are they charging that it's the sale price? Anyway, since 3DS sales don't happen often, maybe I'll take advantage of this to snag the two Mario Land titles.

Brett Bowling

May 12, 2012
So no chance of an E-shop release of Super Mario All Stars or anything actually exciting, huh Nintendo?