Twelfth Pokemon Movie Sets Guinness Records

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Twelfth Pokemon Movie Sets Guinness Records

More than a decade after its premiere, Japan still loves the Pokemon anime so much that the twelfth feature film has landed a spot in Guinness' World Records before it even came out.

It turns out that Japanese Pokemon (er, Pocket Monsters) fans were rather looking forward to the latest full-length animated adventure of Pikachu and pals: Arceus: To The Conquering of Space-Time - and no, I don't know what that means either - because the title was a box-office hit before it was ever released.

Arceus racked up a fairly impressive 2,384,198 pre-sold tickets before its July 18th opening in Japanese theaters. Not only did it earn its Nintendo creators a whole mountain of yen, the 2.3 million preorders were enough to land the movie in the auspicious ranks of Guinness' Book of World Records as the world record holder for the animated motion picture with the most advance ticket sales.

Of course, Arceus' success is unlikely to be replicated anywhere else - though Pokemon: The First Movie and Pokemon: The Movie 2000 (aka Mewtwo's Counterattack and Revelation Lugia in Japan, respectively) were multi-million-dollar box-office successes, subsequent releases did successively worse. 2003's Pokemon Heroes, the fifth in the series, was the last to see any sort of box-office release whatsoever, and more recent titles have just gone straight to DVD.

Frankly, I don't know which surprises me more - that the Pokemon movies are still relative blockbusters in Japan, or that there are twelve of the damn things.

(Kotaku [http://journal.mycom.co.jp/news/2009/07/19/004/index.html])

randomize4

Jul 21, 2009
Wow. I stoped watching these after the first movie. It's hard to believe it's still this popular.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Wow i can remember going to see the first one, that was the only one i ever seen.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Nimbus said:
Twelve? Christ!...

And I thought dragonball was drawn-out...
I was just thinking the same.
How the hell did they make twelve movies?

I feel sorry for whatever film got knocked from it's place by this monstrosity though.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
You act surprised that its a success over there when they've built an entire freaking theme park around the idea of Pokemon. These people love their cock-fighting esque tv show for kids. It receiving a place in the record book does rather cement its hold on the spot for one of THE most influential games of the last decade.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
There were 12 of these things?

But are they SURE that this had the most advanced purchases EVER? You're telling me movies like The Dark Knight, Harry Potter, Transformers, or Iron Man didn't get more advanced ticket sales than the TWELFTH movie in a fledgling franchise?

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks this that Pokemon is worse than bloody Spongebob? Seriously, it's just a bunch of standard uninteresting characters fighting with little demon things whilst having no attempt to change the dull characters...

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
MalevolentJim said:
Would it be ironic if the 13th one failed misreably?
No. With Arceus, they pretty much covered all of the Legendaries of the series, so I'm pretty sure that they're running out of new material.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
I am 14 and I still say the first movie was good. The rest...nah, not so much. It's nice to see how well animation has come along since the first though.

cschwing

Mar 20, 2009
Did no one in japan grow up?, i swear, little kids are gonna be asking

"daddy, where you going?"

"To see pokemon my son!"

"your a disgrace daddy...."

srsly.... i mean. o collected the cards but there wont be one after this.

we ALL know once you do the space/time mumbo jumbo it's over. because the only thing you can make after that is Space/time mumbo jumbo II

take the mario series for example, they ran outa junk so they went into space. and after space there's not much you can do, so they just made a second one....

Caprice0083

Jun 24, 2009
Dammit man, pokeshyt just won't die. Their stupidity of made up animals saying their names to talk is still rotting brains!

Witty-Name

Jul 12, 2009
A lot of Japanese shows get movies every summer...
Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, etc.

It's also worth pointing out that there's usually some sort of perk involved with watching a Pokemon movie in Japan - typically a download of an exclusive or special edition Pokemon. For Aruseusu: Choukoku no Jikuu e it's a special edition Arceus, I'm guessing there's a lot of players who would see the movie just for the sake of the exclusive Pokemon.