Japanese Government Orders Investigation Into Overheating Vitas

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Japanese Government Orders Investigation Into Overheating Vitas

Sony insists that reports of overheating Vitas are mostly down to users charging them with wet cables.

The PlayStation Vita is beginning to catch on. It's also beginning to catch fire, if reports are to be believed. According to Japanese website, Yomiuri Shumbun, there have been 31 reported cases of Vita units becoming dangerously hot while charging since the device launched last December. 23 of those cases occurred in Japan, which has prompted the government to order an investigation into the matter.

The investigation will be carried out by the National Institute of Technology and Evaluation, an independent agency working on behalf of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

Judging by reports, the overheating problem seems to be linked to the Vita's charging cables, as every incident bears the same description: "The portable game machine was recharging. The cable burned out and changed colors. The cause is under investigation."

Sony maintains that there's no defect in the Vita's design, and cites human error as the cause of the problem.

"We believe the cause [of the burnouts] is that the cable got wet or had something stuck to it," read a company statement. "There is no defect."

Sony has since posted a press release on the Japanese PlayStation website, reminding those of you who enjoy smearing marmalade all over your handhelds that the unit's charging cables shouldn't be exposed to liquids or "foreign substances."

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/07/playstation-vita-overheating/]

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
I'll make a note not to charge my vita in the shower in the future.

Thirty out of how ever many thousand isn't horrible though it just depends on how severe the "Dangerously hot" is. Combusting and/or melting Vitas is cause for concern.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
This wouldn't be the first time that Sony has had a problem with overheating power lines. There was a recall for some of the PS2 slim power supplies that had a risk of setting the carpet on fire.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Human error, the number one cause of me laughing at the world.
I'm annoyed that they're telling me not to smear marmalade on my vita, what else am I meant to do with it?

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
shinsei-J said:
I'm annoyed that they're telling me not to smear marmalade on my vita, what else am I meant to do with it?
I can think of some uses. I'm just not allowed to talk about them.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
shinsei-J said:
install Linux on it :p

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
saintdane05 said:
But even when only storing "that stuff" on it, it still ends up covered in marmalade.
Evil Smurf said:
install Linux on it :p
Pretty sure that's what my PSP is for.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
shinsei-J said:
saintdane05 said:
But even when only storing "that stuff" on it, it still ends up covered in marmalade
Not for the Software... the Hardware.

Very well shaped for that type of use.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
shinsei-J said:
The marmalade or the Vita?

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
But Sony! What else am I going to put in the middle of my PBJ sammiches! That power cord was lending it a wonderfully chewy consistency!

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
As the proud owner of a 3G Playstation Vita, I can assure you that these claims are ridiculous. In the month I've owned one, I haven't experienced a single degree of uncomfortable heat.