Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Gathers Party, Ventures Forth

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Gathers Party, Ventures Forth

Everything you ever wanted to know about the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (but were afraid to ask) has now been revealed.

The latest - and, one would presume, last - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition countdown has hit zero, and that means that all the juicy launch details are finally at hand. First and foremost, the important bits: The PC version of the game comes out on September 18 and will sell for $19.99, and gamers who "pre-purchase" can knock two bucks off that price. And now, the details!

The Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition will contain everything that made the original game great, plus a big pile of new stuff including three new characters - Dorn Il-Khan, a half-orc Blackguard, Neera the half-elf Wild Mage and Rasaad yn Bashir, a Calishite Monk - and a brand-new adventure, The Black Pits, that adds more than six hours of gameplay set in the Underdark arena of the mad drow Baeloth. It will also offer all the improvements and additions that debuted in Baldur's Gate 2, allowing players to use classes, class kits and subraces that weren't available in the original game.

The interface has been updated and improved, as has the cross-platform multiplayer, and the game will support high resolutions and widescreen monitors. The original cinematics have also been replaced with "beautifully hand painted animated cinematics," and more than 400 "issues" from the original game have been found and fixed, resulting in a faster, smoother experience, and maybe even marginally less awful pathfinding.

And here are some screens:

[gallery=844]

The OS X and iPad versions of the game is also set for a September launch, although the specific date remains up in the air; the OS X edition will go for $19.99, while the iPad version will be only $9.99. The iPad release, however, will not include Dorn Il-Khan or Neera, who will instead be available as separate, in-app purchases. An Android version is on the way as well, also priced at $9.99 and with the same character restrictions, although no release date has been set.

A boxed release of the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for all you die-hard collector nerds is still a possibility, but not looking terribly likely at this point. Beamdog President Trent Oster said that negotiations for the release of a physical edition have "stalled," and that while he's still trying to put a deal together, it may not happen. For now, the game will be available exclusively via Beamdog.

So, to recap: 20 bucks, September 18, baldursgate.com [http://www.baldursgate.com/]. It's so exciting!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
WTB Linux version, then again it probably wont be too difficult to get it running through WINE. Pre purcahse awaaaaaaay!

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Not convinced considering I have my original games that I can get to work with a few tweaks, no problem. Including playing BG1 in a BG2 interface, unlocking classes that were not available in BG1 original.

Multiplayer? Well, that leaves me lukewarm (maybe a bit meh'd even), new cinematics aren't really that much of a tipping point. So it all depends on the new content; in which case I'll be waiting for community feedback.

In short? I'm underhewlmed, but while I am not going to pre-order, I'll most definitiely keep an eye on it and see if it turns out well. If it does, I'm getting it.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I'll pay for a box version, I'll pay four times as much if it takes it, TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Eh, I'd consider getting it, but I already bought it once from GoG.

It was terrible and I have no idea how they survived to make a sequel. It's weird because I actually really like BG2, but the first is a horrible narrative mess and very vague about what to do or why to the point of confusion.

I think I got about two hours in before every path I had left to choose ended in instant death to hilariously overpowered giant ass monsters that would one or two shot everyone in my party.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
Ooooh! I'm so excited!
I'd just like to know if the mods to the original one actually work on EE.
I read somewhere that most should, but I'd still like a confirmation.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
Zaik said:

It was terrible and I have no idea how they survived to make a sequel. It's weird because I actually really like BG2, but the first is a horrible narrative mess and very vague about what to do or why to the point of confusion.

I think I got about two hours in before every path I had left to choose ended in instant death to hilariously overpowered giant ass monsters that would one or two shot everyone in my party.
Funny, I didnt have that problem...

Wtf is beamdog anyway? I wouldnt mind a steam release

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Ryans Solution said:
I'll pay for a box version, I'll pay four times as much if it takes it, TAKE MY MONEY!!!
Trent Oster is trying to but so far talks on a boxed release are stalled.

TitsMcGee1804 said:
Zaik said:

Beamdog is another digital distribution service that was made by ex-Bioware employees. Also in their contract they can only sell it through Beamdog so it's that or nothing.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
80Maxwell08 said:
Ryans Solution said:

TitsMcGee1804 said:
Zaik said:

Beamdog is another digital distribution service that was made by ex-Bioware employees. Also in their contract they can only sell it through Beamdog so it's that or nothing.
That sucks, i hate having to download new clients and get new usernames and passwords for just one game, i would consider giving this one a miss

I was well excited too, what a bonerkill

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
TitsMcGee1804 said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Ryans Solution said:

TitsMcGee1804 said:
Zaik said:

That sucks, i hate having to download new clients and get new usernames and passwords for just one game, i would consider giving this one a miss

I was well excited too, what a bonerkill
You don't need the client just buy it from their site.
EDIT: Sorry I didn't mention that.

Oct 30, 2010
Still undecided (I have my old copies) but that is enough to move me from no-purchase to considering.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
You can just piss right off with that headline getting my hopes up this was released. Damn you.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Zaik said:
Welcome to AD&D. It's a notoriously unforgiving ruleset and its application in BG was very faithful to the original. It also required, at the higher levels, serious attention to tactics. Leaving the computer to take care of the NPCs in the party was usually a recipe for disaster, and without the right equipment and spells equipped you'd find yourself in trouble very quickly.

On the other hand, there were people who played the entire game, start to finish, solo. Kinda crazy, but doable.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
....will it have same-sex marriage? *ducks*

Y'know, I still have my original copies of BG1 and 2. I never finished the first one... and never even got around to installing the second. (friend gave me his copy, so nothing wasted) :/

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Woohoo will get as I could never get more than a couple of hours in because of the interface though I loved the series and I never found the time to try and do the BG Tutu mods etc. My only problem is why are so many things I want coming out around this time and I have to put it on hold to study....head meet desk, repeat.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I also am not sure if it is worth it for me, I have my original discs/maps/manuals/Tales of the Sword Coast expansion, I also bought it from GOG so I don't need those disks, and I run the Tutu/Widescreen mod so I get the expanded ruleset. I'm not sure the Enhanced Edition is offering me enough to justify buying it a third time.

I'm looking forward to seeing lots of THAC0 related questions and whinging about difficulty though.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Android version means they might be getting two purchases from me. As for reasons to buy the game, regardless of what previous versions you might have(I own the original and GoG versions), the code is supposed to be cleaned up, and there will be more for modders to work with than in the original(which was never meant to be modded in the first place). The real question, in the long term, is whether BGEE or GemRB will be the future of Baldur's Gate.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
20 bucks, huh? Since i already own the original, thats about twice as much as i'd be willing to pay for a patched version with some DLC attached.

Oh well.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
lancar said:
20 bucks, huh? Since i already own the original, thats about twice as much as i'd be willing to pay for a patched version with some DLC attached.

Oh well.
The only version with DLC is the tablet version, which is $10. The $20 PC version has all content included. And it's not just a patched version. The source code is being reorganized with modding in mind, meaning that we should see some new mods with fewer hard coded restrictions than in the original. If mods also mean nothing to you, then sure, it's just the same game patched for less bugs, better performance, higher resolution graphics, an improved UI, new content and a greater number of platforms available.

That's all.