Modders Restore Knights of the Old Republic II Content

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Modders Restore Knights of the Old Republic II Content

An amateur team presents KOTORII in its fullest form.

In a lot of ways, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II was the quintessential Obsidian game: a beautiful narrative, full of intriguing characters and rich gameplay, hamstrung by bugs and harangued by time constraints. While KOTORII was a compelling game in its own right, fans who bought the PC version and toyed around in the dark recesses of its folders realized there was a lot more to the planet-hopping adventure than was presented in the main story. After three years of painstaking work, the final version of The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod (TSLRCM) [http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm] is available for download. This mod fixes bugs, restores dialogue, and adds entire storyline sections, making it about as close as you'll get to the developers' original vision of KOTORII without going back in time and preventing them from rushing for a Christmas release.

"I worked on restoring cut content on pretty much every planet in the game as well as fixing gameplay issues," says Zbigniew Staniewicz, the project's leading man. He started out working on a KOTORII project entitled M4-78EP, which would have restored a level where HK assassin droids were manufactured [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/HK_Manufacturing_Plant], but transitioned over to restoring cut content after playing around with the game's existing Dantooine level. "We then started working on other planets as well eventually deciding to restore the whole game," Staniewicz recalls. "First public release was in September of 2009 if memory serves."

Since 2009, Staniewicz and his international team have done a ton of work to restore whatever they could from the KOTORII archives without imperiling the game's finalized narrative. "There were certainly some things that were cut intentionally, often probably because of plot changes during the development ... We kept to things that fit with the game, and most of those were cut due to time constraints," he explains. As a result, those who download the mod should be forewarned that not every single piece of cut content made it back in, just the parts of the game that jell with the overall storyline.

KOTORII was arguably a very strong game on its own merits, so it seems like fewer bugs and expanded content could serve only to enhance it. If you've got a hankering to replay this unusual entry in the Star Wars series, or experience it for the first time, it may be worth taking a look at Staniewicz's work. You have nothing to lose but about 60 megabytes of hard drive space.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/26/community-heroes-modders-debug-and-restore-cut-content-in-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii/]

Apr 28, 2008
Awesomesauce. Played through when it was 1.6, will be great to see what else was added. And fixed, for that matter. Hopefully they fixed the bug where sometimes conversations would bug out and speed right through in under a second. That was a fun one.

Now, to download, and play. Again. And again. And a few more times, just for good measure.

I really love this game, is what I'm saying. Best piece of Star Wars media. That I've experienced, at least. Granted it kind of helped that the story is more or less "Planescape Torment Star Wars Edition", but eh, I'll let it slide since it actually made Star Wars interesting and more than "good vs. evil. Again."

And of course the game is more or less considered non-canon by Lucasarts, which we see in full in The Old Republic. Because god forbid Star Wars has a story and characters that makes you think about the universe in new and interesting ways.

Why yes, I am rather bitter.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Awesome! I played a previous version of this and I thought it was good. I had a lot of fun modding this game back in the day. I'll have to reinstall and play this soon!

Amazing that they finally finished.

Sep 14, 2009
60 megabytes? are you sure? I could've swore it was much bigger than that...last time i downloaded it (this past spring i think?) it seemed to take alot longer than most mods, considering all the shit they restored...then again, that could've just been the 5000000 mods i added on top of it :p

still, this shit is worth it, get it people!

edit:

also, there are TONS of other good mods out there, so don't just check out the restored content mod! (even though it is amazing and well polished)

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Did any of you guys have trouble with the file not showing up after download.... anywhere on the C: drive?

Awesome nonetheless.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
Man, I was following along since the early days of TSLRP. It's good to see one of those projects finally come to completion.

Sep 14, 2009
quiet_samurai said:
Did any of you guys have trouble with the file not showing up after download.... anywhere on the C: drive?

Awesome nonetheless.
sometimes if they are getting too many downloads i've found that i'll try to download something and it'll only download the initial first couple kb's then stop randomly in my cache, so perhaps try to download it again, perhaps from a mirror if they have it.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Hang on, is this related to the Team Gizka Restoration Mod? I followed that thing for sooooo long.

Anyway, this is great. I liked KOTOR 2, and this just makes it even better.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
wow they finally did it.....

not sure Id want to play KOTOR...what with everything I do feeling pointless in the end

yes..even moreso than that other game

Apr 28, 2008
frizzlebyte said:
Hang on, is this related to the Team Gizka Restoration Mod? I followed that thing for sooooo long.

Anyway, this is great. I liked KOTOR 2, and this just makes it even better.
Nope. From what I gathered these people got tired of Team Gizka taking so long, so they started their own restoration project.

With blackjack, and hookers.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Well I wish I had KOTOR 2 for the PC now. Only have it on Xbox. Well hey it's cheap on amazon so one day.
EDIT: Hey a double pack featuring both KOTOR 1&2 and both of them work on Windows 7 64 bit. Might as well share this here.
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Knights-Republic-Bundle-Pack/dp/B00784HHUM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Oh, I loved that game, I think I still have it laying around somewhere, probably buried inside a box, looks like I might need to do some digging, hopefully it's still there, since otherwise I will have to order another copy from the Internet.
Vault101 said:
wow they finally did it.....

not sure Id want to play KOTOR...what with everything I do feeling pointless in the end

yes..even moreso than that other game
Really? I know the ending is more of an exposition dump than anything else but at least it made sense, besides I think [small](But am not sure)[/small] adds a couple of extra scenes at the end and should provide more closure than it did last time, but I guess you could say it would be like the extended cut of that other game.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Kaleion said:
I havnt played the ME3 extended cut

but its more that events and charachters from KOTOR have been "canonised" as a certain way

so Revans always going to be a guy and aprently somone you kill in the old republic

not very dignified end is it?

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Will they ever release a digital version of this game for sale? It's hard to find a copy down here, and I'd like to play it.