Resident Evil 6 Offers Player-Controlled Zombies

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Resident Evil 6 Offers Player-Controlled Zombies

Now you have the chance to personally eat Leon's brains.

As high-speed internet connections become prevalent among gamers, developers are coming up with unique ways to add various multiplayer features to single-player games. Demon's Souls allowed players to leave clues to assist other players, while Dragon's Dogma let players share their pawns with other players. Now Resident Evil 6 will take a slightly more direct approach by letting online players take over the roles of zombies and monsters, potentially transforming the game into a massive griefing simulator.

The feature will be implemented in a special gameplay mode called "Agent Hunt" which becomes available upon your first completion of the single-player campaign. Human players will need to progress through the single-player campaign as usual, while monster players will attempt to stop them by any means necessary. Monster players will be able to work as a team, and are even provided with voice chat to plan strategies as appropriate.

Human players will be warned when a human-controlled monster enters the game, but will not be told which particular enemy is the one they need to worry about. We can likely expect that human-controlled monsters will either be noticed as ones that clearly break from AI patterns, or ones clever enough to keep you from noticing them until it's too late.

Gamers familiar to the zombie genre may have noticed that "Agent Hunt" gameplay mode is actually very similar to "Versus" from Left 4 Dead, which put players in control of special infected while maintaining the original experience of survivor teams. Resident Evil 6's version might actually be an interesting addition that extends the lifespan of the title, even if it does take the franchise farther away from its survival horror roots.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-01-in-resident-evil-6-you-can-invade-other-peoples-games-as-a-monster>Eurogamer

Ganath

Jan 24, 2011
...Didn't expect something like this. I approve. It's awesome. Might not be the most original thing, but it seems like fun.

Noble_Lance

Sep 4, 2011
Only if its player optional will I agree that it sounds awesome. Cause if its just automatically when you play a second time I'd hate it.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
This is pretty awesome, game developers have talked about adding this for some time, but I can't remember actually playing something like this since versus mode in Perfect Dark

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
This is why I love the RE series.

Like I needed another reason to buy it!
*Insert Philip J. Fry image here*

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Sound like a really good idea to add extra reasons to play the game once you've complete it. That is if it's optional. If it's forced, then fuck you RE6 because that will suck balls, I don't want playing my game happily and some jackass ruins it for me.

GoldenSquirrel

Apr 6, 2011
Noble_Lance said:
Only if its player optional will I agree that it sounds awesome. Cause if its just automatically when you play a second time I'd hate it.
There's an option to turn it off if you want.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
I'm divided over this. On the one hand, if the single player was too easy then you could get an extra challenge over this. On the other hand, if they mess it up you could suddenly be staring down 3 very smart hard-to-kill monsters that'll murderate you very fast. This would very quickly get old.

This mode's success depends totally on the execution as to whether it'll be good or not.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Noble_Lance said:
Blazing Steel said:
Sound like a really good idea to add extra reasons to play the game once you've complete it. That is if it's optional. If it's forced, then fuck you RE6 because that will suck balls, I don't want playing my game happily and some jackass ruins it for me.
Given what the article says, I think it's save to assume that it isn't mandatory.
Fanghawk said:
The feature will be implemented in a special gameplay mode called "Agent Hunt" which becomes available upon your first completion of the single-player campaign.
The key words are "special gameplay mode."

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Moontouched-Moogle said:
Noble_Lance said:
Blazing Steel said:
Given what the article says, I think it's save to assume that it isn't mandatory.
Fanghawk said:
The feature will be implemented in a special gameplay mode called "Agent Hunt" which becomes available upon your first completion of the single-player campaign.
The key words are "special gameplay mode."
I read it as it you can select agent hunt to become the zombies, as it you can't join people's single player games untill you yourself have completed the campaige. Either of us could be right so we'll have to wait for more details.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I approve. I just hope that the "notice" that a player has entered my game isn't to immersion breaking. I am assuming there will be immersion. :)

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i have to admit. this sounds actually like a good idea. but still not sure if i will get the game.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
So....it's RE6 combined with Operation Raccoon City. Yeah, okay.

Like someone said, I hope it's optional. One thing I hated about Dark Souls was that random people could invade my world without my permission and they would kill me immediately. Me, the Dark Souls' noob. Yeah, I liked inviting my friends so they could helped me but no, I didn't like random strangers butting in and killing me just for fun.

See, that was the fun thing about L4D. You had the choice to either play the campaign as a human or a zombie trying to screw up someone.

Maybe I suck at RE. Maybe I just hate people. Maybe I just wanna kill some good ol' dumb AI. Let me have that, at least. So if they do that, then sure, that's an awesome idea.