Today's Youth Unimpressed With Commodore 64

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Today's Youth Unimpressed With Commodore 64

The BBC sends a games enthusiast to schools to see what they think of the classic computer system.

30 years ago, in the month of August, 1982, the Commodore 64 8-bit computer was first released to the public. Over the course of its lifetime, it sold between 12.5 to 17 million units, making it the best-selling PC of all time and a highly recognizable gaming system. Despite the Commodore's popularity, its ludicrously long loading times and simplistic graphics eventually forced the industry to retire the tape-based device in favor of more advanced cartridge-based systems. Many gamers still look back fondly at the Commodore 64, including enthusiast Matt Allen, who took his well-preserved system to elementary and secondary schools to see what kids today think about it.

"I want to convince the kids of today that the machine I grew up with, the Commodore 64, is as great as it ever was 30 years on," Allen told the BBC. "This is the machine I played in my teenage years. Along with the Sinclair Spectrum, it was the computer to have in the 1980s."

Allen had some trouble convincing elementary school students how impressive the Commodore 64 was in its day. "By the time that we'd managed to get the game to load, I'd lost half my audience," he explains, as the camera turns to children who are more interested in commenting on the loading screen or music than playing the actual game. Allen did have more luck keeping the attention of secondary school students, but received mixed results on the games themselves.

"It's not really amazing from our point of view," one student admitted. She then immediately backtracked to say "Well, it's good, it's good, but ... for then it must have been pretty incredible."

"It's different than modern consoles 'cause there's only one button and a joystick on this one," says another, "while some modern consoles have loads of buttons which you have to try and remember what they do."

The only time I personally saw a tape-loading game system was last year when a friend of mine brought his out of storage. While I'm fascinated by the Commodore 64 as a piece of gaming history, I don't think anyone realistically wants to go back to a time when you waited ten minutes or more to load graphics even simpler than the original Mario Bros. Despite that, I am very glad that people like Allen keep showing off their classic gaming devices, and hope that they will continue to do so for the gamers of tomorrow, even if responses are somewhat mixed.

"I didn't think it was that different from normal games," one student suggested. "I mean, the graphics were ... a lot worse."

Source: <a href=http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19055707>BBC

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I honestly can't remember if I have ever played the Commodore 64 as a kid or not. I remember playing something similar at an after school program, but this had to have been the early to mid 90's so I kind of doubt it. Would love to try it out some time just to say I did it.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
It's nice as a piece of gaming history, but its outdated and not as good as today's systems. I don't want a 30 year old computer and l don't want a thirty year old TV or a thirty year old cell phone (early 80s phones... ugggh). Technology is a forward moving process. New technology replace old technology and is provably better at things then the old tech. There are very few reason to stick with outdated technology, one of which is nostalgia.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
The commodore 64 may as well be a cave painting to these kids. Hell the Sega Mega Drive is ancient to primary school kids now. The it's not their fault that they're not impressed by it, they have not seen the evolution of the technology from the Commodore to what we have today. Perhaps it may have been better to start with a more recent generation and work back from there.

Mister Six

Aug 16, 2010
I'm not sure how he expected anything other then the kids' reaction. Yes the 64 was a godsend back then, but those kids he introduced it to only know about the current gen, it'd be like showing a Model T to a group of teens who all own new cars.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Another glorious failure of the British education system.
How exactly? Kids are getting used to having really advanced technology, of course they're not overly impressed with what we had 30 years ago. They haven't even been alive that long.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Fanghawk said:
"I want to convince the kids of today that the machine I grew up with, the Commodore 64, is as great as it ever was 30 years on,"
So.... he wanted to lie to them? Yes, back then 30 years ago it was pretty awesome because it represented the best at the time. If his point had been more to illuminate how technology had progressed and get students to form an opinion on the rise of technology throughout the years.
Entering a school with the express intention of trying to prove that the Commodore 64 remains a great system is quite frankly stupid. I dont understand how he thought it'd work on any level really.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
My Grandad still has a Commodore 64 in great condition. He's hooked it up to his TV monitor and it sits on his desk. I've played it a few times and I have to say, I was impressed by it. The sheer simplistic brilliance of it is amazing.

Plus, I don't think his one takes 10 minutes to load...

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Well if he'd had brought an Amiga I bet he'd of gotten a far better reaction. Amiga FTW!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The guy was seriously expecting them to be impressed?

I mean, why would they be?

Nutter.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Twilight_guy said:
It's nice as a piece of gaming history, but its outdated and not as good as today's systems. I don't want a 30 year old computer and l don't want a thirty year old TV or a thirty year old cell phone (early 80s phones... ugggh). Technology is a forward moving process. New technology replace old technology and is provably better at things then the old tech. There are very few reason to stick with outdated technology, one of which is nostalgia.
The countless successful indie and mobile games that are built on the same simplistic play style as those in the Commodore 64 days would beg to differ. I think that in large is what he was trying to demonstrate to the students. I'm sure he didn't expect them to be impressed by the hardware itself.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Why should they be impressed with a C64? The thing is a billion times weaker than the computer they use in class.

Hate the nostalgia filter showing its ugly head.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
mindlesspuppet said:
Twilight_guy said:
The countless successful indie and mobile games that are built on the same simplistic play style as those in the Commodore 64 days would beg to differ. I think that in large is what he was trying to demonstrate to the students. I'm sure he didn't expect them to be impressed by the hardware itself.
If he was presenting the games rather then the system he could have easily brought in a laptop with an emulator and shown off his games. He didn't, he wanted to present the system as a whole. The system is outdated. Also, yes I was describing hardware, since obviously software is not as provably inferior or superior.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Xanthious said:
Well if he'd had brought an Amiga I bet he'd of gotten a far better reaction. Amiga FTW!
I came here to say just that. And I'm slightly surprised to not be the first.

*brofist*

<youtube=IMJIiwDlEYo>

<youtube=XdPCEHe5aio>
<youtube=BwzqKYjU6tM>
<youtube=LQSsq7HCNHw>
<youtube=bAZEsjtoERM>
<youtube=4N0x83dKCkw>

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Huh?
So it's a failing that the education system isn't covering 30 year old home computers?
What are they thinking?

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Blunderboy said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Huh?
So it's a failing that the education system isn't covering 30 year old home computers?
What are they thinking?
Yeah, schools that teach their students about important pieces of history are silly.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
A 30 year old technology is shit in the modern days... stop the presses, we have something new to write about.

Is this guy serious?

"I want to convince the kids of today that the stone I grew up with is as great as it ever was 5k years ago".

Just because something was incredible at the time when it was created doesn't mean it will withstand the effect of time. Especially not technology which is much better with every year that passes.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Mister Six said:
I'm not sure how he expected anything other then the kids' reaction. Yes the 64 was a godsend back then, but those kids he introduced it to only know about the current gen, it'd be like showing a Model T to a group of teens who all own new cars.
With the average person, maybe, but for anyone who's into cars, they'd certainly get excited about it. Actually, a Model T or something else from that era is a lot easier for the general public to appreciate than a C64 is. In some ways, the basics of them have changed a lot less in a century than computers have in a couple decades. My uncle and his friend restored a Model A, and pretty much anyone can be impressed by seeing a hundred-year-old car that runs smoothly at 60mph.

Fanghawk said:
The only time I personally saw a tape-loading game system was last year when a friend of mine brought his out of storage. While I'm fascinated by the Commodore 64 as a piece of gaming history, I don't think anyone realistically wants to go back to a time when you waited ten minutes or more to load graphics even simpler than the original Mario Bros. Despite that, I am very glad that people like Allen keep showing off their classic gaming devices, and hope that they will continue to do so for the gamers of tomorrow, even if responses are somewhat mixed.
Kids these days. My first computer was a VIC-20. Don't make me pull it out of the closet. Some of the tapes might even still load. Heh.