NASA Developing Space-Bound Submarine

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
NASA Developing Space-Bound Submarine

NASA has greenlit funding for a host of projects that make Curiosity look pedestrian.

With the Curiosity rover twenty-eight such futuristic projects [http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/news/msl20120806.html]. The roster of winners includes a submarine designed to explore Jupiter's moon Europa, a robot that wants to landsail across the surface of Venus, and a device that could be used repurpose the solid parts of waste water as radiation shielding. That's NASA, baby.

The projects were split into the categories of "Phase I" and "Phase II," with Phase I ideas being brand-new projects that were awarded $100,000 for one year each. The Phase II projects, of which there are ten, are described as former Phase I projects that stand ready for development. They'll receive $500,000 for two years.

Unsurprisingly, the more outlandish projects are found in the Phase I awards, including the landsailer that plans to "sail" across Venus using the planet's electromagnetic fields. We also find in Phase I something called "Water Walls [http://www.spacearchitect.org/pubs/GLEX-2012.10.1.9x12503.pdf]," a concept where fecal matter, urine, and other such undesireable material is removed from waste water and repurposed as radiation shielding. Another winning project aims to build an air purification system that contains no moving parts.

Phase II is the home of slightly more developed projects, including the amazing-sounding V2Suit [http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/early_stage_innovation/niac/duda_variable_vector.html]. The V2Suit is a spacesuit kitted out with an astounding array of gyroscopes, accelerometers, and associated gadgetry fitted into the limbs and body of the suit itself. The data provided by these devices will be used to instruct flywheels integrated into the suit to apply resistance to the astronaut's movements, replicating Earth-like gravity even in conditions of zero- or micro-gravity.

"These selections represent the best and most creative new ideas for future technologies that have the potential to radically improve how NASA missions explore new frontiers," said Michael Gazarik, director of NASA's Space Technology Program, commenting on the awards. "NASA is taking the long-term view of technological investment and the advancement that is essential for accomplishing our missions. We are inventing the ways in which next-generation aircraft and spacecraft will change the world and inspiring Americans to take bold steps."

Sadly, when Gazarik says "long-term," he means it: None of the weird and wonderful projects that received NIAC funding this year are expected to go anywhere near space for at least another ten years or so. Still, that doesn't mean that they won't head out to give Curiosity a run for its money at some point in the future. Dream big, right? Dream big.

Source: Wired [http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/early_stage_innovation/niac/niac_2012_phaseIandII_awards.html]

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Meanwhile the US Military has just bought 100 more stealth bombers.

Stay classy America.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I've been in love with NASA since I was a kid, even after I witnessed Challenger's disaster and later Columbia. I attended Space Camp in 6th Grade and wanted to become an astronaut but personal issues got in the way and I'll probably never see space but in video and photo format since I'm no Richard Garriot.
Still its a bright day for me to see that NASA is back on the upswing and I'm hoping that we as a species realize our destiny, our future is out there beyond the stars and that NASA and programs like it are our best hope for expansion. Ever since we started the "space race" our technology has skyrocketed, but lately I feel we stagnated and lost sight of that goal. We should be exploring industry related to space travel and perhaps even set ambitious goals such as putting a small colony on the moon. If that were to ever come about and I wasn't too old, I'd jump at the chance to be part of it... The time has come for civilians to be space jockeys... In fact I believe its long past that.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is the inherent problem with a bureaucratically created organization such as NASA, some of these projects are amazing. But say any one of them gets greenlit for actual use, it will be so long till it goes up that the technology involved will be downright obsolete.

Saviordd1 said:

Stay classy America.
I get what you are saying, but those things have nothing to do with each other. It's a fundamental fallacy to think that if money was not going to war that it would be going to something else that is definitely more deserving of the funds. War is just an excuse for the bank book. If that money is not spent on War, it is still spent, but we don't know on what. As it is with every bureaucratic system.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Saviordd1 said:

Stay classy America.
If you want to get NASA's budget increased, just convince the Republicans that there are brown people on Mars.

And that they're gay.
Please enlighten me to the joke, because it is inflammatory, unfunny, and just plane rude. Also consider that several Republicans ran on increasing NASA's budget.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
DRTJR said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Saviordd1 said:

Stay classy America.
If you want to get NASA's budget increased, just convince the Republicans that there are brown people on Mars.

And that they're gay.
Please enlighten me to the joke, because it is inflammatory, unfunny, and just plane rude. Also consider that several Republicans ran on increasing NASA's budget.
He's trying to say it's funny that Republicans are racist homophobes. I disagree, I just think it's sad that Republicans are racist homophobes.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
SecondPrize said:
DRTJR said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Saviordd1 said:

Stay classy America.

And that they're gay.
He's trying to say it's funny that Republicans are racist homophobes. I disagree, I just think it's sad that Republicans are racist homophobes.
Well, I think it's sad that Democrats are rude, intolerant, and moronic.

But let's not call each other names when we can agree NASA is one of the single most important things that the American government does. We demean ourselves as well as our opponents from ignoring that we have differences that are valid, and not entirely in direct opposition.

Mike the Bard

Jan 25, 2010
If all this tech gets put to use, then i guess it'll be a compliment if someone tells you your heat shields are a pile of shit.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Saviordd1 said:

Stay classy America.

And that they're gay.
So, show them this? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayniggers_from_Outer_Space] Yes, it's a real thing.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Saviordd1 said:

Stay classy America.

And that they're gay.
Then they'd just nuke mars, and that wouldn't do us any good now would it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I was close: When I read about the submarine in the title of the article I thought Titan. All of these projects sound really cool and even though it may take a decade or longer before any of them come to fruition, its good to know that there will be more stuff that matches curiosity and/or makes it look like jury-rigging a camera to an RC plane happening within my pre-mid-life-time.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008

Red October, standing by.
......NiNjad!!!!!!!! GGGRRAAAHHHHH, damn that rarely happens to me. Knew I should of read the comments.

Well screw NASA and their plans. Me and the Japanese Space Program are just gona have to build Space Battleship Yamato.

That resistance inducing space suit sounds like a really cool idea. But it'll only feel like you have gravity, which may be a bad idea in a no gravity environment. Or I could be wrong.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
Last year I read the book Ilium in which one of the main characters actually is a robot explorer in a submarine on Europa the moon of Neptune.

Aside from that it was about Olympian gods actually living on mount Olympus on Mars. So i'll be waiting for the Rover to send back some interesting pictures.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Wait a minute now - we're building a suit that controls GRAVITY?! I mean, even it's just replicating Earth conditions - holy hell!

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Saviordd1 said:

Stay classy America.
They have a total of 21, and have no plans to build any more...

As for the projects, good to see that they haven't completely closed the doors at NASA. But its not entirely shocking they had a major budget cut as the Air Force has pretty much taken over Orbital flights with the X-37B.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Antari said:
Saviordd1 said:

Stay classy America.
They have a total of 21, and have no plans to build any more...

As for the projects, good to see that they haven't completely closed the doors at NASA. But its not entirely shocking they had a major budget cut as the Air Force has pretty much taken over Orbital flights with the X-37B.
Twas an exaggerated joke