DayZ Breaks Out of ArmA II

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
DayZ Breaks Out of ArmA II

The standalone version of DayZ will follow a "Minecraft development model."

As a relatively new add-on for military simulation game ArmA II, the DayZ mod has gained a lot of steam since its alpha release a few months ago. The open nature of the zombie-infested world, combined with a focus on survival, has made it a hit with over a million players so far. Now on the heels of that milestone, announced recently over Twitter [https://twitter.com/dayzdevteam/status/232554341674938368], the development team has more good news for its fans; DayZ is officially going to be turned into a standalone game. The mod's creator, Dean "Rocket" Hall, called the news a "fairy-tale outcome" for the mod.

The game's developer and publisher is none other than ArmA II developer Bohemia Interactive, with Hall leading the project. It will be released using a "Minecraft development model," according to Hall, who specifically cited releasing frequent updates and making an alpha version of the game available for a discounted price. Hall had contemplated this pricing structure [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118331-DayZ-Could-Break-Free-From-ArmA-II] earlier, when he first discussed turning the mod into a standalone game.

This game's development doesn't mean instant abandonment of the mod itself, though - the DayZ mod will still be updated "in parallel with the development of the game," according to Hall. Whether the mod will keep up with the game after it comes out, or whether the limitations of the ArmA II engine will hold it back, still remains to be seen. Other information, like the release date and price, should be revealed over the next few weeks.

Source: Eurogamer [http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/28904791570/the-end-of-the-beginning]

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Well it seems like this zombie game...

*Puts on glasses*

Just got a new lease of life...

Nah, that was rubbish. Anyway, as one of the people that hadn't actually played the game or Arma II, I look forward to this, hopefully a new engine will appeal to graphics whores like me, at least in comparison anyway.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Well I'm excited, really wanted to play DayZ but just couldn't get past how horrible it looked.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Still not going to even give it a chance until pvp only is off the table. I want to at least try it, but screw pvp. I can deal with broken unpolished games, I can't deal with the constant thought that some random asshat can snipe me for no reason. Don't tell me that's the point, the point is to have fun, and I don't find that fun.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
when did he arma 2 engine look "bad"? max that engine out and it hangs out with crysis looks wise, it even looks more real than crysis sometimes, so i duuno what is wrong with the graphics of dayz exactly.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I know this is wishful thinking, but any chance we could have this on consoles as well. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease?!

I now await being struck down with screams of "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" by PC players.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Yay i'll finally be able to play arma 2 without dayz clogging up my server browser!
I also hope that the cod crowd who whine about the fact that they suck and don't know how to play the game will stop asking rocket to dumb it down

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
I know this is wishful thinking, but any chance we could have this on consoles as well. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease?!

I now await being struck down with screams of "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" by PC players.
Why would we want to deny people the chance to play the game based on our system preference? I didn't see many Minecraft players going "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when the 360 version was released.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Terrible User Interface, poor user functionality and inputs. Build a great game on a terrible one and you aren't going to get much of a better one.

I am sad they are going with Bohemia, ARMA 2 is a terrible bug ridden game with some of the worst AI I have ever seen.

I guess I will be waiting for WarZ.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Andy Shandy said:

Why would we want to deny people the chance to play the game based on our system preference? I didn't see many Minecraft players going "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when the 360 version was released.
It's just something I've seen on a few forums, where people don't like other platforms having their games. It's daft, but it happens.

DVS BSTrD said:
Andy Shandy said:

Day Z, Day Z,
Give me your answer do,
I'm half brain dead,
Since being bit by you.

Fantastic.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Oh fuck yeah!

I've put over 250 hours into DayZ already and I've probably died to bugs more than anything else, so a new engine will be awesome :)

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Fr said:
anc[is]Still not going to even give it a chance until pvp only is off the table. I can deal with broken unpolished games, I can't deal with the constant thought that some random asshat can snipe me for no reason. Don't tell me that's the point, the point is to have fun, and I don't find that fun.
actually it's not meant to be fun it's meant to be a survival simulator where survival is the goal not fun, adapt or die.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
Unlike some people I don't think a console port is completely out of the question. I've seen a lot of videos and while the game is good-looking, it doesn't seem so graphically intensive that there's just no way any console can run it. Both the game world and enemy A.I. are very simplistic. Par back the graphics a bit and maybe lower the player count and it could be done.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
rolfwesselius said:
actually it's not meant to be fun
If you're not having any sort of fun at all while playing your video games there is something wrong with you

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
JokerboyJordan said:
I look forward to this, hopefully a new engine will appeal to graphics whores like me, at least in comparison anyway.
lRookiel said:
Oh fuck yeah!

I've put over 250 hours into DayZ already and I've probably died to bugs more than anything else, so a new engine will be awesome :)
They never said it was getting a new engine, just that it was going standalone. Typically, this means the same engine, just look at Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Killing Floor... Especially if it's being published by the same company, it's a safe bet it'll use the same engine, just without the requirement of having the original.

The obvious advantage of this is that installation and updates should be significantly easier if it's a standalone. I'm hoping that being standalone will also give them a bit more control over the engine and lead to more bugfixes, but I can't say for sure since I don't really know enough about the Arma II engine. If nothing else, monetizing it should have a positive impact since it means more incentive and budget to solve issues.

P.S. Thanks

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Fr said:
anc[is]
rolfwesselius said:
actually it's not meant to be fun
If you're not having any sort of fun at all while playing your video games there is something wrong with you
I have allot of fun in day z it's just not meant to be fun.
Its meant to be grueling, hard, unforgiving, downright cruel and that is why i love it.