"Project RPG" Becomes Lords of the Fallen

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Project RPG" Becomes Lords of the Fallen

The new game being developed by Witcher 2 producer Tomasz Gop finally has a name.

Remember back in April, when former CD Projekt Red man Tomasz Gop announced that he'd begun work on a new game that he referred to simply as "Project RPG [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116669-The-Witcher-Producer-Tries-Something-New]?" The first, and so far only, bit of concept art might ring a louder bell: a lone figure looking out at a distant mountain that resembled nothing so much as a gigantic, half-buried hand - the hand of a fallen god. It's a heck of an image, and now it finally has a proper name to go along with it.

Lords of the Fallen will be set in a "medieval fantasy world" ruled by a fallen god, according to an update to Gop's LinkedIn profile, and will pit the player against his presumably evil forces, with particular emphasis on boss battles against "the formidable Lords and Generals that command his demonic army." And while the focus is on "hardcore action-RPG" gameplay, Gop added that "the story plot and twists allow approaching the conflict between humans and demons from various perspectives."

No, it's not much in the way of a huge infodump revelation, but it does sound intriguing. And as a guy with five years of experience working on the Witcher franchise, Gop will hopefully be able to give the game a little more depth than the average click-to-kill-fest. Lords of the Fallen is currently slated to come out sometime in 2013 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Source: LinkedIn [http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=5988164&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=tng-&locale=en_US&srchid=6af80466-956a-49c5-84fc-bf18097f1bea-0&srchindex=1&srchtotal=1&goback=%2Efps_PBCK_tomasz+gop_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*2_*1_Y_*1_*1_*1_false_1_R_*1_*51_*1_*51_true_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2&pvs=ps&trk=pp_profile_name_link]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
And the award for "most generic sounding name in the last 5 years of gaming media" goes to...

Aug 25, 2009
So the until now named 'Project RPG' is set to become...

Every EPG every made ever. And possibly every fantasy story ever told ever. And maybe even just a rehash of that old favourite, Joe Campbell's Hero's Journey.

I'm looking forward to it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Meh, might be pretty good considering who's making it.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Honestly, I like the sound of it. Sure, it's not exactly blazing a new trail, but CDProjekt has already made two games deconstructing the hell out of Tolkienian Fantasy, I'd like to see what they can do with an attempt at a reconstruction of classic fantasy stories.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Who want to be the lords of people or things that keep getting fallen down?

Well I will reserve my judgement til I seen or read more about this upcoming game.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
And the award for "most generic sounding name in the last 5 years of gaming media" goes to...
Cereal.

The entire premise sounds generic. "evil god thrown down on the world". "demonic armies". Why does it have to be demonic?

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Sounds like the plot of Devil May Cry 1. Except without the half-demon protagonist.

Looking forward to more info.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
I'm sure this will still be a very good game but I was hoping it would sound a little less generic.

GangstaPony

Apr 29, 2012
I want a steam-punk RPG where all the factions are anthropomorphic animal people like Bunny-Men, Cat-Men etc and they all have inter-cultural and political conflicts with each other.

Game Of Thrones Meets Looney Tunes

THAT is a game I would play...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
as long as the music is cool, I don't have any issues with genericness

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
GangstaPony said:
I want a steam-punk RPG where all the factions are anthropomorphic animal people like Bunny-Men, Cat-Men etc and they all have inter-cultural and political conflicts with each other.

THAT is a game everyone would play.
So long as there are airships.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
and will pit the player against his presumably evil forces
Good vs evil conflict in an fantasy RPG?

Been there, done that. Will pass....

Andy Chalk said:
the focus is on "hardcore action-RPG" gameplay
"hardcore action-RPG gameplay" ???????????

LAAAWL.

Overall, doesn't sound intriguing at all

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
GangstaPony said:

Suddenly you hear loud prop noises, you turn around, next to your outer deck another airship rises, a figure in a wrenchmonkey suit and flying goggles stares at you and after crunching down the last bit of carrot says "So eeh, what's up Doc" before blasting your engines dead.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Hey, before lambasting it for being unoriginal, maybe look at who's making it? The Witcher 2 was fantastic, at least wait until we have more information on it before making an opinion?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Polish people always knew how to make good RPG's(look @ Witcher series).Seeing that we will help ourselves with more RPG goodness is always good.

I'm looking forward to see this game.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Meh depends what the protagonist/story is like. I don't like Geralt or the Witcher universe so if it's anything like that I think I will avoid it.