Buffy Actor Stars in Sci-Fi Web Series

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Buffy Actor Stars in Sci-Fi Web Series

Not too long ago, internet video production was the exclusive realm of amateur attention-seekers with shaky cams. While YouTube is still inundated with teenagers venting into webcams and low-budget zombie romps, a few high-profile names have H+ The Digital Series [http://www.watchtheguild.com/], a fairly high-minded YouTube show with sci-fi sensibilities. Singer is not the only big name involved with the project, as he'll be bringing Alexis Denisof (Wesley from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) along with him as a star.

H+ takes place in the near future, where an "HPlus" chip allows humans to use their own bodies as internet conduits. After a mysterious virus wipes out billions of people, the story centers on an eclectic collection of characters who must grapple with politics, intrigue, and technology advancing faster than human morality can keep up with it. Instead of a sequential story, the show's 48 episodes will embrace multiple perspectives, intersecting narratives, and a playlist system that allows viewers to choose whether to watch episodes in a chronological or character-arc sequence.

Singer, who also produced X-Men: First Class, and Denisof, who is perhaps better known these days as Sandy Rivers in How I Met Your Mother [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9jkhyvsr8A], are not the only big names attached to the project. New Girl's Hannah Simone will play a leading female role, and Stewart Handler, the director of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn will take on H+'s directorial responsibilities. John Cabrera, the man behind Gilmore Girls, conceived the project - whether this is a good or bad thing will largely depend on how religiously you tuned into that show during your adolescent years.

Given that the show's budget is not astronomical and generating significant revenue on YouTube is arguably more difficult than juggling multiple cream pies while riding a unicycle, there is plenty that can go wrong between the first and 48th episodes. Still, if you've got a few minutes, it couldn't hurt to check it out; it may be good reference material for when the first actual internet epidemic starts wiping out massive chunks of the global populace.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
This show reminds me of Megaman EXE. Probably the Internet thing.

You know, I wouldn't mind a rerelease of those. Just as long as I got a damn map...

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
The choosing in what order to watch bit could be very interesting, if they do it right, colour me intrigued.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Well Whesley was more of a Angel guy than Buffy guy (intriduced in buffy quickly went to angel) but still the same buffyverse. However he was not interesting enough for me to jump into anything hes in but since its free i may as well hive it a try.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Strazdas said:
Well Whesley was more of a Angel guy than Buffy guy (intriduced in buffy quickly went to angel) but still the same buffyverse. However he was not interesting enough for me to jump into anything hes in but since its free i may as well hive it a try.
Well, what did you expect? They are of course going to call him a "Buffy star" not a "Buffy spin-off star".

The fact the title doesn't give his name is in of itself a very big clue that people aren't that excited by him.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
It's going to be ass. Pretentious message, piss pool of a budget and a bunch of shit directors. Yeah I'll give this a miss.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Strazdas said:
Well, what did you expect? They are of course going to call him a "Buffy star" not a "Buffy spin-off star".

The fact the title doesn't give his name is in of itself a very big clue that people aren't that excited by him.
yeah but i was expecting something more along the lines of James Marsters. lets face it, none of the buffy actors are famous enough to be name-recognized by more people than be buffy-recognized.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
I'm just gonna say it- at least M Night Shyamalan isn't making it. Oh no, he's busy trying to ruin the careers of Will Smith and some idiot from The Karatie Kid.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Strazdas said:
yeah but i was expecting something more along the lines of James Marsters. lets face it, none of the buffy actors are famous enough to be name-recognized by more people than be buffy-recognized.
Depends on the country. Over here in England, Anthony Stewart Head is well known as an actor (he was in a long-running series of coffee ads many moons ago, as well as starring in various other shows and was even a Dr Who villain for one episode) in his own right.

Alyson Hannigan is currently starring (and has been for the past few years) in a very popular sitcom, too. Not every Buffy alumni wound up like Nicholas Brendon.