Update: Sony Abandons The Last Guardian Trademark

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Update: Sony Abandons The Last Guardian Trademark

A trademark status change indicates that Team Ico's The Last Guardian may be canceled.

More than three years after its announcement, Team Ico's The Last Guardian is still missing in action. After its E3 2009 reveal, the spiritual successor to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus was given a vague 2011 release window. That year came and went without any updates about The Last Guardian; meanwhile, the game's GameStop removed the pre-order listing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114582-The-Last-Guardian-Executive-Producer-Quits-Sony] from its system. Though many held onto hope that the game was still in development, The Last Guardian's trademark was abandoned earlier this week, indicating that it may never be released.

On Monday, August 6, the formerly active trademark changed to "abandoned - no statement of use filed," with a Notice of Abandonment [http://tdr.uspto.gov/jsp/DocumentViewPage.jsp?77750563/NOA20120806223349/Notice%20of%20Abandonment/1/06-Aug-2012/sn/false#p=1] being sent off to Sony. The trademark listing changed "because the applicant failed to file for a statement of use or an extension of time," suggesting that Sony has no use for the name The Last Guardian anymore.

Despite rumors to the contrary, Sony has repeatedly insisted that The Last Guardian is not dead. The trademark can be revived or reinstated if Sony petitions to do so within two months, so hope isn't completely lost. However, if the publisher couldn't hang onto the trademark past its expiration date, it seems unlikely that it will make any efforts to recover it.

Source: PlayStation Lifestyle [http://www.trademarkia.com/the-last-guardian-77750563.html]

Update: Sony has responded to the trademark questions and confirmed that The Last Guardian is not canceled. According to the publisher, "the project is still in development. Nothing new to report at this time." While it's strange that a company as big as Sony would let a trademark become abandoned so casually, this should come as a relief to those who have been following the game's development for the last three years.

Source: GamesRadar [https://twitter.com/jimreilly/status/233672460061532160]

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009

I was so excited for this game, its sad to see it in its death spasms...

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Saw this coming. After all this time and the departure of key people, it's hard to fault Sony for losing faith in The Last Guardian.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Dammit, and I was looking forward to this one too... Why does good stuff get canceled half the time? :(

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Well, there goes anything I was looking forward to in life, and now only have a deep abyss of darkness and hate.

Does anybody know where I can get a chair, a hook strong enough to hold the human body, and some rope?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
Dammit, and I was looking forward to this one too... Why does good stuff get canceled half the time? :(
One reason seems to be that they take to long to release it.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
DustyDrB said:
Saw this coming. After all this time and the departure of key people, it's hard to fault Sony for losing faith in The Last Guardian.
Yeah pretty much. I can't imagine sales projections for the game were ever staggeringly high either given the previous titles from the studio. Which, while critically acclaimed and while they certainly have their following, can't have been unit shifters for Sony.

Unfortunate that anything different these days seems damned to obscurity but then it's been happening for years.

I'm still mad at the world for not buying enough copies of TWEWY.

Apr 28, 2008

Please, please say it isn't so. Please, no. Please don't be cancelled. I just... dammit man, no! NO! DAMMIT NO!!

DAMMIT! DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!

I've already lost STALKER 2. I can't lose this as well.

EDIT: So... it's not cancelled? Phwew. Let's hope it stays that way.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
No...NO....NO GODDAMMIT!!

Don't you dare die on me! D:

I...I...I need to be alone....

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I'll just remain optimistic and assume they're letting the trademark die because they're just changing the name of the game.

Yep, I'm in my happy place. Nobody can bring me out of it!

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Please, please, PLEASE don't let this happen, world. To Kickstarter! We cannot let this die!

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Didn't a similar thing happen with Shadow of the Colossus?
Wasn't it called NICO and had a completely different concept that was scrapped in favor of SOTC?

I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic.
This isn't the first time a game has gone vaporware only to return triumphantly with a name change.

[sub][sub]This might be my denial speaking.[/sub][/sub]

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
YEEEEEEEESSS- er, *ahem* I mean NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
That's really not a good sign. But is it a possibility that they're just renaming the game? That could be an explanation. Not that I personally care that much really. I loved SotC and liked Ico, but I was never excited about this game. We hardly saw anything of it and what we did see I wasn't that impressed by. The design of the griffin creature looks pretty retarded to me for one thing.

Rainboq said:

I was so excited for this game, its sad to see it in its death spasms...
That video is a work of art. That woman at 1:20 is hilarious! She looks like she just suddenly realised that she's supposed to be acting as the camera focuses on her.

coil

Apr 5, 2007
Misleading headline is misleading: "Sony Abandons Trademark"

More accurate: "Sony allows Last Guardian trademark to lapse"

The trademark expired because it's been too long without it being "used." Sony has two months to reclaim it. This wasn't an action by Sony; it was a lack of upkeep.

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
I hope it ends up being a false alarm, I really want to see this game released.