Google's Self-Driving Cars Pass 300,000 Miles Accident-Free

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Google's Self-Driving Cars Pass 300,000 Miles Accident-Free

According to Google, the self-driving car is ready to ferry its employees to work.

Driverless cars have been a widely-held goal for some time now, with their potential applications extending from allowing visually impaired people to travel independently to increasing safety standards thanks to the lightning-fast reaction times provided by the technology that drives them. Having unveiled its self-driving car project [http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/what-were-driving-at.html] a few years back, engineers from Google this week revealed that since then, their fleet of twelve driver-free cars has driven over 300,000 miles without incurring any accidents. Thanks to this success, the cars are apparently now ready to drive Google employees to work alone.

While we don't know just how many of those miles were covered on Google's controlled test track, we do know that the cars have been tested in a wide variety of traffic conditions and roads. This demonstration [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgQpa1pUUE], in which a visually impaired man experiences the freedom of piloting a driverless car to Taco Bell, showcases the car's quick response and generally reliability.

Up until now, however, the cars have always required a team of at least two road-proficient humans to monitor them whenever they've gone out on the road. According to Google, the next step will be for drivers to head out in the cars solo, staying in the driver's seat (with one foot on the brake pedal, one presumes) for the duration of the journey.

In addition to this, Google is planning to train the cars in how to handle wintery weather, temporary construction and diversion signs, and other "tricky conditions" that drivers tend to encounter on the road. The company is planning to use the newly-added Lexus RX450h self-driving model to achieve this.

While it would be hard to imagine a sensible human being agreeing to be driven around by a set of computers right now, it increasingly seems to be the case that that might not be such a ludicrous idea in the future. 300,000 miles without incident, even though some of it was undoubtly spent in super-safe test areas, is no mean feat. Will we one day trust these machines to ferry us, sci-fi like, from place to place? Would you ever trust such a car? Will it get annoyed at the constant back-seat driving it'll no doubt face? It seems we might find out sooner than many of us expected.

Source: Googleblog [http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-self-driving-car-logs-more-miles-on.html]

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Screw all those military ideas.

Google is going to become Skynet people.
Just watch.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
It mustn't have been using Google Maps then!
loooooooool so true. I think in Cali theres some sort of legislation in process or just passed about driverless vehicles. I can't find it for the life of me >.<

EDIT: found it!
http://www.pcworld.com/article/258708/driverless_cars_move_closer_in_california.html
and the text for the bill
http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_1298&sess=CUR&house=B

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Bullshit. I'm not believing in any self-driving car until it starts complaining and calling me "Michael". In short, make it pass a Turing Test FIRST, then we'll talk.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Ready to trust it more then my driving for any trip longer then 1 hour, for any road vehicle I am in make me drowsy after a while, so I cannot drive for any extended time period and I don't like driving anyway.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I sooner trust a computer to give me a lift than most people I know. Also I think we all want to know, can the google car beat the stig?

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
This coupled with the nostalgia critic's Total Recall video. All I can think of now is those Johnny Cabs.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I can't wait to be able to read while "driving".

tmande2nd said:
Screw all those military ideas.

Google is going to become Skynet people.
Just watch.
FTFY

TheKaduflyerSystem

Feb 15, 2011
This I would be a great leap forward.
But... would the laws be modified, laws concerning minors, or people without licences?

Captcha: Whoa there
What? It's not that touchy is it?

Apr 5, 2008
I didn't even know they were working on such a thing. This is fascinating, cutting edge stuff. I'll be sure to look for more info once time allows, very interested to learn about further developments.

Her's an interesting talking point however, that was posed by Jeremy Clarkson in an episode of Top Gear, when talking about the subject of cars that drive themselves. Not word for word.

It is statistically proven that the greatest cause of the majority (ie. greater than half) of aeroplane accidents is due to pilot error.
It's also (and has been for some time) well known that it is technologically possible for a plane to take off, fly and land itself perfectly without any human intervention.
Therefore we know for fact that a plane which flew itself would be safer than a plane with a human pilot.
But knowing this, who would be willing to fly on a plane without a human pilot?

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
antipunt said:
OMG so fast travel is now possible >_>
Fast isn't the word I would use; long travel is more like it. Plug in a 10 hour cross-country drive and just chill with the in - car TV or xbox.