Zynga Tries to Avert Potential "Mass Exodus" of Workers

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Zynga Tries to Avert Potential "Mass Exodus" of Workers

Zynga is offering a one-shot financial incentive to keep almost 3,000 workers from walking out.

Zynga's ship is barely staying afloat in a sea of poor earnings as it gets chosen to leave the company [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118884-EA-Sues-Zynga-for-Copying-The-Sims-Social]. Employees at Zynga are certainly feeling the pressure now, and may also be contemplating looking for more stable employment elsewhere. In a bid to stop the company's workers from leaving overnight, Zynga has offered stock options to all its full-time staff.

The change came shortly after the lacklustre earnings report on July 25th that sent the company's share price tumbling to lows of $3 per share [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118723-Zynga-Share-Price-Crashes] - a fall of approximately 70% compared to its initial opening price. Normally, Zynga would award company stock options and cash bonuses to its workers each quarter. In light of its dire situation, however, the decision was made to give stock options to approximately 3,000 workers that are still on Zynga's payroll.

Arvind Bhatia, an analyst for investment banking firm Sterne Agee & Leach Inc., has given the temporary reward scheme a nod of approval. "It's a proactive move to prevent mass exodus," he said. "It's positive for morale and I think it's the fair thing to do."

There are still doubts as to whether the options will have any substantial value for the workers. Several employees who joined before the company went public were paid in "restricted stock units", which prevented them from being cashed in until certain conditions are met. As a result, the shares were at the mercy of the market, unable to be touched as their value declined. The lock-up period on 150 million shares will expire on August 16 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118838-Zynga-Staff-Prepare-to-Sell-Diminishing-Shares], which will most likely trigger a mass sale as workers attempt to cash in their stock before everyone else.

Source: Bloomberg [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-09/zynga-is-said-to-grant-stock-awards-to-staff-after-earnings-miss.html]

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
That's rich! So as an incentive to stay there they are going to offer them a plummeting stock? I guess they ran out of soup labels.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
One thing after another, eh Zynga? Just admit it...... You're screwed. Though I would much prefer to see something financially bad happen to the big boys who abandoned ship, leaving their employees to founder.

I really don't think that plummeting stock options are that great of an incentive to stay on the sinking ship that is Zynga.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Offering stock in a company that's on it's way to bankruptcy? You might need a better incentive...

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Wow. Not only offering crippled stock as mentioned above, but offering stock to people whose problems were caused partly by watching their bosses unload stock BEFORE the drop while they were forbidden to.

That's like someone kicking you in the nuts and then offering you the shoes he used as an apology. And the shoes are old and smelly.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Darkmantle said:
Offering stock in a company that's on it's way to bankruptcy? You might need a better incentive...
On it's way to bankruptcy may be a bit of a stretch even at the moment. The stock plummeted, but that has no actual effect on operations unless they needed to raise money with a stock issue. I agree that bankruptcy or a buyout will likely be the inevitable conclusion to all of this, but at the moment they do have enough cash and cash equivalents to pay off all of their debt and then some so it's not totally dismal for them.

The fact that their losses are growing year over year should be a big concern for anyone working there though.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I hope every single employee offered stock immediately left without another word.
Nothing about this seems like "incentive" to stay.
"Here, have our shitty stock that will be even more worthless by the time you can sell it. Please stay? We're lonely and everyone hates us. We just want some friends...Don't go..."

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Zynga's problem is their business model compared to their size. 100 employees or less can work well with 30 million / year in revenue. 3000 employees with 300 million in revenue is a different monster entirely. I would be surprised if they go up for sale but based on the way their games work, I don't know if they could downsize.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I can imagine this happened:

A couple employees: *Leaving Zynga headquarters.*

Zynga CEO: WAIT! If you don't leave, we will give you STOCK OPTIONS! :D

All employees: *Start screaming and running to the exits*

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Good. The faster the market is rid of Zynga, the better.
Pity that those scumbags got as big as they did in the first place.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Words alone cannot express the glee I am feeling when reading all these articles about the downfall of Zynga, if only the top management get to pay for their crimes to innovation. Also I hope that all the employees who knew they were ripping off other games cant find jobs. HAHA. Karmic justice.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
Boudica said:
Very sad how many people are glad to see a company under hard times.

Actually enjoying and laughing at the poor situation of others? No matter what someone or a group has done or been accused of, to enjoy their suffering is nauseating.

Only monkeys throw feces ;P
I thought the same as you, once. I felt that everybody had some redeeming qualities.

Then reality struck, and it turns out some people are just giant douchenozzles.

In this case, Zynga was the schoolyard bully to the indie developers who couldn't afford the legal fees to take Zynga to court over infringement. Then EA gets involved, the Chief officers sell their stock before the news gets out that someone has called their bluff, and are now basically bribing their employees to stay at a company which has shown no scruples as far as respect for the work of others.

EA is the notorious Gorgon of studios full of greedy shits, but at least they BOUGHT the IPs they ran into the ground. That Zynga managed to be worse is mind-boggling.