Manufacturing Issues Could Cause Wii U Delay

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Manufacturing Issues Could Cause Wii U Delay

Problems making the GamePad controller might lead to a late European Wii U launch.

Despite offering a 2012 window for the Wii U, Nintendo still hasn't given a release date for any region. Many have speculated that the console would launch worldwide in November, just in time for the busy holiday season. However, industry sources are reporting that the publisher is having manufacturing issues, which could cause delays launching the system. According to the sources, the Wii U is expected to slip to a December release in Europe, though other regions may not be affected.

The key problem appears to be the ambitious GamePad controller, which is one of the console's major selling points. This could be the reason Nintendo hasn't announced the Wii U launch date, despite the holiday season creeping ever closer. However, gamers in North America are still expected to see the system on store shelves before Thanksgiving. That should make the Black Friday rush even more challenging for those looking to be among the first to get their hands on Nintendo's newest console.

This isn't the first time a console was released later in Europe than other regions. Though the Wii launched in November of 2006 in North America, European gamers didn't get it until a few weeks later on December 8. In 2006, Nintendo didn't announce the launch information for the Wii until September, so it's entirely possible not having a Wii U release date isn't indicative of a larger problem. We'll know more when Nintendo finally makes its Wii U launch dates public, which, if history is any indication, could be within the next few weeks.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/362352/wii-u-release-date-delayed-to-december-across-europe-sources/]

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Son of a *****... Ah well, gives me longer to gather the funds to buy this badboy. Plus I guess a month or two won't be too bad of a wait considering what we'll be getting.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Could be a problem for them if they don't get it out before Xmas. Doesn't really bother me though. I'm not really interested until a Zelda game appears.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I bet the eight people in Europe excited to buy the Wii U at launch are terribly upset by this news.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Is anyone really going to be disheartened by a lack of Wii U?
Anyone at all?

Captcha: what. ever.
Oh captcha you so silly. Sounds about right

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
CriticKitten said:
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
In 2006, Nintendo didn't announce the launch information for the Wii until September, so it's entirely possible not having a Wii U release date isn't indicative of a larger problem.
More likely it's Nintendo trying to conceal the price and release date from their competitors until the last minute so that they can reduce the possibility of Microsoft and Sony making another cut to their console prices on the same day in an effort to undercut the new kid on the block.
This. But to be real that's a stupid move on Nintendo's part as Sony and MS can announce a price cut that takes effect DURING the holiday season. Nintendo can't win that fight, that's the risk of putting out your console 1-2 years before the competition.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
This thread is sending my snark-o-meter readings through the roof.

Seriously you guys? The successor to the console that sold out on launch, then repeatedly sold out for months and months afterwards, and you think no-one gives a fuck? The general public is not as jaded as your average hardcore gaming forum.

Anyways, sucks for us Europeans I guess. Hope we still get to play Pikmin 3 and Project P100 before the year is out.
Yeah the Wii sold out for months and months after. But then sales came to a snails pace. The hype train died buddy. The Wii hasn't sold well in at least 2 years. And to be fair A LOT of people don't care about the Wii U.

Where's the hype that the Wii had? It's not here this time. Pikmin 3 isn't going to sell consoles, it was a niche game series to begin with. Its been close to 10 years now with no Pikmin releases, I highly doubt that many people are at the edge of their seats waiting for Pikmin 3 anymore. You'll have the loud cult follower just like we do with Beyond Good and Evil as well as Fear Effect but Pikmin is no killer app. And to be honest Project P100 was swept under the rug by Nintendo themselves right off the bat, so I don't have high hopes for that game either.

The Wii-U won't sell out like the Wii did. The fact that no one seems to care about it 3 months before its supposed release speaks volumes.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Ghonzor said:
Is anyone really going to be disheartened by a lack of Wii U?
Anyone at all?

Captcha: what. ever.
Oh captcha you so silly. Sounds about right
I would. But thank goodness this would only affect Europe if it affects anyone at all.

AzrealMaximillion said:
Where's the hype that the Wii had? It's not here this time. Pikmin 3 isn't going to sell consoles, it was a niche game series to begin with. Its been close to 10 years now with no Pikmin releases, I highly doubt that many people are at the edge of their seats waiting for Pikmin 3 anymore. You'll have the loud cult follower just like we do with Beyond Good and Evil as well as Fear Effect but Pikmin is no killer app. And to be honest Project P100 was swept under the rug by Nintendo themselves right off the bat, so I don't have high hopes for that game either.
That's funny, because when I went to the WiiU Experience in Washington DC two weeks ago, not only were Pikmin 3 and Project P-1000 Crowded beyond belief, but every game station (Except for Batman Arkham City) was crowded. I think your under-estimating Nintendo Games just a tad bit.

I will agree, it probably won't sell like the Wii Did. But to say that there is absolutely no interest in it is completely absurd. There may not be a lot of interest here, but go look elsewhere and I am sure you'll find someplace full of excitement.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
That's funny, because when I went to the WiiU Experience in Washington DC two weeks ago, not only were Pikmin 3 and Project P-1000 Crowded beyond belief, but every game station (Except for Batman Arkham City) was crowded. I think your under-estimating Nintendo Games just a tad bit.

I will agree, it probably won't sell like the Wii Did. But to say that there is absolutely no interest in it is completely absurd. There may not be a lot of interest here, but go look elsewhere and I am sure you'll find someplace full of excitement.
So you think that by going to a Nintendo oriented event and seeing people demo the Wii U games you think that proves that there's large scale excitement for the Wii U? The Nintendo fans are going to go to the Nintendo events. Those are people that are already going to buy the Wii U most likely. No new customers there.

Back when the Wii was announced people were already hyped beyond belief about it. The internet was ablaze and the mainstream news channels were actually reporting on the possibilities of the Wii's motion control. Now the Wii-U has a giant "meh" painted on it in terms of buzz. Hell, when CNN reported on it at E3, they thought it was just a new controller. That represent a huge decline in interest if you ask me. I'm not underestimating Nintendo game at all. They came first this gen. But everyone seems to forget that for two generations in a row before that Nintendo took a beating in the hardware sales department. Its not like Nintendo constantly had the markets eating up whatever they threw out, that's a very recent phenomena.

Granted I honestly don't think the next Sony or MS console will sell that well either, I just think that because Nintendo sold the most consoles for the first time in over 20 years their fans are being really overly optimistic about the Wii-U. Hell after the thing was announced Nintendo's stock took a massive dip 2 days later due to the lukewarm reception of what seems to be another gimmick based console.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
A late european launch to something made by Nintendo?

Oh no.

I am shocked.

The expression on my face is one that can be described as astonished at the news which I assure you caused my surprised nature.

In all seriousness, AGAIN Nintendo? Seriously? What is it with you and European release dates? We had to wait ages for Mario Galaxy 2, ages for Kirby's epic yarn and when you come to the party with an entertainment system not everyone is sold on, preventing a lot of people from playing it is not a good way of selling us on it.

Calumon: ...how many batteries is that thing gonna use? :S

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
A possible delay on the release of WiiU? I can't really say this is heartbreaking. I do plan to get one, but I'll be waiting for some interesting game before I purchase one anyway.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
After having sold nearly twice what the 360 or the PS3 managed to achieve. If the hype train for the Wii died, what shall we say for either of those consoles?
That the Wii sold an extreme amount really quickly before its sales died. As for the other 2 consoles, they sold steadily and started slowing down about a year and a half ago. The Wii's sales stopped much harder and have done so since 2010.

Consoles in general haven't been doing so hot over the last couple of years. This isn't a Nntendo-only problem. Console sales are down all across the board.
Even so, my point is not that the other two consoles' sales are great. My point is that the Wii lost a LOT of traction rapidly. The sales do reflect that. Last year MS announced that over 50 million 360s have sold. This year we know that they've sold over 67 million. The Wii at the same time last year was at 86 million units sold. This year 96 million sold. MS sold almost twice as many units within the same time frame. Nintendo's sales seem to be the biggest victim of slumping console sales

To be fair, a lot of people didn't care for the Wii. In fact, a lot of people hated the Wii before it ever came out. Still sold like hotcakes laced with crack.
Like I mentioned before mainstream news constantly reporting on the Wii. People everywhere went crazy. The hype drowned out the hate pretty hard. Like you said, the Wii sold out when it came out. What you seem to disregard is the fact that the motion controls drew people in, and the fact that the Wii was the cheapest console on the market. The Wii U doesn't have those advantages in a hurting way.

The fact that the hardcore gaming base doesn't care about it only shows that the hardcore gaming base is simply going to continue moaning about Nintendo. It doesn't matter that the Wii U has Pikmin 3, ZombiU and P-100 coming out doesn't matter. Apparently it's another casual console for the casual audience.

And here's the thing: the reason there's no hype amongs the casual audience is because if there were, they wouldn't be casual anymore, they'd be hardcore. Casual gamers are not the type to look up game trailers on Youtube and to blog about how excited they are online. They're the kind of gamers who see something cool, and buy it. The Wii U has just as much going for it in that regard as the Wii did, so there's no reason why it shouldn't sell.

Honestly, using a lack of hardcore-behaviour among a non-hardcore demographic doesn't really say much. People weren't hyped about Angry Birds before it was released. Still sold more than any other game in history.
The thing is that there's no excitement coming from either the core or the non core demographics. It seems to be the hardcore Nintendo fans who are clamoring for the Wii U, but the noise seems to be dangerously quiet. The core gamers are going away from ALL consoles and the casual gamers aren't great repeat customers. Look at Zynga.

The Wii U will sell only to longtime Nintendo fans who still like the company. And even then, a lot of longtime Nintendo fans have stopped blindly supporting Nintendo(with their wallets and their voices) and can hardly be blamed for doing so.