The Escapist Expo's Official Magic: The Gathering Schedule

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
The Escapist Expo's Official Magic: The Gathering Schedule

As we've already announced, The Escapist is going to have a pretty big Magic: The Gathering presence at this year's Expo in Durham, NC September 14-16. Working alongside our organizing partners, Expo's event registration is officially live [http://atomicempire.com], we're ready to go into what we have planned with a bit more detail. Here's our schedule in full for the entire Expo weekend!

Feature Event: Gamers Helping Gamers Charity Benefit Tournament (Standard)
Saturday, September 15th, 10:00 A.M.
$25 entry fee.
Pre-Register here [http://www.escapistexpo.com/event/tournament/mtg-charity]. Players who pre-register by 8/23 will receive an exclusive playmat!
On-Site registration will be available until 11 P.M. Friday night, and will reopen at 8:00 A.M. Saturday morning.

The tournament will consist of multiple swiss rounds based on attendance, followed by a single-elimination cut to the top 8.

First place will take home a Mox Sapphire (a $600 value). Prizes will be provided by Atomic Empire and other sponsors and will include custom artwork by card alterists.

Sealed Tournaments
Friday, Sept. 14th, 7:30 P.M. - Magic 2013
Saturday, Sept. 15th, 2:30 P.M. - Innistrad Block
$25 entry fee.

On-Site Registration opens one hour before start and closes 15 minutes before start.
Each player will receive 6 boosters to build a 40-card deck.
Four swiss rounds, prizes paid out based on record.

Two-Headed Giant Sealed
Sunday, Sept. 16th, 11:00 A.M.
$40 entry fee per team ($20 per player)
On-site registration will be open 1:00 P.M.- 11:00 P.M. Friday and 12:00 P.M.-10:00 P.M. Saturday.
Each team will receive eight Avacyn Restored boosters to build two 40-card decks.
Four swiss rounds, prizes paid out based on record.

Weekend-Long Events:

Learn To Play Magic
Come by our booth in the Junior Ballroom at any time for a free starter deck and tutorial game!

Continuously Firing Events

Weekend-long events have no specific start time. Registration for these events is continuously open and each event will start once the appropriate number of players has registered (subject to space and judge availability). Draft pods will use Magic 2013, Innistrad/Dark Ascension, or Avacyn Restored by player choice and availability. Prizes will be issued from the sets drafted.

Friday, Sept. 14th, 1:00 P.M. through Saturday, Sept. 15th, 9:00 P.M.
Sunday, Sept. 16th, 10:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.

Prizes

Booster Drafts: 1st: 5 boosters, 2nd: 3 boosters, 3rd & 4th: 2 boosters each.
Standard, Block, Modern, Extended: 1st: 1 sealed box (36 boosters)
Legacy or Vintage: 1st: 1 sealed box (36 boosters)
Commander - Constructed: 1st: 6 boosters

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'd love to do this but I can't for two reasons:

1. I haven't played Magic in years and will lose
2. I'm not going to make my girlfriend sit there and watch me play Magic for several hours >.>

Now, if you guys host a BlazBlue tournament count me in.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
The prices for the Continuously Firing Events aren't listed. Might be worth it to add them in. I'm looking forward to all the Magic though. I'm hoping to play in all the sealed events and play some of the drafts. Likely some Innistrad/Dark Ascension and AVR (I have a lot of M13 as it is and need a break). Any reason that you aren't offering a straight-up Innistrad Block draft though?

Kapol

May 2, 2010
Fappy said:

2. I'm not going to make my girlfriend sit there and watch me play Magic for several hours >.>

Well it sounds like you could try taking your girlfriend to the 'learn to play' and see if you can get her into it (or asking if she'd like to try it I should say, tricking her might be a bad idea :p). If you do and you both enjoy it, then you can get her to play with you. If not, then no harm no foul. *shrug*

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Kapol said:
Fappy said:

Well it sounds like you could try taking your girlfriend to the 'learn to play' and see if you can get her into it (or asking if she'd like to try it I should say, tricking her might be a bad idea :p). If you do and you both enjoy it, then you can get her to play with you. If not, then no harm no foul. *shrug*
I don't want the temptation to drop tons of money on Magic again. I have too many hobbies already!

Kapol

May 2, 2010
Fappy said:
Kapol said:
Fappy said:

I don't want the temptation to drop tons of money on Magic again. I have too many hobbies already!
Doooo eeeetttt.... one of us.... one of us....

Honestly, I know that feeling. But I'd still recommend giving draft and/or sealed a try if you've never done them before and can get away with it. Then it'll just be down to trying to stop before you get too much into it, which as long as you don't go overboard shouldn't be too hard.

I do have another question though. Would it be possible to use the packs we win if we win any to help 'pay for' our next draft? I doubt it due to various concerns and logistical problems (figuring out how much to charge if someone only has 2 packs, people buying packs to bring in and use, people trying to reseal them to cheat unlikely as that is). But it might help people play more if you can figure out a way to do it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Kapol said:
Fappy said:
Kapol said:
Fappy said:

Doooo eeeetttt.... one of us.... one of us....

Honestly, I know that feeling. But I'd still recommend giving draft and/or sealed a try if you've never done them before and can get away with it. Then it'll just be down to trying to stop before you get too much into it, which as long as you don't go overboard shouldn't be too hard.

I do have another question though. Would it be possible to use the packs we win if we win any to help 'pay for' our next draft? I doubt it due to various concerns and logistical problems (figuring out how much to charge if someone only has 2 packs, people buying packs to bring in and use, people trying to reseal them to cheat unlikely as that is). But it might help people play more if you can figure out a way to do it.
I used to sealed drafts like every week in High School... don't tempt me foul demon! D:

Kapol

May 2, 2010
Fappy said:
I used to sealed drafts like every week in High School... don't tempt me foul demon! D:
I'm not foul. Just misunderstood. :( And I'm just trying to get more people to play draft with me. By any means neccessary...

Also, point of clarification, there's a difference between 'sealed' and 'draft.' It's a mistake I used to make as well. Sealed is when you get 6 packs, open them, and build a deck. Draft is the one where you open a pack, take one card, pass it on. Unless you mean you did both.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Kapol said:
Fappy said:
I'm not foul. Just misunderstood. :( And I'm just trying to get more people to play draft with me. By any means neccessary...

Also, point of clarification, there's a difference between 'sealed' and 'draft.' It's a mistake I used to make as well. Sealed is when you get 6 packs, open them, and build a deck. Draft is the one where you open a pack, take one card, pass it on. Unless you mean you did both.
I did the passy one then. So many fun times... :p

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Kapol said:
The prices for the Continuously Firing Events aren't listed. Might be worth it to add them in. I'm looking forward to all the Magic though. I'm hoping to play in all the sealed events and play some of the drafts. Likely some Innistrad/Dark Ascension and AVR (I have a lot of M13 as it is and need a break). Any reason that you aren't offering a straight-up Innistrad Block draft though?
Currently, the expected pricing for the continuously firing events goes like so:

8-player Draft - $15
8-player Constructed (win-a-box) - $15
4-player EDH/Commander - $5

As for the sets being drafted, I suspect that if there is sufficient demand for an Innistrad block draft, it will happen. I think it's not listed simply because AVR was a standalone set. Get 8 people together for it, and I'm sure we'll be able to run it! :)

Kapol

May 2, 2010
Fappy said:
I did the passy one then. So many fun times... :p
Yea, I prefer draft myself. Sealed is nice, but less... interactive? It's more entertaining to be able to hate-draft... er... I mean play in a way that involves all 8 players. :p I'm really looking forward to it because I only get to draft once every 2 months or so. :(

Encaen said:
Currently, the expected pricing for the continuously firing events goes like so:

8-player Draft - $15
8-player Constructed (win-a-box) - $15
4-player EDH/Commander - $5

As for the sets being drafted, I suspect that if there is sufficient demand for an Innistrad block draft, it will happen. I think it's not listed simply because AVR was a standalone set. Get 8 people together for it, and I'm sure we'll be able to run it! :)
I thought those were the prices (I think you told me them in the ask thread). My main point was just so others knew what they are and can plan for them. as for Innistrad block draft, I'll try to get people to do it. See my attempts to convince Fappy to draft. :) I like Avacyn Restored a lot (it's actually my first set since I only started recently), but only AVR seems a bit dull for a draft.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I haven't played Magic in years and I'm so gonna take advantage of the learn to play Magic thing.

I miss it so much, and if only I knew more people in my area that plays. >.>

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Wait a minute, there's prizes for Eternal format games, but no Eternal games scheduled? I'm confused.

Kapol

May 2, 2010
SL33TBL1ND said:
Wait a minute, there's prizes for Eternal format games, but no Eternal games scheduled? I'm confused.
They're in the 'continuously firing events' category. No big tourny or anything for them, but they'll be there.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Kapol said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
They're in the 'continuously firing events' category. No big tourny or anything for them, but they'll be there.
Ah, I see. Wish I was going now.