Catwoman Steals the Scene in Injustice: Gods Among Us

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Catwoman Steals the Scene in Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us goes bat-crazy, as NetherRealm adds another fan favorite.

It's an argument that has rattled cages since the dawn of time: who would win in a fight, Catwoman or Superman? Now you'll get to find out, in NetherRealm's Injustice: Gods Among Us [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117573-Injustice-Gods-Among-Us-Shows-the-Brutal-Side-of-Superheroes]; the developer has confirmed that Catwoman will join the roster in its latest fighting game. It's beginning to look like a bat-heavy roster, to be frank; in addition to Batman, Nightwing and Catwoman, two other playable fighters out of the nine confirmed are from the Batman storyline. Neither of them are the Joker either, which may or may not mean there's another Bat-related playable character reveal in the works. Surely the Flash has at least one memorable villain that could be shoehorned in?

The fighters divide themselves up into categories like Speed, Power and Gadget; presumably Catwoman, with her claws and whip, fits into the Gadget category. I can't say I remember her using a rocket launcher in the comics, though I admit it's been a long time since I read them. The plot line's a little vague; according to NetherRealm it can be summed up as "what if our greatest heroes ... became our greatest threat?" [Biff! Pow! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r94AJzJZZaU&feature=player_detailpage]]

The game does feature breakable environments, so in theory that cinematic-looking moment when Batman got defenestrated may actually be gameplay. You'll be fighting in locations like the Batcave and the Fortress of Solitude, so there'll be plenty of odd bits of scenery to chew or fling at your opponent. Incidentally if you were wondering why Catwoman's outfit looks the way it does, that's because this fighting game is basing its visual style on the 'new 52' reboot; everyone's outfit will be updated for the 2011 retcon.

The game's scheduled for a 2013 release, for the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/14/catwoman-claws-her-way-into-injustice-gods-among-us/]

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Karloff said:
Surely the Flash has at least one memorable villain that could be shoehorned in?
No, not so much. About the best villain you're going to pull from The Flash's rogues gallery is Gorilla Grodd or Mirror Master.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
As long as you get to play as Darkseid it will be fun.

However if the game is just Batman the Fighting game: and his friends I will not be that happy.
The DC has some cool people in it so I dont see why they cant have a HUGE roster.

Also where the hell is the Green Lantern?

Aug 25, 2009
Okay, call me crazy, but you know that clip of the old tv show? I don't think the Riddler was thrown into the water, I think he may have jumped in deliberately.

But as for this game, it looks reasonably interesting, but I don't like fighting games and I never have. They always feel like slightly dolled up reskins to me. There's only so many moves that can ever be put into a fighting game (x number of kicks, x number of punchs, a couple of specials that all really boil down to 'hurts from a distance and takes a while to build up') so eventually controlling Catwoman doesn't feel that much different from controlling Chun Li.

When it comes to fighting games I kind of agree with Yahtzee, it's like taking one aspect of a complete game and building an entire experience around it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The problem is that Marvel "won" the comic book wars. They have so many iconic heroes, each with their own pantry of iconic villians. Really these days the only DC heroes that anyone cars about are Batman and Superman. This is likely due to the new Batman trilogy, but no one really cares about Green Lantern or The Flash (even though a comic-nerd friend of mine swears that The Flash is actually the most powerful super hero ever considering he can run so fast that he can run right through you, ripping out your heart in the process).

Now I will say that Batman has a monopoly on the best/most recognizeable villians, even when compared to Marvel, but that's just further excuse for them to pack this game with Batman characters.

But this is why MvC can have such a massive roster compared to this game. Leaving out the fact that half the roster comes from Capcom games, the Marvel side of the board has characters that everyone can recognize, even if you've never read a Marvel comic in your life. Throw in a Green Lantern villian into this game, and it's likely anyone who hasn't read the DC comics will be like "Who the fuck is this guy?"

MelasZepheos said:
When it comes to fighting games I kind of agree with Yahtzee, it's like taking one aspect of a complete game and building an entire experience around it.
The problem is that the age of the Fighting Game has come and gone along with the days of the videogame arcade (at least it's been YEARS since I've seen one in a mall). People used to have tournaments and such at home or at the arcade, but now that everything's online, you have to be a REAL fan of the genre to be at all interested in it anymore. The fact that playing online means you also have to deal with lag certainly doesn't help the situation. I've played two fighting games online in the current generation: Soul Calibur 4 which was filled with players who picked their favorite character who had a simple move that they could chain over and over that was damn near impossible to get out of, and MvC3 which is only played by people obsessed with the series that are capable of crushing your face in before you realize which side of the screen you're on. So in my experience, the only people still playing fighting games are either cheap douchebags or over-zealous obsessives...not really the environment for bringing in people that don't regularly play in the genre.

Oct 30, 2010
Not that more evidence was needed to make Arkham City's unzipped costume look silly, but here we go.
Despite being quite bad at them, I still love fighting games, so another with characters I'm interested in [other mediums] is especially promising.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Xanthious said:
Karloff said:
Surely the Flash has at least one memorable villain that could be shoehorned in?
No, not so much. About the best villain you're going to pull from The Flash's rogues gallery is Gorilla Grodd or Mirror Master.
Gorilla Grodd would be pretty cool...even if he was made into some kind of optional mini-boss or something similar. Did Dr. Light make it into the New 52 and if so wasn't he also a Flash foe? Or a Wally West foe?

---

Love the new footage and can't wait to see who else made the cut! I just really hope Slade is modeled after one of the covers from 1 - 7, before Liefeld came in and ruined everything. I also hope Lobo also makes the cut...and Grundy...and Jaime Reyes. I just want more, if it wasn't abundantly clear.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Kumagawa Misogi said:
You would think that the DC Animated Universe that aired for 14 years would help but looking back on it, most of the non Batman/Superman villians were unnamed onscreen that it doesn't help with general recognition especially with so many different character designs for the same villian depending on the particular medium.
And that's what I'm tallking about. I've no doubt that if I asked "Name me 10 DC villians that have nothing to do with Batman or Superman" someone on this site would easily be able to do that...though the general population, I'd wager, would not be able to do it.

Personally I think it comes down to favoritism. Other than arguably Superman, Batman is the universally accepted favorite hero of the DC universe, which is why there is always so much focus on him. Marvel, however, does not have a clear and established "favorite". Some people say Wolverine's the best, some say Spiderman's the best, some say Iron Man's the best, some say Captain America is the best, etc. The popular opinion is extremely varied in the Marvel universe, where as in the DC universe it's extremely focused.

Apr 17, 2009
RJ 17 said:
But this is why MvC can have such a massive roster compared to this game. Leaving out the fact that half the roster comes from Capcom games, the Marvel side of the board has characters that everyone can recognize, even if you've never read a Marvel comic in your life. Throw in a Green Lantern villian into this game, and it's likely anyone who hasn't read the DC comics will be like "Who the fuck is this guy?"
Well to be fair, I think if you threw, say, Batroc the Leaper into a Marvel game people would go "...the hell?"

MikePeck

Nov 20, 2009
Pallindromemordnillap said:
RJ 17 said:
Well to be fair, I think if you threw, say, Batroc the Leaper into a Marvel game people would go "...the hell?"
While Marvel does have plenty of oddball characters (think 'B' list or 'C' list), they have enough variety that you can still recognize major antagonists for a variety of heroes. Fantastic Four? Doctor Doom. Captain America? Red Skull. Daredevil? Bullseye. X-men, Spider-man, Hulk? Yeah, you got this.

On the other hand, DC's 'all the other reindeer' heroes are so overshadowed by Supes/Batsy that their villians just don't get the time of day (unless you watch "the brave and the bold. Damn that was a good show) and many are recognizable aren't the most interesting. Green Lantern? He's got Sinestro, the yellow clone...Flash has Grodd...Who exactly does wonder woman fight (rhetorical question)...Aquawho? Yeah, DC can often be described as "Batman and friends." Which is why he tends to dominate any sort of material. DC really needs to get on diversification if they want to get anywhere near what Marvel is doing with its material right now.

Now if I had my dithers, I'd wanna see the whole Titans cast in there. Come on, Beast Boy alone would make for a nifty fighting game character (which animal do I combo into next?).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Pallindromemordnillap said:
RJ 17 said:
:p I'm not saying Marvel doesn't have it's fair-share of "who the fuck is this guy?" characters, just that it has a LOT more recognizable characters than DC.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
You see that thing in Catwoman's costume Mr Nolan? It's called a cleavage and most women have them!
I find the psudo orgasms in the fights patronising, i don't need to be told she is hot. I know it already!

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Looking forward to this game!

To the people asking about a Flash villian, in the annoucement video for this game we see flash being attacked by icicles all slowmo, Captain cold perhaps..

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:
You would think that the DC Animated Universe that aired for 14 years would help but looking back on it, most of the non Batman/Superman villians were unnamed onscreen that it doesn't help with general recognition especially with so many different character designs for the same villian depending on the particular medium.
And that's what I'm tallking about. I've no doubt that if I asked "Name me 10 DC villians that have nothing to do with Batman or Superman" someone on this site would easily be able to do that...though the general population, I'd wager, would not be able to do it.
Honestly this gets even harder when you consider all the characters that Batman or Superman have appropriated over the years.

The Floruidic Man? Yeah, he's Batman related now... what!? And Ironically probably the only Vertigo character to appear in a Batman Film, btw.

Black Adam? Gorilla Grodd, Lobo, maybe, or is he not fit for Villian or Non-Supes character? Deadshot, but he made it into Arkham City... John Constantine's lung cancer?

RJ 17 said:
Personally I think it comes down to favoritism. Other than arguably Superman, Batman is the universally accepted favorite hero of the DC universe, which is why there is always so much focus on him. Marvel, however, does not have a clear and established "favorite". Some people say Wolverine's the best, some say Spiderman's the best, some say Iron Man's the best, some say Captain America is the best, etc. The popular opinion is extremely varied in the Marvel universe, where as in the DC universe it's extremely focused.
I'm not sure if Batman and Superman are the favorite heroes of the DC universe, I do think they're the favorites of DC editorial and have been for a long time.

The problem isn't that DC lacks good characters, either, the problem is they're obsessed over rolling back the clock constantly, which keeps their characters in this kind of weird limbo. As they randomly wipe Cass Cain and Stephanie Brown out of Bat canon but keep Damien Wayne... right... ugh.