Sam Raimi Set to Direct Warcraft Movie

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sam Raimi Set to Direct Warcraft Movie

Spider-Man director Warcraft [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000600/] universe.

Raimi broke into the industry at the helm of the cult classic Drag Me to Hell [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083907/], a critically well-received return to his horror roots.

"Legendary Pictures [http://www.blizzard.com] have a shared vision for this film and we searched at length to find the very best director to bring that vision to life," said Paul Sams, chief operating officer of Blizzard Entertainment. "From our first conversation with Sam, we could tell he was the perfect choice. Sam knows how to simultaneously satisfy the enthusiasts and the mainstream audience that might be experiencing that content for the first time. We're looking forward to working with him to achieve that here."

A Warcraft film has been in the works since at least 2006 but little has been heard about the project in recent yeras. Cast and script details have not been released but according to the Internet Movie Database [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803096/], the film now has a tentative release target of 2011.

"At its core, Warcraft is a fantastic, action-packed story," Raimi said. "I am thrilled to work with such a dynamite production team to bring this project to the big screen."

Raimi's selection as director of the Warcraft film is a good one; he brings not only competence but a legitimate and essential nerd cred to the job. His presence, not to mention the participation of Blizzard which at this point seems pretty much immune to failure, means that we might just be looking at the first videogame movie in history that doesn't suck.

Side note: Anyone who's a fan of Raimi's work would do well to check out Bruce Campbell [http://www.amazon.com/If-Chins-Could-Kill-Confessions/dp/0312242646]. While ostensibly about Campbell himself, the book contains a wealth of information about Raimi, with a particular focus on the years of the Evil Dead era. It's a lot of fun and a must-read for anyone interested in what it's like in the decidedly-unglamorous trenches of the movie industry.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Well, here's hoping it's any better than "Drag Me to Hell". "Drag Me to Sleep" is a more fitting title.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Good, a director who can deliver. Drag me to hell completely restored my faith in this mans ability to keep me watching the screen.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
I'll only see this if it's based on the Warcraft games meaning 1-3 and not World Of Warcraft. I would not pay to go and see hours of grind.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Let's hope that in the middle of directing this film he does not go on his Night Elf Rouge and PvP for the next 2 tears.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
What I Want To See: "Evil Dead" director tells a grand story of heroes, magic and the undead.
What I'm Glad We Don't Get: Uwe Boll fucks up another video game series with a shitty movie.
What We'll Probably Get: Oh shit them Horde 40 levels below me be bad guys, kill them, lolz corpsecamp.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I'm only sold if I am guaranteed at least a cameo of Bruce Campbell. I do think this is a good fit for Sam Raimi though. If he can apply the same principles of combining horror and comedy to the Warcraft setting, which has always had a vein of humor running through it. It could make for an interesting and enjoyable film.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
I'm excited; I'm cautiously optimistic that this could be at least the first good video-game movie. Hitman came close, but no cigar.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Anyone who's seen Xena; warrior princess can probably imagine how this is gonna turn out.

Adam

Apr 28, 2009
Well thank fuck Uve boll isnt making this movie. At least they gave it to a competent director, instead of a guy who couldnt miss the point of game related movies if he fired in the other direction with his eyes closed.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
It's a generalized rule of show business that you simply don't give Sam Raimi a budget to work with. Never forget what happened to Spiderman. Sorry Sam, I won't forgive you for the dance number and emo haircut - simply uncalled for and unfunny.

I like Raimi better when he isn't doing blockbusters. You know, when he's actually forced to be creative. (Meaning the studio execs aren't sugar-coating his movies with bullshit.)

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I really hope they get some product placement into this film.
Person 1- "Oh no we not a high enough level to fight"
Person 2- "We need Wraith of the litch king to win"

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
ViktorValentine said:
Well thank fuck Uve boll isnt making this movie. At least they gave it to a competent director, instead of a guy who couldnt miss the point of game related movies if he fired in the other direction with his eyes closed.
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52322

"We will not sell the movie rights, not to you...especially not to you." - Blizzard

Just in case you missed that.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
I'm happy! Also remember that everything that Blizzard releases has to be quality or else they won't release it. They'll most likely review the movie to deaht before releasing it.

And if the director needs money Blizzard will probably sponsor it and most likely make the announcement and advertisement ingame.

shaltir

Jul 3, 2009
Bored Tomatoe said:
Hopefully they'll use the lore up until WC3... You know, when it made sense...
what was hard to understand about WC3? the story of thrall was in a different game so it isn't like warcraft 3 was completely out of left field.