Daredevil Film Rights Returning to Marvel Studios

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Daredevil Film Rights Returning to Marvel Studios

Fox's attempt to produce a new Daredevil motion picture fell through at the last possible moment.

In the old days, when a studio thought they could make a profitable superhero movie, it would need to license exclusive film rights from the copyright holder or comic book company that owned them. Fast forward to today, and comic book companies like Marvel now have access to movie studios of their own, and can directly support their own versions of the stories and characters. This doesn't bode well for any studio whose licenses are nearing their expiration dates, at which point they would revert back to Marvel to be produced entirely in-house. Such is the case for Fox's film rights to Daredevil, which according to Deadline slipped through the studio's grasp when Fox neglected to greenlight a pitch by director Joe Carnahan.

To prevent the rights from expiring, Fox would need to have a Daredevil movie in production by October of this year, which required the project to be greenlit this week. The Grey director Joe Carnahan was in talks to do just that, but considering that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118957-Warner-Bros-Courting-Ben-Affleck-to-Direct-Justice-League>Fox's last take on the character failed miserably, the studio was understandably reluctant to develop anything other than a guaranteed moneymaker. "I think my idea for a certain retro, red-suited, Serpico-styled superhero went up in smoke today kids," Carnahan <a href=https://twitter.com/carnojoe/status/235234710870192128>tweeted yesterday. "DD pitch was tremendous and everyone flipped for it. The clock ticked down at Fox, that's why it went tits up."

As the cinematic Marvel Universe continues to grow, it is in Marvel's best interest to regain many of their licensed film rights. Fox and Sony are unlikely to release the rights to their X-Men and Spider-Man properties anytime soon, but less popular franchises could easily make the transition to Marvel Studios, like the rights to Blade that recently expired for New Line.

While a Fox-produced Daredevil is no longer an option, perhaps Carnahan will get a chance to pitch his concept to Marvel's producers. It was his hope to adapt <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_Again_%28comics%29>Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli's Born Again, a street-level crime storyline in which the Kingpin discovers Daredevil's secret identify, into a full-fledged motion picture. Carnahan has since released video versions of his pitch on YouTube, including the one embedded below and <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92cVd9HalHs>an NC-17 version.

Sources: Deadline, <a href=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/daredevil-marvel-fox-comic-adaptation-sequel-361982>Hollywood Reporter
Image: <a href=http://marvel.com/images/gallery/issue/853/images_from_daredevil_1998_65/image/21411>Marvel

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This is awesome news! Let's hope they make the same blunder with Fantastic Four. Anyone know how long they have before they lose the rights to them as well?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks the fact that Marvel has to pray other studios give them back the rights to their own IP is absurd? I mean, I know that's how the law works, but the very fact that Marvel can't just say "Sorry guys, we won't be renewing your rights to Spider-Man" and then get their IP back after a period of time, but rather the studio that licences the IP can keep renewing the rights indefinitely as long as they make at least SOME kind of poop-fest every few years (say, like with the latest Spider-Man movie) is quite frankly just wrong.

Yes, the studios that bought the licences should be protected so Mavel can't just yank the licence out from under them in the middle of production, but the fact that Marvel can't just get their shit back and has to hope someone else fucks up or gives up makes it feel like the law is retarded...

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Now just Spider-man and the X-men and we can get some serious movie fun going!

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Jandau said:
Am I the only one who thinks the fact that Marvel has to pray other studios give them back the rights to their own IP is absurd?
Considering how far up shit creek without a paddle Marvel was financially when they sold these rights I don't think its absurd that they signed them away with such clauses to avoid shutting down. However me understanding and me liking it are two separate things.

Also hasn't Punisher fallen back under Marvel as well?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Could not care less about DD but I would love it if Fox would let the Fantastic Four go. I really want a good FF movie. Almost as much as I want a Doctor Strange movie (but we are getting a stupid Ant Man movie instead. I love you Marvel but why him damn you!?)

AlexanderPeregrine

Nov 19, 2009
toomuchnothing said:
It has and considering there are rumors that Disney requires all of Marvel's films to be PG-13 and merchandised for children, it's basically the end of the character as anything more than a cameo.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
toomuchnothing said:
Yes, yes they have. I forget who it was, but there was talk about doing another Punisher movie, not about the Punisher, but about Frank Castle and his origin. Basically dealing with his family, his loss, then losing it at the end. There was also some dealings regarding the Fantastic Four. Marvel asked for the rights to use Galactus, possibly in the next Avengers movie, but Fox turned them down.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
toomuchnothing said:
Jandau said:
Am I the only one who thinks the fact that Marvel has to pray other studios give them back the rights to their own IP is absurd?
Considering how far up shit creek without a paddle Marvel was financially when they sold these rights I don't think its absurd that they signed them away with such clauses to avoid shutting down. However me understanding and me liking it are two separate things.

My Step Dad almost bought Marvel stock in 95'... wish he had :p

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Is there anyone who cares about Daredevil? I had completely forgotten this superhero existed until I read the article.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
AlexanderPeregrine said:
toomuchnothing said:
It has and considering there are rumors that Disney requires all of Marvel's films to be PG-13 and merchandised for children, it's basically the end of the character as anything more than a cameo.
Rumors of what Disney may or may not want are irrelevant. The fact that the last 2 Punisher movies failed may have more to do with hesitation to pull the trigger on this one.

Eddy-16

Jan 3, 2011
Fappy said:
This is awesome news! Let's hope they make the same blunder with Fantastic Four. Anyone know how long they have before they lose the rights to them as well?
They have a reboot planned for 2014, but will lose the rights to it if they don't have it out by 2015

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Ranorak said:
Now just Spider-man and the X-men and we can get some serious movie fun going!
Yeah, Not going to happen. Sony is preproducing the next Amazing Spider-man right now.

Fox is filming the Wolverine as we speak and will begin production for the First Class Sequel.

Also, Spider-man still has about 100 enemies that could be potential villains, 15 of whom are recognizable and not D-List.

Also by the time Sony gets around to using the Blood Rose or Batroc the Leaper, there will be enough time that's passed and some of the already dead villains can come back into play.

Same with X-Men.

As long as they are cheaply made, less than 50 million, they will turn a profit. Even if they fail in the future, they will become so tarnished with failure that Mavel will be hesitant to use them in their combined movie universe.

So no Spider-Man or Wolverine in the Avengers movie. Just have to accept that they are not a part of the movie universe.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
If i was Fox i would make a movie like that cartoon lord of the rings movie and then sell the rights.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
The Frank Miller Born Again storyline is one of my favorite graphic novels. I'm pretty sure I am up to the double digits in reads. It would make a nice movie but it kind of picks up in the middle of DD's existence. I am not sure how that will translate to an audience that may not be familiar with the Man without fear and is used to their superhero movies having an origin phase.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Jandau said:
I mean, I know that's how the law works...

...makes it feel like the law is retarded...
I think it's a contract, not a law. This is simply the terms that the parties involved agreed to at the time the rights were sold.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Did Marvel get the ghost rider movie rights back yet? If so then it really is just spiderman and. X-men that need to fall

Edit - I forgot about the Fantastic Four

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
It should only take one look at my avatar for it to be clear that this makes me happy. DD is one of my favorite heroes. Personally, I hope that Carnahan and Marvel can work something out...

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
Did Marvel get the ghost rider movie rights back yet? If so then it really is just spiderman and. X-men that need to fall
No, there was a Ghost Rider movie earlier this year. But since it was even worse than the already pretty bad first one, it bombed in the box office. So in all likelihood Marvel will be getting the rights back to Ghost Rider as soon as possible now.