EA: "There Is No Feud With Valve"

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
EA: "There Is No Feud With Valve"

Despite appearances, EA claims there's no bad blood between it and its biggest competitor.

When EA launched its Origin digital distribution platform in June 2011, it caused quite a stir in the PC gaming crowd. Steam's frequent sales "cheapen intellectual property" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112129-EA-Confirms-No-Battlefield-3-on-Steam] that developers work hard to create. However, the atmosphere of bitter competition between the two digital giants may be exaggerated, according to EA COO Peter Moore.

"There's no feud," Moore said, speaking at Gamescom. "Remember, we're the guys who published Left 4 Dead and Portal 2. It's Valve. Gabe's a great friend of EA's. We're a great friend of his, we like to think."

Moore says that Origin's continued independence from Steam is not strictly a business decision, but representative of a difference in vision between the two companies. "They have different terms and conditions that they put on their games that don't meet what we would like to do with our gamers. They insist on being a layer between the game developer and publisher and the consumer. They take a piece of the revenue stream. And they don't allow us to go directly to the consumer to do patches and updates. So we just agree to disagree. It's not a feud. They have their terms and conditions. We do. They don't meet. So we go do what we do, and they're doing very well at doing what they do."

Valve has kept up expressed interest [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113406-Valve-Doesnt-Hate-Origin] in bringing EA's games back to Steam, saying, "We'd love to have their games on Steam. We think their customers would be happy if their games were on Steam. We tell them that on a regular basis."

EA has considered bringing their titles back to Steam, but it doesn't look likely unless Valve budges first. "We're very clear on what we want to do to be able to put a game on a platform and interact with the gamer," Moore said. "The current terms and conditions of Steam don't allow that. If they change to meet the contract with the gamer we set out to do, then of course things might change. But until then, nothing's going to change."

Moore's plans for Origin's future involve making the platform "stickier," adding more value to the users and their gaming friends. "That's our goal. We've got to make this the place you want to go to to play your games, find your friends, buy your games, interact with the games themselves. We're building community layers in there each and every month as it develops. You'll see updates all the time. It's got to enhance your gaming experience in simple terms. That's our job, to be able to do that."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-16-eas-peter-moore-insists-there-is-no-feud-with-valve]

felbot

May 11, 2011
say did they ever say what part of the terms of service they disagreed with? i really cannot remember them ever saying what it was.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
cause they know they'd lose that fight.

sides, why should Valve bend for EA, pulling they're games off steam hurt EA more then Valve, and made EA look like tools, >.> well, more so anyway

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
felbot said:
say did they ever say what part of the terms of service they disagreed with? i really cannot remember them ever saying what it was.
Apparently because Valve was getting to large a share of DLC revenue over steam.

Like apparently EA WAS NOT GETTING 100% of the money! IT WAS SO CRUEL!

Apr 28, 2008
felbot said:
Basically Steam terms were updated to say that any DLC must be on Steam in addition to anywhere else. EA wants their DLC to be on their own sites, and nowhere else.

And so... disagreement.

I kind of wish EA would put their DLC on Steam. It's a hell of a lot better than jumping through multiple sites to buy goddamn bioware points to buy goddamn DLC off their goddamn site. They could still have their shitty-ass site purchases, they would just need to put their DLC on Steam as well. But they won't, because then everyone would buy off Steam because doing that is a hell of a lot easier than going to the damn Bioware social site to find the damn DLC to get re-directed to the game's damn website to buy goddamn Bioware points to finally buy the freaking DLC.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there...

EDIT: Do you know what you have to do to download Bring Down the Sky for Mass Effect on the PC? Well to download this free DLC, you have to search for the thing, which will take a while to find. Put in your game's activation code, download it, find out you can't open it because it sends the code to a profile on a site that doesn't exist anymore, contact EA support, and have them email you a replacement code to use.

All this. To download a free DLC. You'd think they would fix this now that they have their own service, you know, put it on Origin for easy downloading. In fact, you'd think they do this with the ME2 and all the Dragon Age DLC. You know, make it easy to find and buy. But NOPE. Because... I don't even fucking know why. It has been like this for goddamn years.

With Steam, you just have to find it and buy it. It'll download and install in its own.

And they're supposed to compete with Steam. Hilarious.

Sorry, got carried away. Again. It's just... they could do their DLC so much better and make buying/installing it so much easier. They are capable of doing so much better.. But they don't and aren't. And I don't know why. And that confuses and infuriates me.

Sorry, got a bit carried away. Again.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Is it really fair to label them as "competitors"? Origin can't even touch Steam.

felbot

May 11, 2011
tmande2nd said:
felbot said:
Apparently because Valve was getting to large a share of DLC revenue over steam.

Like apparently EA WAS NOT GETTING 100% of the money! IT WAS SO CRUEL!
so they're just greedy like usual, well thanks for the answer.

felbot

May 11, 2011
Irridium said:
felbot said:
Basically Steam terms were updated to say that any DLC must be on Steam in addition to anywhere else. EA wants their DLC to be on their own sites, and nowhere else.

And so... disagreement.

I kind of wish EA would put their DLC on Steam. It's a hell of a lot better than jumping through multiple sites to buy goddamn bioware points to buy goddamn DLC off their goddamn site. They could still have their shitty-ass site purchases, they would just need to put their DLC on Steam as well. But they won't, because then everyone would buy off Steam because doing that is a hell of a lot easier than going to the damn Bioware social site to find the damn DLC to get re-directed to the game's damn website to buy goddamn Bioware points to finally buy the freaking DLC.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there...
well that sucks, and its funny since theyre saying here that they wanna interact more with the gamer, by annoying them more apparently.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Did anyone else just get a mental image of two brothers in the midst of a fight when a parent walks in, and each is now trying to totally pretend that's not what they were doing all along?

No? Just me, ah well, I'll be off giggling to myself in that corner over there, don't me.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I get the impression that this ia an episode of The Three Stooges. Valve is Moe, Bioware is Larry, and EA is Curly. Ahem...

EA: Hey, stop that! Stop that! I want my money! I want my smackers!

Valve: *Smacks EA* You've got it, brother.

Bioware: Hey, you can't do that to him!

Valve: *Bops Bioware's nose* Spread out! I'm the brains of this outfit and we'll do it the way I say!

EA: Not ME! I refuse!

*EA gets smacked*

EA: I still refuse!

*EA gets smacked again and ear-pinched*

EA: I surrender, dear! I surrender!

*Five Minutes Later*

EA: Naw, we're not fightin'.

Apr 28, 2008
Oh, one more thing.

Cognimancer said:
As Origin grew, EA continued to widen the gap by criticizing some of Steam's business practices - EA's David DeMartini has said that Steam's frequent sales "cheapen intellectual property" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117725-Origin-Boss-Says-Steam-Sales-Cheapen-Intellectual-Property] that developers work hard to create.
Dead Space and Dead Space 2 were heavily discounted at $5 each this week for Steam's "midweek madness" sale.

They were $20 each on Origin.

And they're supposed to be competing with Steam.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
"There is no feud with Valve, we're just dicks. It's what we do." That's what I heard. They're not fooling anyone with this ToS bull crap. They pulled the games because they want all the profits to themselves.

And what the hell does "It's Valve." mean? Valve aren't the ones screwing over consumers just to be possessive, or taking pot shots at competitors like a child in a playground.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Ok all I could think of when I saw the headline was "These are not the droids you are looking for" anyone else? Although is it a Jedi mind trick if done by a Sith?

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Well the anger is one-sided on EA's part.

The success is one-sided on Valve's part.

Not really a feud when one side (Valve) doesn't know they're in a fight.

Hattingston

Jan 22, 2012
You can tell there's no feud despite the feuding behavior because of the way they say there's no feud.

Anyhow, if Origin were in a position to compete with Steam, as opposed to mudslinging, then the competition would likely become much fiercer.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
No feud with Valve? Really? Then how come I got a pass code for a discount from EA on my birthday that said "Not valid for purchases of Valve games" on it?

*Those weren't the exact words, obviously. There was a short list of things it couldn't be used for, and Valve games was on that list.