Invincible Iron Man Writer to Script Iron Man 2 Game

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Invincible Iron Man Writer to Script Iron Man 2 Game

While officially announcing the inevitable Iron Man 2 movie tie-in game, Sega has let slip that comic book writer Matt Fraction (Invincible Iron Man, Uncanny X-Men) has been tapped to provide the game's story.

This should come as good news for those gamers wary of any game bearing the name of Tony Stark's metallic alter ego after the first Iron Man title. Though the original was widely praised for its gorgeous visuals, it was simultaneously derided for being a shallow cash-in.

Fraction (pictured) is currently seen as one of the comic book industry's finest writers and hopefully his gaming industry debut elevates Iron Man 2 to something more than a cynical money grab.

Additionally, Sega offers gamers hope in the form of the following statement from this morning's official press release:

The development team at Sega Studios San Francisco has also paid close attention to comments from fans and critics concerning the first Iron Man movie game. As a result of this feedback, Iron Man 2 will feature a greater focus on powerful hand-to hand combat, as well as a completely redesigned control scheme, making it more fun for gamers to feel the power and strength of Iron Man.

I think I speak for everyone when I stare silently at Sega while raising a single eyebrow curiously.

As with most games bearing the dubious distinction of being tied to a film release, the game is scheduled to hit store shelves alongside the film's May 7, 2010 debut.

(Image [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MattFractionAtMidtown11.15.08ByLuigiNovi.jpg])

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Who cares about the script, if the game graphics, performance, audio and gameplay sucks?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Though the original was widely praised for its gorgeous visuals, it was simultaneously derided for being a shallow cash-in.
Really? I never heard that!
I loved the movie! It was one of the better superhero movies, I thought.
Didn't take itself too seriously, but he still blew the shit out of everything.

Huh.

Anyways, the track record for good movie tie-in games is very very poor (At best), but you always gotta give 'em a shot.
Here's hoping we can get another Spider Man 2, or Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
As much as I love story line, the first game isn't even worth renting. Not for necessarily for the story, but the broken game play mechanics. Iron Man, futuristic suit, the movie made it look bad ass, why can't the game make you PLAY like a bad ass?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Onmi said:
Baby Tea said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Though the original was widely praised for its gorgeous visuals, it was simultaneously derided for being a shallow cash-in.
Really? I never heard that!
I loved the movie! It was one of the better superhero movies, I thought.
Didn't take itself too seriously, but he still blew the shit out of everything.
they mean the game, the movie is universally considered good.
Ooooohhhhh!
I'm a dope. I should have read that more carefully.

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
The fact that they are making an Iron Man 2 game saddens me...

The first one handled like a lubed up eel having a seizure and was no where near as fun. If they keep the same gameplay engine I advise everybody who hasn't played the first one to stay away from it and its sequel game.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
wewontdie11 said:

The first one handled like a lubed up eel having a seizure and was no where near as fun. If they keep the same gameplay engine I advise everybody who hasn't played the first one to stay away from it and its sequel game.
Would it interest you that the only thing they're keeping from the first game is the graphics? It's not simply a cheap cash-in, but is being made from the ground up.

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
Meado said:
wewontdie11 said:

Would it interest you that the only thing they're keeping from the first game is the graphics? It's not simply a cheap cash-in, but is being made from the ground up.
If they started completely from scratch, nothing at all from the first game, with Sega's A team on it and let the last team of developers that shit out on the first one nowhere near this one, then I might play the demo.

That may just sound like hyperbole but I really hated the first one that much.

Salem_Wolf

Jul 9, 2009
Oddly enough, I sort of liked the first game, sure it wasn't that amazing, but only at one mission did I completely hate it, when you have to protect Pepper from the oncoming missile barrage, that really irritated me, otherwise, it was fine to me. I must just be a real oddball.