Update: OnLive Transitions Into New Company

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Update: OnLive Transitions Into New Company

Streaming service OnLive has been sold, though exactly how many people lost their jobs remains a mystery.

Game developer Brian Fargo has just announced via Twitter that "OnLive is closed as of today." According to Fargo, he received an email from employees of the streaming service, which stated that the service would be shutting its doors later today, with all of its current employees losing their jobs.

"I wanted to send a note that by the end of the day today, OnLive as an entity will no longer exist," Fargo reiterated in a series of tweets. "Unfortunately, my job and everyone was included. A new company will be formed and the management of the company will be in contact with you about the current initiatives in place."

There's no word yet on what this new company will be, and how this will affect the recently announced partnership with Ouya [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118750-Ouya-Scores-Hundreds-of-Games-Through-OnLive]. OnLive has yet to confirm the rumors.

We'll have more updates as they become available.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/BrianFargo]

Update: In a statement, OnLive Director of Corporate Communications Brian Jaquet denied that the service was shutting down: "We don't respond to rumors, but of course not. The exciting news is that the first VIZIO Co-Stars (Google TV stream players) with the OnLive app built-in have just arrived in customer homes, and our second of three 'Indie Giveaway Weekends' is going on now. OnLive users can get a free copy of the award-winning games Space Pirates and Zombies and SpaceChem."

Jaquet did not comment on the rumor that OnLive staffers had been laid off.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/17/onlive-on-rumors-of-closure-of-course-not/]

Update 2: OnLive has responded to the flurry of rumors involving massive lay-offs, bankruptcy, and the closure of its services in an official statement. Here is that following statement in full:

We can now confirm that the assets of OnLive, Inc. have been acquired into a newly-formed company and is backed by substantial funding, and which will continue to operate the OnLive Game and Desktop services, as well as support all of OnLive's apps and devices, as well as game, productivity and enterprise partnerships. The new company is hiring a large percentage of OnLive, Inc.'s staff across all departments and plans to continue to hire substantially more people, including additional OnLive employees. All previously announced products and services, including those in the works, will continue and there is no expected interruption of any OnLive services.

While we're not commenting on additional details, the reports have been way overstated, perhaps because we were unable to respond to initial enquiries until the transaction completed. The management team is intact, the company has substantial funding and we have all our current businesses to run.

While these comments seem to offer at least some explanation as to what's going on with the service itself, it's still unclear how many employees have been terminated in the shuffle, a number that's been reported as upwards of 50% by both an Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/17/source-onlive-undergoing-acquisition-in-wake-of-dire-financials/] source.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
This quite needs a giant "RUMOR" tag - after all, the only source is Brian Fargo - someone not affiliated with OnLive - and even his source is a forwarded email.

I don't think this should be reported as solid news quite yet.

EDIT: Welp, fixed before the main page refreshed. Nevermind me, this is now a legacy post.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Huh? What? That came completely out of nowhere. Why the hell are they shutting up shop? Were they doing really bad or something? And what about people's subscriptions?

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
I was going to type something along the lines of, 'well, I thought OnLive was a bad idea.' But that's just horrific, so many people losing their jobs! What happens to the customers, and the bank of games in OnLive? How did it happen? That really just came out of nowhere!

Apr 28, 2008
So, assuming this is real, what'll happen to the people who bought games off the service? Will they get a refund, will they be able to keep and still play their games through the new company , or are they shit out of luck?

EDIT: So it's not shutting down, eh? Well that's good to hear. Still, what would happen if it did go under? Would people still be able to play their games, or would they be shit out of luck?

EDIT 2: Seems some sources are saying it's real. Who to belive... Onlive, or the various news sites...

Guess time will tell.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
joystiq: just a rumour:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/17/onlive-on-rumors-of-closure-of-course-not/

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Space Pirates and Zombies and SpaceChem
The best part of the whole thing is the improper use of italics splitting the titles of these two games (which are both awesome) in the wrong place. Now I'm kind of curious what Zombies and SpaceChem would be like...

sthanatos

Aug 8, 2008
Perhaps some fact-checking would be good before articles are posted about things like this in such a matter-of-fact tone.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
I remember the day OnLive was announced and people left and right were jizzing their pants and claiming it was the future of gaming. I never belived in it. Good to know I was right, heh.

kgagne

Feb 17, 2010
Brian Fargo isn't even an OnLive employee -- so how could they lay him off?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/brian-fargo/0/139/4a9

I suspect the story is attributing a quotation from the forwarded email to Fargo. Getting it right would make the story more believable, but it still needs to be researched.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Irridium said:
So, assuming this is real, what'll happen to the people who bought games off the service? Will they get a refund, will they be able to keep and still play their games through the new company (unlike what happened [http://www.fpsguru.com/article/1815/Gamefly-eats-Direct2Drive%2C-then-writes-off-their-customers.html] with Gamefly and Direct2Drive), or are they shit out of luck?
Just want to point out that D2D/Gamefly did eventually restore people's stuff...it just took a while.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Good. I hate the concept of Cloud Gaming. It's a wastefulness service designed to consume more bandwidth than it should. I suspect the "management" will try to milk something like their patents, but since I want the entire concept of hosting games on the "cloud" to die I bet they fail at that too. I'm sorry for the regular wage slaves. They are the real victims in this.

CortexReaver

Jul 19, 2011
Good riddance, if it is true. I dislike the whole "cloud gaming" thing, and OnLive is a terrible service in particular.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
CortexReaver said:
Good riddance, if it is true. I dislike the whole "cloud gaming" thing, and OnLive is a terrible service in particular.
I too like it when dozens of people lose their job due to their participation in a service I am uninterested in.

Not that it matters, since it ISN'T true, but boy do you sound like someone who's never worked a day in his life.

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
Sounds like I'm the only person who actually LIKES OnLive. For lunch-breaks it's pretty much our company's primary distraction - OnLive runs on practically any of our terminals, so there's no hardware issues there.

We even have one of the little OnLive consoles in the break room attached to the TV. Yes, it pales compared to my real rig, but I don't have my real rig at work, shockingly.

Would be very disappointed to see such a promising service go under, let alone the sudden unemployment of so many people (which has nothing to do with how anyone perceives the service).

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Well one of the things that helped sell Steam back in the day was the promise that even if Valve completely went under you'd still have the games installed on your hard-drive and either an official or unofficial crack of Steam client would give you access to all the games. The deal with steam is you don't really want to cut off contact and loose further stuff like timely updates, hats, etc

But if Onlive goes, you games are TOTALLY GONE!

Doesn't matter if this rumour turns out not to be true, but it raises the spectre of possibility.

Apr 28, 2008
Rednog said:
Irridium said:
So, assuming this is real, what'll happen to the people who bought games off the service? Will they get a refund, will they be able to keep and still play their games through the new company (unlike what happened [http://www.fpsguru.com/article/1815/Gamefly-eats-Direct2Drive%2C-then-writes-off-their-customers.html] with Gamefly and Direct2Drive), or are they shit out of luck?
Just want to point out that D2D/Gamefly did eventually restore people's stuff...it just took a while.
Really? Well, that's good to hear. Guess I'll yoink that part out of my post.