Analyst: Activision Price Hike is a "Test" of Consumers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Analyst: Activision Price Hike is a "Test" of Consumers

Industry analyst Michael Pachter says Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.activision.com] in the U.K. is a test to see how far it can push consumers.

Activision revealed last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93238-Higher-Game-Prices-Coming-to-the-U-K] that it will be charging £54.99 (roughly $90) for the standard edition of Modern Warfare 2 in the U.K., a substantial increase over the usual price point for major game releases. High development costs and a weak British currency were blamed for the hike but Pachter says the reality is something entirely different.

"The price increase is a business decision," he said, noting that the British pound is worth more now than it was when Call of Duty: World at War [http://www.callofduty.com/CoDWW] was released in November of last year. "Activision knows it has a 'hot' game, knows that the market will pay an additional 10 per cent, and has decided to increase price accordingly."

"My guess is that this is a one-time test for Activision, and that they will re-think the strategy after seeing if it angers consumers," he continued. "If there is no consumer backlash, I think we may see higher pricing on other games, regardless of the GBP/USD translation rate."

Despite how nefarious it all sounds, Pachter said the higher price isn't necessarily unjustified. Games today are cheaper to buy, he said, but contain increasingly advanced technology, better gameplay and improved online functionality which Activision has to pay to provide. He also pointed out that other upcoming Activision games like Band Hero, Tony Hawk Ride [http://www.djhero.com/] will be more expensive than their predecessors across all platforms.

"The repercussions [of the Modern Warfare 2 price increase] could be significant and lasting," Pachter said. "If Activision is successful, we may see increases for other 'hot' games in the future. We see tiered pricing to the downside for more casual games, so why not tiered pricing to the upside for hot games?"

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/pachter-activision-mw2-price-is-a-test]

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
So, they're being jerks?
For once in my life, I'd be OK with other people pirating the game.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Alright then, I definately won't be buying this... I don't care how good it is, a stand MUST be taken somewhere or they'll keep gouging us.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I'm American, but I still think that this is dumb. It's a situation where Activision is doing something no one wants because they can.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
This is not going to end well.

Unless I'm mistaken, his argument is basically "They're going to see how much they can leech off of them before they start noticing how much they're getting ripped off. If it turns out they actually prefer paying less as opposed to more, they'll back off, unless they object only a little."

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
This angers me greatly. If it wasn't for the prestige edition with the night vision goggles i would most definately not be buying this game

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
And 2 weeks after the release, Activision will shout:

"BOO HOO WE DIDN'T GET A PROFIT BECAUSE EVERYONE PIRATED THE GAME!! IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT!"

They should know after AoC and countless EA sport games that "testing" consumers can be a VERY bad thing.

$90 = 320 PLN

I can get an E6300 @ 2.8GHz, for God's sake! So bite my soggy ax.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
and they wonder why Used Game Sales are on the rise... maybe they should stop RIPPING PEOPLE OFF and more people would by new.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Push and piss off the loyal fans who spend billions on games

Great tactics Activision

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
This angers me greatly. If it wasn't for the prestige edition with the night vision goggles i would most definately not be buying this game
You probably still shouldn't buy it, the "night vision" goggles are just a shiny distraction to make you forget about the rip off price.

Pre-Order/Collectors Edition bonuses are the Opiate of the Gaming Masses!

Gunner_Guardian

Jul 15, 2009
It's up to you England, you must pirate the game so the rest of us can enjoy games at the same price they are at now. Stop Activision in it's track!

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Well you know, the analyst said this isn't completely unjustified. Development costs for games are increasing as we keep demanding higher quality games. It's only natural that we would have to pay more for the finished project. We can't really judge if Modern Warfare 2 is worth this price until we actually play the game.

But you know, let's ***** and moan about having to pay more instead. That's much easier.

Jonny The Kay

Dec 21, 2008
I think that might actually hurt sales by making the game do damn expensive (case and point: PS3 costing so much and being so behind in sales of the 360 and Wii).

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I thought maybe it was a test of irony: to see if any of the Sony execs come out and demand for a price cut or else they will no longer allow for activision games to be published for playstation.

Unfortunately I'm sure this will end up being very lucrative for them and just another rip off for gamers; I guess we really have proven ourselves to be the biggest suckers huh?