EA "Standing Up for the Industry" by Suing Zynga

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
EA "Standing Up for the Industry" by Suing Zynga

EA maintains that defending The Sims Social will help all game designers.

One of the recurring themes in "monster vs. monster" movies is that no matter which terrifying creature wins, humanity will lose. Whether it's EA's current lawsuit against Zynga [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370263/]. Electronic Arts states that Zynga borrowed too liberally from The Sims Social in order to create TheVille, and by taking the social gaming giant to court, EA can strike a blow for all original, serious-minded game designers.

Peter Moore, COO of EA, explains that The Sims Social came from The Sims (an earlier EA game), whereas Zynga's TheVille copied The Sims Social's concept wholesale, as well as many of its mechanics and stylistic choices. "We also feel from an industry perspective that a number of these things have happened before related to Zynga, but there's never been a company that has the wherewithal and the resources to take it to the next level," says Moore. "We do ... [We're] defending our Maxis studio, and we're standing up for the industry."

Moore minces no words as he accuses Zynga of being a rather shameless copycat. "The roots of what we do as an industry is creative, from the minds of people who sit there and build storylines and characters and mesh it all together ... You take years to do that. And when you see somebody ... take months replicating what you've done, you're upset." While Moore realizes that EA, by virtue of its size and success, has little in common with the smaller studios who have run afoul of Zynga, he still believes that EA has a responsibility to help out its fellow creative types. "[We've] seen enough of it from an industry perspective, with smaller publishers and developers who also put their hands up and said, this is not right, but I don't know what to do about it. We do."

To be fair, the matter is still very much up for debate, both in the legal world, and in the court of public opinion. Both EA and Zynga have legions of staunch defenders and bitter enemies, and the line between inspiration and outright plagiarism in entertainment media can be a notoriously slippery thing. Worth noting, though, is an EA-directed tweet from Nimblebit, You have my sword, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115475-Indy-Dev-Calls-Zynga-Out-Over-Plagiarism]" promised the indie developer.

"You have our shield," replied EA.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-20-ea-says-its-standing-up-for-the-industry-in-battle-against-zynga]

felbot

May 11, 2011
you know i wanna laugh at them but ea is the lesser evil in this case so ill let them have their little moment of grandeur, still ea supposedly being our "shield" is just ridiculous.

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
I swear, this whole thing has sort of an Operation Barbarossa feel to it.

Eh, EA is evil, but it's a classical sort of evil. I'd rather have an old, feeble company stubbornly clinging to it's old ways as it slowly decays any-day over a young, vicious newcomer with whole new ways of delivering misery.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
So, fuck them still, right guys? Because there's obviously no way they can have any sort of selfless intentions. Nope, there has to be some other explanation, because they're evuuul, and everyone knows the evuuul corpuraitons are literally Hitler, even when they're doing what we've been wanting someone to do for years.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
EA is up to its delusional shenanigans again I see. Yes EA please take up arms for the industry. God only knows you have been doing right by them this past year.

I honestly don't even care really. I'd rather EA not win, but I'm not gonna be cheering either way. As Dexter pointed out, it'd be bad if they get a precedent, which they could use to bully others, but I honestly just see this being settled out of court somewhere, or if dragged out with the fall of Zynga (what with their current legal issues with insider training).

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010

How fucking gullible do EA think we are? Protecting the industry my arse, why don't they just come out and say they want to protect their IPs? At least that would be honest.

If they genuinely feel Zynga have ripped them off then nobody's gonna begrudge EA for filing a lawsuit against them, so why make stuff up? How are we supposed to take them seriously about this if they can't even be honest about it? It's like they want bad PR.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I'm glad that someone is finally suing Zynga, but I can't help but feel that EA is a little bit too eagerly proclaiming "Look! Look! We aren't being douchebags! Everyone look, quick!" You know, you wouldn't need to make such a big PR deal out of every not douchebag thing you do, EA, were it not for the fact that in between each good deed you do 50 douchey things.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Hazy992 said:

How fucking gullible do EA think we are? Protecting the industry my arse, why don't they just come out and say they want to protect their IPs? At least that would be honest.
That's what I'm saying! I highly doubt that EA was just gnashing their teeth like a bull at the gate just dying for an excuse to show Zynga what for. Ever since they filed the law suit all I've been hearing from EA is how they're "doing it for the industry". Yeah right, EA; suddenly you care about the gaming industry after years of douchebag business practices that specifically hurt gaming.

Let's not forget about that open letter [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh3FN3YCwYk] that Extra Credits posted not even a year ago.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Hazy992 said:

That's what I'm saying! I highly doubt that EA was just gnashing their teeth like a bull at the gate just dying for an excuse to show Zynga what for. Ever since they filed the law suit all I've been hearing from EA is how they're "doing it for the industry". Yeah right, EA; suddenly you care about the gaming industry after years of douchebag business practices that specifically hurt gaming.

Let's not forget about that open letter [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh3FN3YCwYk] that Extra Credits posted not even a year ago.
Agreed. After years of dicking over consumers and developers alike do they really expect us to believe they're looking out for the industry as a whole all of a sudden? I'm not buying it for a second.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
You take years to do that. And when you see somebody ... take months replicating what you've done, you're upset.
Hahaha...oh, wait, you were being serious. Let me laugh harder. BWAHAHAHAH!!!!
This from EA? Oh, these guys are freakin' hilarious.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Because I am not the type who feels the need to post every single inane little thought that leaks out of my head for hundreds of 'friends' to see, Zynga has never once bothered me, therefore I will be rooting for them. Do they have anything outside of facebook games?

I don't usually comment on capatchas, but the Dish TV ad advertizing ad free tv is hilarious.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Hazy992 said:
Agreed. After years of dicking over consumers and developers alike do they really expect us to believe they're looking out for the industry as a whole all of a sudden? I'm not buying it for a second.
I could just picture them sitting around the meeting table, trying to figure out how the fuck they're going to put a rosy tint on their self-centered business practices, when one guy was like "Wait, Hank down at legal said something about suing Zynga; gamers HATE Zynga! More than even us, I think. We need to start milking this, guys."

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
I think it was said before, in another context: "You know you screwed up when you make EA look like the good guys.".

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Hazy992 said:
I could just picture them sitting around the meeting table, trying to figure out how the fuck they're going to put a rosy tint on their self-centered business practices, when one guy was like "Wait, Hank down at legal said something about suing Zynga; gamers HATE Zynga! More than even us, I think. We need to start milking this, guys."
I imagine this all took place at their secret volcanic lair and they all laughed maniacally and twirled their moustaches as lightning cracked in the background.

I'm getting them mixed up with cartoon supervillains again aren't I? :p

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
On the one hand, I hate Zynga more than I hate EA. On the other hand, Zynga is on the brink of destruction anyway. Even if they win, they likely won't last the year. As such, I want them to get this victory so EA doesn't, because it won't help 'em regardless. They both lose, and we the gamers win.

P.S. Thanks

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Fr said:
anc[is]Because I am not the type who feels the need to post every single inane little thought that leaks out of my head for hundreds of 'friends' to see, Zynga has never once bothered me, therefore I will be rooting for them. Do they have anything outside of facebook games?
Gamers tend to hate Zynga on pure principle. They've earned millions by doing nothing more than stealing other people's ideas and marketing them a lot more. Oh, and let's not forget that they used to use (and even admitted to using) Farmville to run scams; but it's okay, according the CEO of Zynga, because he promises never to do it again. Seriously, he openly admitted that he was scamming people [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96024-Zynga-CEO-Admits-to-Being-a-Scammer], go to that link and watch the video, he plainly says "I did every horrible thing in the book to just get revenues right away"; and then he just blew it off. Why there wasn't a mass boycott of the game after it became public that he scamming the people who play it, I'll never know.

So yeah, all of that, mixed with the average "hardcore" gamer's distaste for the casual gaming scene in general, and there's a lot of hate for them. So seriously, fuck Zynga, and I hope this runs them into the ground.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
So... if Zynga wins, then the video game industry will rapidly devolve into mass plagiarism and ripoffs.
If EA wins, then IP-based suing will increase thousands of times in the video game industry and patent trolls will reign supreme.
And if reality wins, one of these two corporations will get a little bit richer.