Prey 2 Goes Missing

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Prey 2 Goes Missing

The sequel to the 2006 Human Head shooter is no longer listed on Bethesda's website.

Prey [http://www.amazon.com/Prey-Xbox-360/dp/B000C427NM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345560516&sr=8-2&keywords=Prey] was a better game than it's often given credit for. It wasn't a revolutionary shooter, but it was solid, the adjustable gravity mechanic was pretty groovy and a couple of its set pieces were truly memorable. It was a lot of fun, and despite the not-quite-overwhelming reception it was more than deserving of the sequel that was originally confirmed more than a year ago.

Alas, the ride has not been entirely smooth since then. In April, a report emerged that Human Head had company's games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116867-Rumor-Contract-Dispute-Halted-Prey-2-Development], current or forthcoming. Everything from Doom 2 to The Elder Scrolls Online is up there, but no Prey 2.

According to a Bethesda rep, however, we shouldn't read too much into it. "Since we had already announced it wasn't coming out this year and we don't have anything new to say on the game at this time, we simply didn't think it'd be appropriate to include it on the new site launch," the rep told IGN. "We chose instead to focus on the upcoming titles we are talking about."

That's an interesting spin, and while I don't want to speak out of turn and say that I'm not buying it, I'm not buying it. "Nothing new to say" is one but, but hiding the very existence of a game that's been announced and is being actively developed is something that no rational game company would do. I hope that Prey 2 comes to life someday, and that it's every bit as cool as the 2011 E3 trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110622-Live-Action-Prey-2-Trailer-Will-Change-Your-Mind] made it appear. But I'm not holding my breath.

Source: IGN [http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/08/20/prey-2-removed-from-bethesdas-website]

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I liked the concept they had planned, but considering we haven't even seen proper ingame footage, I'd be positively surprised if it actually came out someday.

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
Shame. Thoroughly enjoyed the original Prey(gravity, wall walking, ghosting, portals, so much fun!), was looking forward to the next installment. If development and eventual release does happen, hope it gets the care and polish it deserves.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Piorn said:
I'd be positively surprised if it actually came out someday.
I think that was everybody's response to the release of Prey (it was certainly my response). It fell off the radar completely around about '97 or '98, only to (seemingly) come out of nowhere nearly a decade later. So I guess we can expect to see Prey 2 on shelves/Steam around about 2020=ish?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Piorn said:
I liked the concept they had planned, but considering we haven't even seen proper ingame footage, I'd be positively surprised if it actually came out someday.
Wasnt that the same deal with the first game? Which, thinking about it, as good as Prey might have been (havent played it to tell), is it really worth waiting that long to find out?

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Piorn said:
I thought it did...and voilà!
Having said that, there are usually huge differences between what's shown at E3 and what's the final product.

For instance this demo for Halo 2 way back in 2004 was almost completely overhauled before it went gold[footnote]I remember seeing Bungie say something to that effect in a vlog[/footnote].

Back to the topic at hand, I'm very sad so see this game dissapear. Although I haven't played Prey (I probably didn't have an 360 at the time) it looks like a cool premise and world to play around in, especially as a bounty hunter!

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
NONONO, you all got this wrong! It's an ARG. We have to find clues scattered across time, space and reality. Quickly, grab my left toenail, we're going back to the future, to save the past of Prey 2!

praus

Jun 21, 2010
I think I'll write Bathesda a letter asking for info about this game. Perhaps if enough interested gamers follow my example, they'll be more motivated to work out whatever dispute they're having with the developer.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I feel filthy now, but I had to go in and get this quote:

The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards

I love scrolls as much as the next guy, but Bethesda having quality standards is hilarious. Did they fix Skyrim on ps3 yet?

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
NLS said:
NONONO, you all got this wrong! It's an ARG. We have to find clues scattered across time, space and reality. Quickly, grab my left toenail, we're going back to the future, to save the past of Prey 2!
Umm. Ok... I'm holding onto it and I've brought my microwave like you said, what now?

OT: Damn, somehow this is the first time I've heard of Prey 2 and I liked Prey so this just makes me double sad.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
No word on Fallout 4 either, which is a little saddening, considering that means that for the foreseeable future, I only have 200 hours of New Vegas to get through. So... not that saddening at all really. :)

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Why do I preorder anymore?
Seriously though I'm holding on to that little slip incase this turns into a DNF wait.
Why you ask, well pay plus wait equals swag.

Captcha: Game Over

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
...WHAT?

B-But I want it! At least give me some snips gameplay footage, fake screenshots, anything! I just want to be a space bounty hunter!