Back to Block

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Back to Block

Anticipating the upcoming Standard format by reviewing the Innistrad Block Constructed meta.

Read Full Article

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Encaen said:
Back to Block

Anticipating the upcoming Standard format by reviewing the Innistrad Block Constructed meta.

Read Full Article
There were some epic trololol moments in the top 8 tables of the world cup which made it a joy to watch.

I see us transitioning into more midrangey decks come rotation with a heavy focus on your 3-5 slot. Three colour decks will be more common too as your mana base shores up with (hopefully) the shocks granting you easy sources of coloured mana that can be tutored by the likes of farseek.

There won't be any obviously powerful instants/sorceries in the next block though due to Tiago but one can hope wizards make a [mtg_card=Skullclamp] esque mistake and let us have some fun.

Maro's been tweeting and tumblring that there will be RTR stuff at PAX this weekend which will be good and official previews of cards start on the 3rd of Sep so we can start to get a feel for the set after that.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Delver will fall out of favor among top players with Mana Leak and Vapor Snag (plus the occasional sword in place of Pike) leaving. Pure control is not in the "cards" for magic these days.

It all depends what RtR gives. If they give the dual basics like expected, green will be a very popular combination with red.
Permission control? Nahhh, not in standard at any rate. Other control decks such as the Gilded Grixis control deck making the rounds on MODO recently can still work pretty well.

Delver of Secrets will still be played but simply because he's still the most stupid one drop currently in existence but the decks with him in probably won't be the tempo based ones we're used to unless some decent cantrips are printed.

Gruul (The R/G guild) isn't in RTR but in Gatecrash so you'd have to wait till Feb for that shockland :p

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Delver will fall out of favor among top players with Mana Leak and Vapor Snag (plus the occasional sword in place of Pike) leaving. Pure control is not in the "cards" for magic these days.

It all depends what RtR gives. If they give the dual basics like expected, green will be a very popular combination with red.
I'd love to see Delver fall by the wayside myself, or at the very least force some kind of real innovation to stay relevant.

I'm hoping so much for RtR to bring shock lands or something similar back, to bring [mtg_card=Liliana of the Dark Realms] into the mix. :D

TheGuy(wantstobe) said:

Permission control? Nahhh, not in standard at any rate. Other control decks such as the Gilded Grixis control deck making the rounds on MODO recently can still work pretty well.

Delver of Secrets will still be played but simply because he's still the most stupid one drop currently in existence but the decks with him in probably won't be the tempo based ones we're used to unless some decent cantrips are printed.

Gruul (The R/G guild) isn't in RTR but in Gatecrash so you'd have to wait till Feb for that shockland :p
Oooh! Where'd you read about Gruul not being in RTR? Did they announce the Guild presence and I missed it somehow?!

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Encaen said:
Oooh! Where'd you read about Gruul not being in RTR? Did they announce the Guild presence and I missed it somehow?!
Was announced weeks ago which guilds were gonna be in each set.
In RTR we have
Azorius - U/W - unknown
Selesnya - W/G - Populate
Rakdos - B/R - unknown
Golgari - G/B - Scavenge
Izzet - U/R - unknown

Planewalkers: Jace and 1 unkown

All the other guilds are in Gatecrash. Gatecrash is another large set which is going to have a sealed format of 6x GTC drafted as 3x GTC.
Orzhov - B/W
Dimir - U/B
Gruul - G/R
Boros - R/W
Simic - U/G

Planeswalkers: Gideon and 1 unkown

The third set, codename Sinker, is a small set with all 10 guilds. It will be drafted as Sinker, GTC, RTR in that order. Sealed format will probably be 4 Sinker 1 GTC 1 RTR

Planeswalkers: unknown

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I expect that once we figure out what's in RtR we will be able to see what's going to develop. I see red remaining strong in standard due to Bonfire alone, but I also expect to see something currently forgotten to pick up as a big new thing. It might be something like an odd little Grixis reanimation deck using Gravecrawler and Flayer, with Havengul Lich as a second zombie. There might also be harvester of souls for card advantage, and Heartless summoning to add in ping damage plus card for B.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Encaen said:
Back to Block

Read Full Article
There were some epic trololol moments in the top 8 tables of the world cup which made it a joy to watch.

I see us transitioning into more midrangey decks come rotation with a heavy focus on your 3-5 slot. Three colour decks will be more common too as your mana base shores up with (hopefully) the shocks granting you easy sources of coloured mana that can be tutored by the likes of farseek.

There won't be any obviously powerful instants/sorceries in the next block though due to Tiago but one can hope wizards make a [mtg_card=Skullclamp] esque mistake and let us have some fun.

Maro's been tweeting and tumblring that there will be RTR stuff at PAX this weekend which will be good and official previews of cards start on the 3rd of Sep so we can start to get a feel for the set after that.
A slower format would be a godsend. U/B Control not being outright unplayable would be nice.

Oct 30, 2010
I'm going to try my damnedest to make U/W Miracle Control work, but for the moment I need a lot from RtR; Replacements for Pristine Talisman and Day of Judgement to start with.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
After AVR and M13 it just seems like ramp is going to be the deck to beat. It's too fast for control and aggro decks can't compete with turn 4 Wolfir Silverheart.

As sad as it sounds, I actually hope Delver gets some new support in RTR. Disruptive aggro strategies are the only thing that can put a stop to total ramp dominance. That or B/R zombies making a comeback (Rakdos in RTR!).

Encaen

May 6, 2005
4173 said:
I'm going to try my damnedest to make U/W Miracle Control work, but for the moment I need a lot from RtR; Replacements for Pristine Talisman and Day of Judgement to start with.
I'd love to see some Standard fare UW Miracles with RtR! It even seems like [mtg_card=Index] could do as much work as [mtg_card=Ponder] for Miracle builds. Unfortunately, as you said, we still need a replacement for [mtg_card=Day of Judgment], and I just don't see [mtg_card=Planar Cleansing] cutting it.

Stevepinto3 said:
After AVR and M13 it just seems like ramp is going to be the deck to beat. It's too fast for control and aggro decks can't compete with turn 4 Wolfir Silverheart.

As sad as it sounds, I actually hope Delver gets some new support in RTR. Disruptive aggro strategies are the only thing that can put a stop to total ramp dominance. That or B/R zombies making a comeback (Rakdos in RTR!).
Haha, that's fair. I'm a big Ramp player myself, so I wouldn't take much offense if ramp strategies did turn out to be dominant, but I suppose in the interest of a diverse metagame, we can hope that Delver gets enough tools to keep it competitive without necessarily maintaining its current position.

Oct 30, 2010
Encaen said:
4173 said:
I'd love to see some Standard fare UW Miracles with RtR! It even seems like [mtg_card=Index] could do as much work as [mtg_card=Ponder] for Miracle builds. Unfortunately, as you said, we still need a replacement for [mtg_card=Day of Judgment], and I just don't see [mtg_card=Planar Cleansing] cutting it.

Stevepinto3 said:

Haha, that's fair. I'm a big Ramp player myself, so I wouldn't take much offense if ramp strategies did turn out to be dominant, but I suppose in the interest of a diverse metagame, we can hope that Delver gets enough tools to keep it competitive without necessarily maintaining its current position.
I forgot the loss of [mtg_card=Timely Reinforcements], RtR really needs to deliver.[mtg_card=Index] does hold some appeal, but if it whiffs the card disadvantage might be too much to handle. Wtb [mtg_card=Sensei's Divining Top] anyone?

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
So... Taiwan won then? Not sure why wotc/scapist felt the need to go with the PRC's name for it.