Molyneux's Curiosity Delayed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Molyneux's Curiosity Delayed

You're going to have to wait a little longer to find out what's inside the cube.

You know about Peter Molyneux's Curiosity, right? It's a giant cube made of 60 million individual blocks that "players" can chip away at with different kinds of virtual chisels available at a range of prices, including the infamous diamond chisel that costs almost $80,000 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117778-Molyneuxs-Curiosity-Offers-77-800-DLC]. The big question, obviously, is what's inside. Nobody knows, but Molyneux promises it will be "life-changing."

Of course, he also promised back in early June that Curiosity would be out within six weeks. For those without the benefit of a calendar at their fingertips, that means it's now actually about six weeks overdue, and it's going to be a little while longer before we can start whacking away at the thing.

On the upside, we have this brief, stylish new trailer to look at. It doesn't say anything new beyond revealing the updated and very vague launch window of September 2012, but it's kind of groovy. And more to the point, it's as close as we're going to get to Peter's cube for at least a couple more weeks.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I fail to see what could delay a game about picking away at one single cube.

Maybe people are just tired of Molyneux and he wants to try to drum up whatever little hype he can get?
I hope no one bothers. I could not give less of a shit about what's in the cube.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
For some reason, i see the words "Curiosity Delayed" and can't help but think that that's the title for the next Radiohead album...

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
There is nothing in that cube, it is probably just some words of inspiration which will piss off everyone who spent money on it.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Well if your willing o waste $80,000 on something's that virtual, then your life defenatly need changing.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
If the "life-changing" part doesn't come with a money-back guarantee, I'm still betting on it being a trollface.
'cos it'll change your life, all right.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
I'm not sure about anyone else, but now I REALLY want to know what's inside, I'm so curi...
oh you clever bastard molyneux

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
AdamG3691 said:
I'm not sure about anyone else, but now I REALLY want to know what's inside, I'm so curi...
oh you clever bastard molyneux
Yeah, same here. I wasn't before, but now that it's going to be 3 months overdue...

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Credit to Molyneux, in an industry that can be famously repressive to creative ideas, he is determined to do quite literally whatever he wants. Gotta respect that
I'm reminded of the game Chu<3lip. Came with a strategy guide in the booklet... which was required because it made Absolutely NO Sense. I was like some being with no understanding of human relationships (or how a human brain works) made a romantic RPG set in a run-down ghetto 10 miles down the train track from Animal Crossing. It was bizarre, infuriating, nonsensical... and I could not put it down...

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Props to Molyneux for at least trying something new, but his track record isn't encouraging. Black & White was supposed to redefine player engagement, and it didn't. The Movies was going to change player involvement, and it didn't. The Fable series was going to break new ground as an RPG series and, well...

I'm expecting the cube's core to be underwhelming. They'll have found some sort of axiom that provides a nice metaphor for wasting your time whacking away at a cube with no real purpose behind it, something that's supposed to have you go "Oh, yeah! That does fit with what I've been doing! I feel so enlightened, right now!"

But honestly? Nope. Won't happen.

If Dungeon Keeper 3's at the core, then it'll be another story. Molyneux will have become the biggest fucking PR troll in the industry, if he isn't already.

Wait, no. That title belongs to GabeN.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Th37thTrump3t said:
Am I the only one who hasn't heard of this until just now?
You didn't get the personal email from Peter? Check your Spam box, it most probably still there.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
I'm expecting the inside of the cube to be either the second coming of Jesus, or a rick roll.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
elilupe said:
I'm expecting the inside of the cube to be either the second coming of Jesus, or a rick roll.
A Rickroll would be better than what I'm expecting.

Y'know, when Molyneux announced these "experiments" I expected some of them to be complete crap. I didn't expect him to LEAD with a combo exercise in player abuse/naked money grab.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
The one thing you can be sure will be inside the box is disappointment. Or copies of Fable 2 and 3. So just disappointment really.