Haunted Floppy Drives Play Entire Ghostbusters Theme

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Haunted Floppy Drives Play Entire Ghostbusters Theme

This chorus of retired computer drives proves that floppy disks aren't quite dead.

So, I'm not going to cloud the issue here. To the right is a video of some floppy drives reprogrammed to kick out a whopping 3:56 rendition of the entire Ghostbusters theme song. I'll give you a moment to crank up your speakers and pine for the days of 3.5-inch magnetic storage.

I'd rather believe that this little metallic concert was the product of eight non-repeating phantasms or class-5 free roaming vapors (some real nasty ones, too) haunting someone's oddball collection of outdated data drives, but sadly, our old friends software and science were to blame once again. Sigh.

Video uploader MrSolidSnake745 (who will henceforth be referred to as "The Gatekeeper") built his rig around open-source software created by fellow YouTube user Sammy1Am (who will henceforth be referred to as "The Keymaster"). The Keymaster's program allows users to covert MIDI files in specialized data packets, which The Gatekeeper then transmits to the disk drives via something called an Arduino board. The result is a small army of outdated machines programmed to chirp out a pop-culture swansong at their owner's spontaneous behest.

The classic theme is, admittedly, a pretty catchy tune, so just in case you were planning on singing along, I've helpfully included some of the lyrics below:

Doo do dodado doo do doo do, doo do dodado doo do doo do.
Wahda dah da dah da. Whadadadadada. Wahda dah da dah da. Whadadadadada.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
>.>

you know, it doesn't sound half bad ether. it's at least better then the version in the NES game

thus, approval has been granted

edit: holy hell o.0!! listen to some of the other stuff they've done with the floppy drives

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Brings the nostalgia rushing back I tell ya! Man I used to love working with MIDIs way back in the day. Of course I also used to love working with Mario Paint too. The music generator on that game was actually pretty decent for it's time.

The other thing I liked doing with Mario Paint was taking cross stitch books and using the patterns in them as guide for doing really detailed (for the time at least) pictures. I'm pretty sure I have a couple of old VHS tapes around someplace that has all of that crap on there.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
That was... pretty cool actually.

(Psst. If anyone wants to make it their ringtone, I suggest recording the music via phone and saving it as their ringtone. Hey, the process worked for me...)

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Huh... I wonder if one of these two people is the same guy who ? YEP! Sammy1Am was the guy who did those My Little Pony songs on floppy drives! I think I like the sound of the drives he uses better. SolidSnake's are a bit too scratchy.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Your lyrics made me laugh out loud in my lab. Now my colleagues are wondering how humor snuck in.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Sadly, I know what an Arduino board. Though I still would like to know who figured out what pitch reading from various locations gives off. Controlling scanning is easy, doing music theory is hard. Also, obligatory 'Who you gonna call?'

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
I was really angry reading this at the beginning because sammy did this months ago but sammy got his props so i suppose Mike and darkknight can live.

This is my personal favorite of sammy's and find it holds up really well.

if you want to see more of sammy's work check out this link:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=SP36C5EBE91FEA5146&feature=playlist-comment

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
snekadid said:
I was really angry reading this at the beginning because sammy did this months ago but sammy got his props so i suppose Mike and darkknight can live.

This is my personal favorite of sammy's and find it holds up really well.

if you want to see more of sammy's work check out this link:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=SP36C5EBE91FEA5146&feature=playlist-comment
Batman and I certainly appreciate it.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Daft Punk need to create an original score with something like this for the next Tron movie. I think it is just epic sounding.