Modder Fixes Dark Souls PC Port in 23 Minutes

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Modder Fixes Dark Souls PC Port in 23 Minutes

A graphics issue From Software couldn't fix in a year took one enterprising NeoGAF user less than half an hour.

If you're a PC gamer, it's easy to feel like you're getting a raw deal compared to your console brethren. If it's not <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113297-Rocksteady-Promises-PC-Version-of-Arkham-City-Will-Be-Worth-the-Wait>the lenghty wait before the PC version of your game is released, then it's the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113479-Graphics-Card-Drivers-To-Blame-For-Rages-PC-Issues>frustrating bugs and graphical issues that the console editions don't seem to have. The problem is that unlike consoles, no two computer configurations are alike, so PC developers need either time to code and test their software, or they need to cut visual features to make the release date. Such was the case with the Dark Souls: Prepare to Die PC port, which <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118964-Dark-Souls-Port-Brings-Console-Problems-to-PC>sacrificed higher resolutions and other graphical fixes so that the game could be released this year. Which made it all the more surprising when NeoGAF user Durante was able to whip together his own resolution fix within 23 minutes of release, and made it available online for everyone to enjoy.

"It's an interception d3d9.dll that you place in the same folder as the game executable," Durante writes on the NeoGAF forums. "It intercepts the game's calls to the DirectX 9 API and changes them as necessary to enable a higher internal rendering resolution."

To be fair, Durante did have more than a half hour to work on his Dark Souls fix. In the week leading up to the release, he prepared the dll framework that would allow him to quickly enhance the game's 1024x768 resolution when he could finally get a hold of the game itself. Durante notes that he's only been able to test the first half-hour of Dark Souls on his system, but <a href=http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/dark-souls/1225853p1.html>GameSpy is also reporting 2048x1440 resolutions with no anti-aliasing, and the fix even restores some blurring problems players were reporting.

Anyone looking to try out Durante's fix <a href=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240>can find it here. If the problem really is that easy to correct, hopefully developer From Software will have an official fix out in the near future.

Source: Joystiq

felbot

May 11, 2011
well this is embarrassing, for the guys at from software that is, atleast they admitted they where awful but i didn't think it was this bad.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
I'm still never buying a game from them ever again because of this. Not the game's quality, the fact that they gave in to those entitled jerk PC Gamers.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
hmm if only i didn't have it for ps3 this might be worth it. well you won't be missed judgement for any reason

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Poor FROM Software has never been that good at PC ports...

Anybody remember the PC version of Ninja Blade? You know, the one that was near un-completeable thanks to a bug with the Walljump move?

At least they usually make good games aside from that.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Well this is just sad, isn't it?

Judgement101 said:
I'm still never buying a game from them ever again because of this. Not the game's quality, the fact that they gave in to those entitled jerk PC Gamers.
This is even sadder.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Judgement101 said:
Um, what?
Really, as console gamer I am seriously confused as to why PC gamers can't ask for ports of games. Sure some are a little elitist, but you have to understand that consoles are using 6 year old hardware. PC gamers just want their games to be in 2012 not 2006.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Judgement101 said:
Dude, I do console and PC, and while am a console guy first and formost and people who honestly belive in the whole "glorious PC gaming master race" really annoy me, I don't think it's too far out of line for them to ask for a half-decent port.

HamsterPants

Apr 30, 2012
Judgement101 said:
ThePS1Fan said:
Judgement101 said:
Um, what?
Really, as console gamer I am seriously confused as to why PC gamers can't ask for ports of games. Sure some are a little elitist, but you have to understand that consoles are using 6 year old hardware. PC gamers just want their games to be in 2012 not 2006.
Here's my take on things: Console gamers just play a game and enjoy it, like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were just console RPGs that console gamers like and didn't brag about. PC Gamers on the other hand brag about their games, "We get 64 person BF3 server and we have waaaay better graphics." They brag about their games but now that console gamers have a good game a lot of PC gamers decided to start bitching at FromSoft acting like entitled jackasses saying "WE DESERVE A GOOD PORT OF THIS!!!" In all honestly, if I worked at From, I would have made the game delete System 32 and then install keyloggers. (I have a deep hatred for PC gamers)
Your generalizations are exactly that, generalizations. You are blinded by your contempt and don't see that porting Dark Souls to PC is a good thing for everyone, even if the port sucks.

How often do you see a company like Namco Bandai listening to a petition on the internet? Much less, one that's asking them to port a game to PC? Look at the big picture from all perspectives and stop using everything as a hate vehicle, it is easy to not give a crap about elitist PC gamers. I play on console and PC, so elitists are retarded in my eyes, but I can just as well ignore them.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Judgement101 said:
delete System 32 and then install keyloggers.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't deleting System 32 completely fuck up their computers? Making the keyloggers kinda useless.

As for the other stuff. Yeah some are like that. They suck, whatever, people suck. Doesn't change that there are legitimately good PC gamers who should be able to ask for a port of a game.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I don't understand how the screen resolution can even be an issue in todays games. It should basically be just a switch. There can be problems with UI layout and other things that may depend on a specific screen size, if it's badly programmed, but the resolution change itself should not be the problem.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
ThePS1Fan said:
Judgement101 said:
delete System 32 and then install keyloggers.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't deleting System 32 completely fuck up their computers? Making the keyloggers kinda useless.

As for the other stuff. Yeah some are like that. They suck, whatever, people suck. Doesn't change that there are legitimately good PC gamers who should be able to ask for a port of a game.
You're right, I'm angry at the minority in a much larger majority, I really shouldn't hate all PC gamers.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Judgement101 said:
Righttttt
Because the 13 years spewing racist slurs at me on Xbox live and PSN were totally nice people...
Pot calling the kettle black and all that.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Judgement101 said:
You're right, I'm angry at the minority in a much larger majority, I really shouldn't hate all PC gamers.
Can't blame you. Every group ever will be recognised by the most vocal members, and more times than not the most vocal members are the worst.