Activision Has 350 IPs for Mobile Game Development

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Activision Has 350 IPs for Mobile Game Development

When it comes to iOS games, every Activision brand is on the table.

If you spend any significant amount of time following videogames (and if you're reading this right now, chances are good that you do), you'll be familiar with Activision. This gargantuan company is one of the biggest players in the business, and not without good reason: It owns some of gaming's biggest brands, from Call of Duty to World of Warcraft. Not everyone likes Activision [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117556-UPDATE-Activision-and-West-Zampella-Settle], of course, but even its biggest critics have to admit that it knows which way the wind is blowing. It wants to make a splash in the growing market of mobile gaming, and rather than developing a brand new franchise to do so, it would rather dip into its existing IPs - all 350 or so of them.

According to Greg Canessa, Activision's vice president of mobile gaming, "We want to create mobile games from all of these aspects of the Activision portfolio, and build a variety of experiences." Absolutely nothing - no matter how obscure or entrenched in a particular system - was off the table. "We have a rich thirty-year history from the Atari days to the Blizzard merger. We have about 350 different brands and IPs to work with." While some of Activision's major brands like Starcraft or Skylanders might seem like the obvious go-to choices, its mobile studio's debut release was Pitfall on iOS, so the company seems serious about mining older properties.

The decision makes financial sense, too. "The creation of new IP is expensive," explains Canessa, reasoning that just about any IP in the Activision bullpen has at least a little bit of brand recognition that it can leverage in promoting a new game. "Some IP probably maps better to mobile devices, but mobile allows for all kinds of genres ... So we're not ruling out any IP."

Gamers might also be interested to know that one of Canessa's primary interests is bringing more traditional core genres to the mobile space instead of just sims and puzzles. "I'm very interested in the strategy space and what we can do there," he says, and adds that "On mobiles there has been a lack of great action games due to user-interface issues. I think there's a tremendous opportunity for us to innovate in that space." While this will leave some fans clamoring for a new Warcraft RTS or an eminently portable Call of Duty, personally, I'll be holding out something involving those loveable scamps, The Lost Vikings [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Vikings].

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/364745/activision-we-are-considering-all-our-brands-for-mobile/]

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Call of Duty: Mobile Warfare, Call of Duty: Phone Warfare, Call of Duty: iOS Warfare, Call of Duty: Andriod Warfare, Call of Duty: Apple Warfare, and of course their new MMO, World of Duty: The Frozen Thronefare.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
How is creating a new IP expensive? I mean, it -does- require creative thought and you guys have a huge problem with that, but you don't have to invest anything except thought into the creation of new IP.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
PrinceOfShapeir said:
How is creating a new IP expensive? I mean, it -does- require creative thought and you guys have a huge problem with that, but you don't have to invest anything except thought into the creation of new IP.
Among other things, patent issues, I imagine. Also, you need to pay artists for concept art of your new IP. And promoting it needs advertising, more money gone. Other creative people want to be paid as well.

Face it, creating IPs is incredibly expensive.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Bloodstain said:
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Among other things, patent issues, I imagine. Also, you need to pay artists for concept art of your new IP. And promoting it needs advertising, more money gone. Other creative people want to be paid as well.

And Activision owns everyone's money, so what's the problem?

Chubbs99

Dec 29, 2009
I may be wrong here, and maybe this is just realllly high hopes... but isn't activision the current holder of bulfrog ip's? specifically Dungeon Keeper. so if they want to use all aspects of their ip portfolio does this mean there is a super tiny chance at a DK mobile game? I could only dream so much...

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Chubbs99 said:
I may be wrong here, and maybe this is just realllly high hopes... but isn't activision the current holder of bulfrog ip's? specifically Dungeon Keeper. so if they want to use all aspects of their ip portfolio does this mean there is a super tiny chance at a DK mobile game? I could only dream so much...
I'm fairly sure that's Electronic Arts, actually.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
GenGenners said:
Bloodstain said:
PrinceOfShapeir said:

And Activision owns everyone's money, so what's the problem?
Why spend money on something you are not sure people will enjoy, when there is plenty of stuff already there that people still love and enjoy?

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Hmm, a mobile RTS sounds like an interesting idea.

It would be fun too see some oldies on the mobile platform, but I hope they will be updated.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
350 IP's ready for iOS. But how many SHOULD be ported to iOS? I am thinking that number would decline a lot if reality was taken into account.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Bloodstain said:
Why spend money on something you are not sure people will enjoy, when there is plenty of stuff already there that people still love and enjoy?
And that is the #1 problem with current media in general: Everyone is happy with remakes and rehashes, so why even bother trying anything new?

Current mainstream media has nearly no culture of its own, ignoring the lavishly stupid (reality TV and online social fads mostly) or obnoxious (most modern pop music).

The Society of Derivatives.